First Western Caribbean cruise.... Best ZIP LINE??

M4NNY305

Hello All!!

I am doing my first western caribbean with my wife and we want to do a zipline in one of the three ports that we are stopping.

I will be doing my own research on prices and length and all that but wanted to ask some of the CC experts.

We will be stopping at Costa Maya, Rotan & Cozumel.

Which destination offers the best ziplines??

Thanks in advanced for any advise.

I will be interested to see what members have to say. 

Roatan has several,  5-6 at last count, scattered about the island. If a zipline is your priority location may not matter, however if you are planning other stops during your visit, location may well be a thing. It also maybe worth while to to the math on the location of your port, there are two on the island. 

Roatan is an island off the coast of a third world county, at this point it is difficlut to know which businesses will have survived Covid by the time you arrive. 

• Like 1

We will be docking at Coxen Hole.
I just want to only Zipline in one of the 3 ports and prefer to pick the best of the 3.

I will do touring and shopping and eating at the rest of the ports.

I have zero interest in sitting at a beach drinking a drink.

Thanks!

17 hours ago, M4NNY305 said:

We will be docking at Coxen Hole.
I just want to only Zipline in one of the 3 ports and prefer to pick the best of the 3.

I will do touring and shopping and eating at the rest of the ports.

I have zero interest in sitting at a beach drinking a drink.

Thanks!

I will begin  by stating I have zero interest in zip lining and therefore no personal experience of the activity in any of the ports you have listed.

Normally you would have received several replies, however since there is very little activity on any of the port of call boards presently I will offer my opinion based on years of cruising to these ports and reading other people’s reviews and hope this provides an insight as to where to start.

Costa Maya has some zip lines associated with the water park (which I believe is currently closed). It will require an admission charge and will include other activities which may/may not interest you. Costa Maya had limited shore activities pre- Covid, mainly related to beach activities, excursions to the mayan ruins are very popular but excursions are predominantly related to sitting at a beach bar with a drink!

Cozumel has two or three zip line locations which again will include other activities but it is generally poorly rated as a port for zip lining. Cozumel has many other options normally. The port of call board is usually very active with many regular posters but presently is very quiet.

Roatan is generally the port recommended for zip lining, having several locations with zip lines of various intensity. Excursions can normally be booked independently or through the cruise line but no details presently as to what the restrictions will be going forward. I would suggest you research the options carefully. Fatalities have occurred on Roatan,  both through independent excursions and through the cruise line.  As Guest says there is no saying which of these companies will still be operational.

The search engine for this port should bring up lots information regarding reviews and information about the various companies. A general internet search will provide various tour operators and pricing.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Thanks 1

I wish add just one other thing... it would truly be a crime not to hop in the water to play with the fish...many believe the snorkling from Roatan to be the best in the Caribbean. 

Best of Luck in your search, I hope you find what you seek. 

• Like 1

Best cruise port for ziplining of the 3 ports mentioned:  Roatan.

From Coxen Hole, the best zip line is South Shore Canopy.  You zip between canyons and see the ocean.  Short cab ride on to West Bay beaches.

http://www.southshorezipline.com/

the other best from Coxen Hole is Pirates.

https://roatanpiratescanopy.com/extreme_zipline

• Thanks 1

On 1/27/2021 at 3:39 PM, Guest 2000 said:

I wish add just one other thing... it would truly be a crime not to hop in the water to play with the fish...many believe the snorkling from Roatan to be the best in the Caribbean. 

Best of Luck in your search, I hope you find what you seek. 

We may do snorkeling in Rotan. Just not interested in sitting Beach side with a Pina Colada, I can do that on the ship.

On 2/4/2021 at 12:19 PM, crewsweeper said:

Best cruise port for ziplining of the 3 ports mentioned:  Roatan.

From Coxen Hole, the best zip line is South Shore Canopy.  You zip between canyons and see the ocean.  Short cab ride on to West Bay beaches.

http://www.southshorezipline.com/

the other best from Coxen Hole is Pirates.

https://roatanpiratescanopy.com/extreme_zipline

Thank you! I will check them both out and book the one that works out perfect for us.

On 1/27/2021 at 12:48 AM, c-leg5 said:

I will begin  by stating I have zero interest in zip lining and therefore no personal experience of the activity in any of the ports you have listed.

Normally you would have received several replies, however since there is very little activity on any of the port of call boards presently I will offer my opinion based on years of cruising to these ports and reading other people’s reviews and hope this provides an insight as to where to start.

Costa Maya has some zip lines associated with the water park (which I believe is currently closed). It will require an admission charge and will include other activities which may/may not interest you. Costa Maya had limited shore activities pre- Covid, mainly related to beach activities, excursions to the mayan ruins are very popular but excursions are predominantly related to sitting at a beach bar with a drink!

Cozumel has two or three zip line locations which again will include other activities but it is generally poorly rated as a port for zip lining. Cozumel has many other options normally. The port of call board is usually very active with many regular posters but presently is very quiet.

Roatan is generally the port recommended for zip lining, having several locations with zip lines of various intensity. Excursions can normally be booked independently or through the cruise line but no details presently as to what the restrictions will be going forward. I would suggest you research the options carefully. Fatalities have occurred on Roatan,  both through independent excursions and through the cruise line.  As Guest says there is no saying which of these companies will still be operational.

The search engine for this port should bring up lots information regarding reviews and information about the various companies. A general internet search will provide various tour operators and pricing.

I greatly appreciate all the feedback!

On 2/7/2021 at 12:23 PM, M4NNY305 said:

We may do snorkeling in Rotan. Just not interested in sitting Beach side with a Pina Colada, I can do that on the ship.

I completly agree.  I have been visiting the island for over 20 years for up to three months at a time. I have not once sat on the beach drinking adult beverages. I walk a fair amount and some if that ends up being on a beach.   I will admit I enjoy reading my book on a second level covered deck with an amazing view.  :0) With that said I spend HEAPS of time in the water, snorkeling or just swiming. I took an inflatable kayak with me one year, paddled from West Bay to West End and swam back every day for 8 weeks. I was out there so much the water taxi guys started saying HI every time they pasted. One even got concerned about my health when the weather changed (big arse waves and wind) super fast, he offered to haul me into his boat. Ahh by then I was almost around Las Rocas Point where I could get out of the water.  Man! I miss that place something fearce. 

Oh and from what I understand the adult beverage of choice is called a Monkey LaLa. :0) 

Enjoy the island no matter what you choose to do! 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Guest 2000 said:

I completly agree.  I have been visiting the island for over 20 years for up to three months at a time. I have not once sat on the beach drinking adult beverages. I walk a fair amount and some if that ends up being on a beach.   I will admit I enjoy reading my book on a second level covered deck with an amazing view.  :0) With that said I spend HEAPS of time in the water, snorkeling or just swiming. I took an inflatable kayak with me one year, paddled from West Bay to West End and swam back every day for 8 weeks. I was out there so much the water taxi guys started saying HI every time they pasted. One even got concerned about my health when the weather changed (big arse waves and wind) super fast, he offered to haul me into his boat. Ahh by then I was almost around Las Rocas Point where I could get out of the water.  Man! I miss that place something fearce. 

Oh and from what I understand the adult beverage of choice is called a Monkey LaLa. :0) 

Enjoy the island no matter what you choose to do! 

My wife was born in La Ceiba and hasnt been back in over 20 years. I dont think she has ever been to Rotan so i plan on seeing as much of it as we can and eating some good food.

• 2 months later...