New travel bans for entry into the US

President Biden will impose a ban on most non-U.S. citizens entering the country who have recently been in South Africa starting Saturday in a bid to contain the spread of a new variant of COVID-19, Biden on Monday is also reimposing an entry ban on nearly all non-U.S. travelers who have been in Brazil, the United Kingdom, Ireland and 26 countries in Europe.

Not that a lot of travel is going on anyway but you have to wonder when other countries will be added, especially Mexico that has very high Covid rates. And, eventually, a ban on US citizens traveling on non essential business. Or maybe quarantine hotels when you get back, at your expense of course.

Cruising just keeps fading into the horizon.

Edited by HaveWeMetYet

1 hour ago, Jax129 said:

How am I supposed to get a covid test to fly home when I'm on a cruise?  I think cruising Europe this summer is probably not going to happen for 

Last I heard most european countries are still banning travelers from the US, 

This will all change once everyone has the chance to get vaccinated. 

18 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

President Biden will impose a ban on most non-U.S. citizens entering the country who have recently been in South Africa starting Saturday in a bid to contain the spread of a new variant of COVID-19, Biden on Monday is also reimposing an entry ban on nearly all non-U.S. travelers who have been in Brazil, the United Kingdom, Ireland and 26 countries in Europe.

Not that a lot of travel is going on anyway but you have to wonder when other countries will be added, especially Mexico that has very high Covid rates. And, eventually, a ban on US citizens traveling on non essential business. Or maybe quarantine hotels when you get back, at your expense of course.

Cruising just keeps fading into the horizon.

Come March when we can all get stuck in the arm I think cruising will get a green light for late summertime/fall.... If Royal will require their staff to get VAX + passengers VAX then what is the hold up?  

Hey at least California is opening back up - so much for the ICU capacity none sense.  Ah, Michigan and Illinois too.  I'm sure the timing isn't coincidental ! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TheMastodon said:

Come March when we can all get stuck in the arm I think cruising will get a green light for late summertime/fall.... If Royal will require their staff to get VAX + passengers VAX then what is the hold up?  

Hey at least California is opening back up - so much for the ICU capacity none sense.  Ah, Michigan and Illinois too.  I'm sure the timing isn't coincidental ! 

Massachusetts is relaxing restrictions also.

7 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

A lot of the big resorts in Mexico are preparing to do the testing for their guests.

They need to do something.  The local testing is costing on average about $250 pp.  Cabo is also moving from level 3 to 4, reducing capacity in bars / restaurants again.

Returned last night from Cancun...Hotel had already started free testing on site.  Unfortunately the 7-10 day quarantine upon returning home is causing a large decrease in immediate bookings/cancelations at resorts.  The resort we stayed at implemented a layoff of a number of employees while we were there.  Staff shared this with us and noted it was due to a huge increase in cancellations.

Americans are very lucky to have beautiful warm places to vacation in the winter as opposed to us up north in Canada. The benefit is also American $$$ spent in your country. We had a similar situation here in the summer and businesses were quite happy to get our vacation $$$.  Hoping to be able to return next winter to Florida or Arizona. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/24/2021 at 7:57 PM, John&LaLa said:

Any work on the new Galveston terminal 

Construction to start in April. See Royal Caribbean's new Galveston cruise terminal is going ahead on the Gulf Coast Departures forum.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Beeline Cruiser said:

And RCL is seriously still KEEPING deposits for Alaska this year??

No they aren’t.  Anyone can cancel now for a full refund, or lift and shift to next year.  If they do decide to stick it out final payment is now 45 days. 

you can quit using “seriously” anytime now

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

you can quit using “seriously” anytime now

Woopsie, right?

And YES. They just want to keep all those deposits so everyone doesn't change their mind all at once! It is not even up to RCl (just Canada) but it is a game changer to hold everyone's money anyways!!

2 hours ago, Beeline Cruiser said:

Woopsie, right?

And YES. They just want to keep all those deposits so everyone doesn't change their mind all at once! It is not even up to RCl (just Canada) but it is a game changer to hold everyone's money anyways!!

Why is it a game changer? They aren't doing anything different than they have been doing before.

I kind of like Royal's approach to Alaska while we all wait to see what sort of hail mary last resort change might be come into force by the gov't to allow ships to visit Alaska assuming the CDC allows cruising in the first place.  Refunds for those that want it, stick around and wait for those that want to.  I don't see it happening but I'll follow along with the game.

I'd like to see the 45 day final payment date offered for Alaska/Canada NE to be implemented across the board.  Such a move would see me leaving my refundable deposits with them longer for cruises in other regions.   

I'll have to make a go/no-go call on Grandeur from Barbados late August if final payment is 90 days and if this test requirement to fly home is still in effect I'll probably not go.  If they make final payment 45 days it becomes mid-October and a lot can change by then.   

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

I don't know about international travel, but I have been hearing that once you have the second dose and travel in the US, you don't need to quarantine.

That's a states' right issue, not a federal one.  If your state wants to quarantine when the risk is extremely low, that's up to them.  Just as shutting down your state's economy through lockdown is up to the individual states.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Incognito1 said:

That's a states' right issue, not a federal one.  If your state wants to quarantine when the risk is extremely low, that's up to them.  Just as shutting down your state's economy through lockdown is up to the individual states.

Nope,  the requirement for a negative test and quarantine has been set by executive order from the white house.  And, the number of airports you can fly into from europe is set by the same order.  

14 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

I don't know about international travel, but I have been hearing that once you have the second dose and travel in the US, you don't need to quarantine.

You don't need to quarantine after potential exposure, but the CDC chose to ignore vaccinations in setting up their international airline testing protocol

• Like 3

On 2/15/2021 at 2:26 AM, crazyank said:

Nope,  the requirement for a negative test and quarantine has been set by executive order from the white house.  And, the number of airports you can fly into from europe is set by the same order.  

Travel in the US between states is up to the states, not someone negating states' rights by the stroke of an autopen.  See the various requirements SET BY STATES here: https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/us-state-travel-restrictions-covid-19/index.html

Perhaps you misread what I responded to and are only referring to international travel??

>>I don't know about international travel, but I have been hearing that once you have the second dose and travel in the US, you don't need to quarantine.<<