Azamara's Fleet is Growing

uktog

13 hours ago, aussie travel bird said:

To me and my valued Azamara Austrailain cruising friends we believe that, post Covid, when international travel might look different, there needs to be a ship based permantently in or out of Australia all year around. Australia has the largest growing cruise industry in the world.  It could be one of the small ships that could sail the entire year in Australian, New Zealand, Papua New Guinean, South Pacific and Hawaiian waters.  Very few ships go to places like Somoa, Port Moresby, Cook Islands, Bora Bora and the like to name a few......Just a thought....

Hear, hear.  Sign me up.  I would love a circumnavigation of Australia and a few other places thrown in.  We missed Bali on our cruise because of a security threat, would love to see it also Samoa.  We have been to Bora Bora twice and would even love to go again and do the Helmet Safari again.

19 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

No, we just happen to like the ships.  You've made clear you don't.  There's an obvious solution you can take so that you'll never have to set foot on an Azamara ship again.

It's quite clear to me and I am sure to many others that this is a very good news story that a small number would rather make something else out of and stick two fingers up to those who derive enjoyment from Azamara. There's a choice for them of course. They can choose to go somewhere that makes them happy or continue to come here and be stir it up for their  bit of "fun".  You do wonder what these people are like in real life. 

Phil 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

Hear, hear.  Sign me up.  I would love a circumnavigation of Australia and a few other places thrown in.  We missed Bali on our cruise because of a security threat, would love to see it also Samoa.  We have been to Bora Bora twice and would even love to go again and do the Helmet Safari again.

Funny. I was just sharing my Facebook memories from my Azamara trip a year ago yesterday with a Bora Bora photo. I actually thought Moorea was even more beautiful.  Got back from that cruise in February and it all went rapidly downhill and have been locked down ever since!

Phil 

BF68850C-F5B7-41D6-B665-6B7DBA619CCD.jpeg

• Like 4

Yes, I would agree that Moorea is more beautiful, Phil.  The extraordinary fact about Bora Bora was the Helmet Dive we went on.  I am NOT a water person, but that dive was memorable, touching the rays etc.  We went down 20' and I didn't even get my face wet!!

I do hope Azamara is reading some of these threads and will put a ship in the Australian waters and South Pacific.  Which one did you sail on to those ports?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

... given changes in engine technology are these ships “clean”? Hurtigruten can convert theirs to cleaner fuels, will Azamara?

I'm not an expert on this, but I recall reading that the new international rules could be met by older ships in two ways:  adding scrubber technology for burning 'bunker fuel' or just buying cleaner fuel to start with.  Big cargo ships were going the scrubber route, but then the refineries started to produce more clean diesel so that option actually turned out cheaper.  At this point, if I understand it correctly, the switch to LNG on new builds is just future-proofing.

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I'm not an expert on this, but I recall reading that the new international rules could be met by older ships in two ways:  adding scrubber technology for burning 'bunker fuel' or just buying cleaner fuel to start with.  Big cargo ships were going the scrubber route, but then the refineries started to produce more clean diesel so that option actually turned out cheaper.  At this point, if I understand it correctly, the switch to LNG on new builds is just future-proofing.

Hurtigruten may well face stricter rules in the future, particularly while sailing its routes in Norwegian waters. Recently that cruise line announced it was planning on powering at least 6 ships with a Biogas (LBG) system using the byproducts of fish processing etc.

When we sailed in those waters on Azamara, a crew member told me that, because of regulations set by Norway, the fuel they were using was “pure gold”.

Are you suggesting a new build - which would take several years - or purchasing a newer but nevertheless second hand ship ?  Is such a thing available ?

The closest ambience to Azamara I found was on Viking Ocean and they have treated their refund clients well I believe.  Their ships are beautiful and uncrowded.  I have both Viking Ocean and Azamara cruises booked.   Have you tried Viking?  

7 hours ago, Tom47 said:

Azamara Team, can you tell me if it's possible to build bigger showers with doors during rebuild?  Thanks

Doubt it.  Small showers with curtains work just fine.  Never understood all the complaints.  Small showers with glass doors result in hurt elbows.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, CincyAL said:

Hope they consider restroom facility on deck 10 near "Living Room".  I always thought this was flaw on the very beautiful R ships.

Ocean Princess had these on deck 10 at entrances to The Living Room.  Maybe Pacific Princess does, too.

I'm really glad to see that this older R-ship has the full complement of CC suites on deck 8 [like the Oceania ships, but not the existing Azamara fleet].  That's one upgrade they missed with Pursuit that would help mute these complaints about the small bathrooms!

7 hours ago, ECCruise said:

Bigger?  Not likely.  With doors?  Yes.  Oceania has done it with their refurbished R class.  But it is really tight in there with doors.  After sailing O and then Az within a few weeks, I almost preferred the curtains.  And that is saying A LOT.

Good to know, if I ever cruise on Oceania.  Thanks

11 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I'm really glad to see that this older R-ship has the full complement of CC suites on deck 8 [like the Oceania ships, but not the existing Azamara fleet].  That's one upgrade they missed with Pursuit that would help mute these complaints about the small bathrooms!

That might change of course. When Azamara acquired P & O Adonia to create Pursuit, deck 8 had all standard veranda cabins and they converted some to Club Continent Suites to match the other two. 

Phil 

15 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

That might change of course. When Azamara acquired P & O Adonia to create Pursuit, deck 8 had all standard veranda cabins and they converted some to Club Continent Suites to match the other two. 

Phil 

For whatever reason R1-5 had only the larger mini-suites / Club Continent on deck 8, while R6-8 had standard balcony cabins. When Celebrity acquired R6&7 (Journey and Quest) they wanted to add the popular Sky suites but only added them to part of deck 8. So when Azamara acquired R8 (Pursuit) it was done to the same layout.

Personally I hope that PP is left in its current configuration, CC suites seem to be one of the most popular cabin grades these days often being one of the fist grades to sell out, possibly why they introduced the Veranda Plus grade. Only downside for Azamara is it does reduce the cabin count but the higher revenue from extra CC suites might cancel this out.

• Like 1

I’m happy a 4th ship is joining the fleet. Then again, Sycamore was never going to do nothing. At the risk of grossly over simplifying, private equity buys businesses with the sole purpose to sell at a profit. That means Azamara needs to grow EBITDA through more capacity, higher prices, less cost, monetising additional products/services, commercial referral partnerships or a combination of some or all of these things. It’ll be interesting to see what the next few years bring. Lastly, when things don’t go as planned, and Sycamore sees its chances of making a strong return disappear, they also won’t hesitate to pull out as evidenced today by the bankruptcy of Sycamore owned Belk.

Floris 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Riocca said:

For whatever reason R1-5 had only the larger mini-suites / Club Continent on deck 8, while R6-8 had standard balcony cabins. When Celebrity acquired R6&7 (Journey and Quest) they wanted to add the popular Sky suites but only added them to part of deck 8. So when Azamara acquired R8 (Pursuit) it was done to the same layout.

Personally I hope that PP is left in its current configuration, CC suites seem to be one of the most popular cabin grades these days often being one of the fist grades to sell out, possibly why they introduced the Veranda Plus grade. Only downside for Azamara is it does reduce the cabin count but the higher revenue from extra CC suites might cancel this out.

I couldn't remember the full history of them all. I knew that Celebrity did some things to deck 8  (as evidenced by the offset nature of the balcony struts in the CC cabins). It will be interesting to see what they do as adding more suites will put additional strain on the free dining for suites specialties and the spa pool area at the front. Time will tell. 

Phil 

17 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I couldn't remember the full history of them all. I knew that Celebrity did some things to deck 8  (as evidenced by the offset nature of the balcony struts in the CC cabins). It will be interesting to see what they do as adding more suites will put additional strain on the free dining for suites specialties and the spa pool area at the front. Time will tell. 

Phil 

Phil, yes that might be a problem although we know that there may be a lot of changes over time. Some we will like the others not, nothing remains the same just hope we will be able to get back cruising safely soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, florisdekort said:

I’m happy a 4th ship is joining the fleet. Then again, Sycamore was never going to do nothing. At the risk of grossly over simplifying, private equity buys businesses with the sole purpose to sell at a profit. That means Azamara needs to grow EBITDA through more capacity, higher prices, less cost, monetising additional products/services, commercial referral partnerships or a combination of some or all of these things. It’ll be interesting to see what the next few years bring. Lastly, when things don’t go as planned, and Sycamore sees its chances of making a strong return disappear, they also won’t hesitate to pull out as evidenced today by the bankruptcy of Sycamore owned Belk.

Floris 

They are not exactly pulling out of Belk providing additional funds in the hundred of millions range and maintaining their largest shareholder position in Belk during the restructuring.

BTW, this thread has been mentioned in Cruise Critic's latest article about Azamara:

More News for Azamara: Holland America Line Cruise Vet Steps Into Executive Role

"While Azamara loyalists, who love the line for its country-specific itineraries and intimate onboard atmosphere, were worried at first about the sale, the subsequent news that Sycamore had purchased the former Pacific Princess to grow the fleet from three ships to four was heartening.

"A long thread about the new ship on the Cruise Critic's Azamara message board was full of cheer and positivity.

"Exactly the kind of news we needed," Cruiser670 wrote. "That sure lifts the spirits today," echoed combine."

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Grahambythesea said:

I would still like to know what will happen about Captains Club points? Having only sailed 2 Azamara cruises but loads of Celebrity will my combined level transfer to the Azamara Circle membership (is that what they are now calling it?)

That's what Azamara has been saying.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...