Orlando Ashford Named Executive Chairman of Azamara

Fatfish

Here's Cruise Critic's article on this:

More News for Azamara: Holland America Line Cruise Vet Steps Into Executive Role

"Ashford's tenure at Holland America was notable for the numerous partnerships that he brought the line. He oversaw the brand's renewed focus on food and entertainment, updating the Culinary Council with new celebrity chefs and bringing more music onboard with the addition of venues such as the Rolling Stone Rock Room and Live at Lincoln Center."

16 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Not to rain on the parade but you do know under his leadership HAL went to hell right?

Dude, you cancelled all of your Azamara cruises.

That is your opinion, which you are entitled to.  Lots of other people totally disagree with you. One opinion won't rain on our parade, thank you very much.

• Like 1

Ok dude, thought you might like some insight from someone who had extensive experience with an Orlando run company.  Heaven forbid you read anything different then what you want to believe.  Thanks for allowing me to express my opinion....go check out the thread about this on the HAL board if you want some perspective.

Edited by KirkNC
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

Ok dude, thought you might like some insight from someone who had extensive experience with an Orlando run company.  Heaven forbid you read anything different then what you want to believe.  Thanks for allowing me to express my opinion....go check out the thread about this on the HAL board if you want some perspective.

I did read that thread where you also posted.  Sure there are people that didn't like his stewardship.  And complain about cutbacks under Ashford.  As there are lots that don't like LLP. And Fain.  And Donald. And some will say that those individuals "ruined XXX cruise line."  And made massive cutbacks to those lines (HAL sure isn't alone in that).  But millions kept sailing those lines during their tenure(s).  

I guess I bristled at your assumption that he will almost automatically ruin Azamara.  Time will tell.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ECCruise said:

Dude, you cancelled all of your Azamara cruises.

That is your opinion, which you are entitled to.  Lots of other people totally disagree with you. One opinion won't rain on our parade, thank you very much.

Have you noticed that some groups just seem to be happier than other similar groups?

Orlando Ashford was at Sycamore when they planned and executed this acquisition.  So he already made one good recommendation!  I also read the HAL threads with people kicking him out the door – but my impression of HAL has improved under his stewardship [smoking policy, new ships, new entertainment options].  HAL isn't even close compared to Azamara, but I would consider it now for a suitable itinerary which was not the case before.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Not to rain on the parade but you do know under his leadership HAL went to hell right?

There are differing opinions on that.  I sailed HAL prior to his employment with the line and disliked it enough that I did not try it again for several years.  I much preferred the product with the changes he brought such as Lincoln Center and some of the newer specialty restaurants.  Changes that seemed to be starting to impact demographics, attracting a younger audience.

Many of the things that people complain about with HAL, cuts, lowering of quality, are also endemic on other boards because it is the nature of the cruise industry today where the number of cabins are increasing dramatically each year and the cruise lines have to compete on price and cost efficiency.  The same thing driving the retirement of the small ships and the increasing average ship size.

HAL did a good job of competing considering that they were having to compete in an environment where they had the smallest average ship size of the main stream lines.

Edited by nocl
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ECCruise said:

I did read that thread where you also posted.  Sure there are people that didn't like his stewardship.  And complain about cutbacks under Ashford.  As there are lots that don't like LLP. And Fain.  And Donald. And some will say that those individuals "ruined XXX cruise line."  And made massive cutbacks to those lines (HAL sure isn't alone in that).  But millions kept sailing those lines during their tenure(s).  

I guess I bristled at your assumption that he will almost automatically ruin Azamara.  Time will tell.

Some of cutbacks were not so much cutbacks but changes and repurposing.  I guess some people get upset when their favorite place to grab a chair and sleep all day gets changed and the number of chairs reduced with part of the space getting converted to a coffee bar.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

Hope he doesn't mess with the dress code.

Nor Azamara's focus on listening to what their guests have to say. This was very much Larry Pimentel's way although latterly I felt this was reduced somewhat as the Royal Caribbean grip on the operation became stronger and autonomy to a great extent lost. An opportunity for the new regime because one of the reasons the brand attracted them was customer loyalty. 

Phil 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Nor Azamara's focus on listening to what their guests have to say. This was very much Larry Pimentel's way although latterly I felt this was reduced somewhat as the Royal Caribbean grip on the operation became stronger and autonomy to a great extent lost. An opportunity for the new regime because one of the reasons the brand attracted them was customer loyalty. 

Phil 

I’m hopeful Phil because it’s certainly a theme coming through in all Carol Cabezas interviews and she will have been given her themes in outline from the owners. She could easily have dropped Larry’s way at this point in time as part of the something new brigade. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, KirkNC said:

On our most recent HAL cruise three years ago, there was no doubt the cruise experience had declined somewhat across all the 4 cruises we sailed with them. I disagree with your strong sentiment though, it is nowhere near as bad as that!

The additional ship purchase from Princess is the key aspect, convincing me this is a positive and forward looking acquisition for Azamara. For anyone concerned re dress code, HAL used to be the 'American' equivalent of Cunard in many ways including formal dress. These days are long gone, and the dress experience has relaxed immensely to the extent there are NO formal nights. Actually, the dress culture is now very similar to what we found on Azamara.

Orlando sounds to me a forward looking, focused and strategic leader....hard nosed?....probably, that is required for any successful business, but I don't believe the Azamites have anything to fear. There will doubtless be changes, but that is the way with all cruiselines!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Phil 

And no funny hats at dinner, or baked Alaska parades while patrons stand and twirl napkins over their heads, or lounges reserved for suite guests only.  Please.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, marinaro44 said:

And no funny hats at dinner, or baked Alaska parades while patrons stand and twirl napkins over their heads, or lounges reserved for suite guests only.  Please.

Sadly they started the napkin antics at White Night, hope post covid thats stopped and never returns

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Riocca said:

Very interesting & positive article especially regarding possible future expansion and fleet upgrades.

• Like 2