How Adult is the Adult Entertainment?

OarToOar

Hi, this may seen like a strange question but:

A) I have stayed in resorts and read reports of other cruise lines where the only difference between the family entertainment and the ‘adults only’ version is that there’s only adults in the audience. Otherwise the performer does the exact same set. 

B) Coming from the UK, we have different attitudes than the US in regards to what isn’t acceptable for children/teens. 

I want to know how mature the adults entertainment gets in regards to language, sexual references and even nudity. If anyone is willing to share information about the different ‘adult only’ shows like the gameshows, the live comedy & even things like Sexiest Man contest, i would be very grateful. 

Thanks in advance

18 minutes ago, OarToOar said:

I want to know how mature the adults entertainment gets in regards to language, sexual references and even nudity.

That is about as subjective as the food - it's all in the eyes and ears of the beholder.

Edited by Biker19

It would depend on the performer/comic.  Adult only shows tell you that the performer can do and say anything.  As far as other items, like Quest, the cruise line will tell you keep you kids out.  It's like this, they don't want to ask a 14 year old girl to take off a bra......or a 14 year old boy strutting his stuff on stage.....So they need to go hang out with friends.  

16 minutes ago, OarToOar said:

Hi, this may seen like a strange question but:

A) I have stayed in resorts and read reports of other cruise lines where the only difference between the family entertainment and the ‘adults only’ version is that there’s only adults in the audience. Otherwise the performer does the exact same set. 

B) Coming from the UK, we have different attitudes than the US in regards to what isn’t acceptable for children/teens. 

I want to know how mature the adults entertainment gets in regards to language, sexual references and even nudity. If anyone is willing to share information about the different ‘adult only’ shows like the gameshows, the live comedy & even things like Sexiest Man contest, i would be very grateful. 

Thanks in advance

The comedy shows on the Oasis class ships are definitely different. Very adult in content.  The Quest seems to have been toned down in recent years but is still adult only.  The only other one I can think of is the Love and Marriage show

In every situation that  could be offensive, there is usually a disclaimer that the  show contains curse words, adult themes  etc.

The performers at the  live comedy  club  on Oasis class ship will  use curse words.  It is an adult only show.   However, when they do a performance in the main theater, the jokes are  family friendly.  

The Quest game is for over 18 and that is mentioned many times at the beginning of the  event.  

The production shows/ ice show/diving show are ALL family friendly.  

The Broadway shows might  have an adult theme ( Grease has some dialogue that some could find offensive, Hairspray deals with segregation) 

The last time I saw any of the sexy man contest, there was some hip gyrating and maybe some suggestive dancing by buff guys.    It is so funny that  often the "old skinny guy"  wins!

I don't believe there is any performance/show  containing nudity on any RCCL ship.

M

Edit to add - By the way,  great question.  Not sure I've seen it before. 

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 1

What we endure being considered "adult" on RCCL is in no way, shape or form, "adult." It's more like a movie with a "PG-13" rating that snuck in a couple extra dirty words.

Generally it results in more adult topics like sexual situations, when it comes to various things like comics or marriage/newlywed-like games.

If you're from or even just familiar with European sensibilities, you'll probably laugh at the level to which they seriously consider these things for "adult" audiences only.

That's not to say I don't appreciate some things being limited to adult audiences only. Mostly because I get tired of enduring children crying or being nuisances during a show. Not because I fear for their well-being should they hear or see anything in these "adult" shows.

Edited by dswallow
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

Adult Entertainment: Many of the seven words you can't say on television, will be said.

This.  Went to an "adult" comedy show once where every other word was F.  Comedian seemed to think that made him funny.

• Like 3

I've seen parents realize the mistake of bringing teens when sexual content by a comedian became very much adult oriented.  It only took a few minutes for them to leave.  

Quest is definitely not something I'd bring a teen to.   Love and Marriage isn't too bad but they probably don't want non-adults present as it might discourage some participants on stage from talking more openly with kids in the audience looking up at them.  

When I was on Anthem in 2018 the comic doing the "adult" comedy show (or maybe the CD doing the intro) scanned the audience and made sure that anyone appearing "under-age" was either out of the theater or there with an adult that agreed to them being there.

15 minutes ago, yogimax said:

"Adult" Comedy is often a third rate comedian who tosses numerous "F bombs" into their act because they lack the talent to make the audience laugh otherwise.

Exactly what is your definition of often. I'm weary of being corrected. Humor is after all, subjective

FWIW, a skilled comic can weave the Fbombs in and be hillarious.  I'd say 75% of the acts I've seen in the Adult venue are effing hillarious 

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 3

Just now, John&LaLa said:

Typical.

I'd say 75% of the acts I've seen in the Adult venue are effing hillarious

Just what I expected.

I'd say 75% of the acts I've seen in the Adult venue are awful (That's why I stopped at four).

But as you say, it is certainly subjective

34 minutes ago, hallux said:

When I was on Anthem in 2018 the comic doing the "adult" comedy show (or maybe the CD doing the intro) scanned the audience and made sure that anyone appearing "under-age" was either out of the theater or there with an adult that agreed to them being there.

Our last cruise just happened to be on Carnival Pride in July 2019 because I broke my ankle a month later and we had to cancel our Nov HOS ones, oh well.  Anyway, in the Comedy Club on Carnival, they make an announcement that everyone under 18 needs to leave and if they see someone they think is under 18, they will ask for age confirmation (sea pass card) and have them leave.  For some reason RCI is afraid to enforce some of their own rules.  I've also seen comedians who state they will get even raunchier if someone decides to bring their kids to the show, just to make a point.  There are plenty of family friendly shows.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twangster said:

I've seen parents realize the mistake of bringing teens when sexual content by a comedian became very much adult oriented.  It only took a few minutes for them to leave.  

Quest is definitely not something I'd bring a teen to.   Love and Marriage isn't too bad but they probably don't want non-adults present as it might discourage some participants on stage from talking more openly with kids in the audience looking up at them.  

Some of the funniest Love and Marriage shows that I have seen have been on our holiday cruises when the large multi generational families get either Mom and Dad or Grandma and Grandpa up on the stage revealing their secrets with the entire family in attendance.  It's just as much fun watching the families reaction as it is watching the spouses.

I think there is more than one category for “adult” shows.

Quest is junior high school humor, gags.  Every junior high student has heard and witnessed worse.  I can tolerate Quest just to see the commotion.

Then there are the comedians, who get a kick out of saying wordy dirds, and are in the gutter with sexual speak, which somehow people think qualifies as comedic.  I would rather save my time to enjoy talent.

Eddie

16 minutes ago, Eddie Wilson said:

I think there is more than one category for “adult” shows.

Quest is junior high school humor, gags.  Every junior high student has heard and witnessed worse.  I can tolerate Quest just to see the commotion.

Then there are the comedians, who get a kick out of saying wordy dirds, and are in the gutter with sexual speak, which somehow people think qualifies as comedic.  I would rather save my time to enjoy talent.

Eddie

My advice is go and share your opinion with them. That usually works

3 hours ago, hallux said:

This has been my experience as well.  I've been to some shows where those underage were asked to leave and for the tamer shows they were allowed to stay as long as the adult consented.

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

My advice is go and share your opinion with them. That usually works

I have seen on YouTube some of those type comedians in an exchange with someone in the crowd, and that is definitely not what I would wish to encounter.  I think that would not work.

I figure I am an adult, and since they warned me about the show, if I go that’s my own fault if they get too offensive for me.

Although I have seen some adult orientated shows that were just plain hilarious without overuse of wordy dirds and sexual explicitness.  I wish I could name some, ....well one from a long time ago...I think Pete Barbutti? Or something like that.  I know there was a more recent one, hilarious guy, just can’t recall the name.

I have been to Quest several time, never had nudity, or if there was I missed it.

Eddie 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Eddie Wilson said:

I have seen on YouTube some of those type comedians in an exchange with someone in the crowd, and that is definitely not what I would wish to encounter.  I think that would not work.

I figure I am an adult, and since they warned me about the show, if I go that’s my own fault if they get too offensive for me.

Although I have seen some adult orientated shows that were just plain hilarious without overuse of wordy dirds and sexual explicitness.  I wish I could name some, ....well one from a long time ago...I think Pete Barbutti? Or something like that.  I know there was a more recent one, hilarious guy, just can’t recall the name.

I have been to Quest several time, never had nudity, or if there was I missed it.

Eddie 

It would work for the audience

That's what's fun about live comedy. Heckling

• Like 1