Jump to content

No Cruising until July?


Recommended Posts

Port Canaveral, when doing its budget for the year, believes there will be no cruising until July.  I know PortMiami is anxious to restart but will probably have to wait at least 5 more months.  No news for test cruises yet.  Wonder if it will be past July....

 

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/worst-case-scenario-cruising-resumes-in-july.html 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If we look at how covid cases had dropped last summer for most of the US and the fact that more vaccines will be available the 2nd qtr of 2021 for most of the world, I think they have a very good chance of doing their restart with a couple ships doing short cruises as they originally planned.  

I predict US sailings to partially resume mid summer with more sailings added 3rd qtr of 2021.  

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

If we look at how covid cases had dropped last summer for most of the US and the fact that more vaccines will be available the 2nd qtr of 2021 for most of the world, I think they have a very good chance of doing their restart with a couple ships doing short cruises as they originally planned.  

I predict US sailings to partially resume mid summer with more sailings added 3rd qtr of 2021.  

 

I suspect the initial sailings, even if they are short itineraries with limited capacity, will result in a ship having an outbreak and not being allowed to return to port on time.  And that will be a serious blow to starting up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

I suspect the initial sailings, even if they are short itineraries with limited capacity, will result in a ship having an outbreak and not being allowed to return to port on time.  And that will be a serious blow to starting up.

I dont think so, if you look at MSC that has been sailing out of italy since end of july other than a month long pause during december/january, their protocols have prevented outbreaks.  Yes, they had a couple people with covid, unavoidable, but no outbreaks.  I think TUI and Costa cruises out of Europe had 0 outbreaks when they were sailing.  It can be done. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I dont think so, if you look at MSC that has been sailing out of italy since end of july other than a month long pause during december/january, their protocols have prevented outbreaks.  Yes, they had a couple people with covid, unavoidable, but no outbreaks.  I think TUI and Costa cruises out of Europe had 0 outbreaks when they were sailing.  It can be done. 

 

Perhaps. But what MSC is doing in Italy, and what happens on a cruise in and out of say Miami, are kind of night and day.  My point is this:  resumption of cruising won't be what bolsters my confidence to get back on board.  Having CERTAINTY that I will be able to debark on time and be free to travel back home will be the key determinant.  And they have to basically bat a thousand on that one.  ONE ship gets held at sea and it undermines the entire industry.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

If we look at how covid cases had dropped last summer for most of the US and the fact that more vaccines will be available the 2nd qtr of 2021 for most of the world, I think they have a very good chance of doing their restart with a couple ships doing short cruises as they originally planned.  

I predict US sailings to partially resume mid summer with more sailings added 3rd qtr of 2021.  

 

 

Let's keep our fingers crossed...🤞

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I don't think there will be any cruising before July and now even July is looking doubtful to me

I'm worried about my sept cruise. I'd love to see some ships moving in july, but every day that goes by I am more doubtful. When I booked my hotel nonrefundable I was sure sept would be a go. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'm worried about my sept cruise. I'd love to see some ships moving in july, but every day that goes by I am more doubtful. When I booked my hotel nonrefundable I was sure sept would be a go. 

 

I'm booked for September as well.  I'm cautiously optimistic for the Fall.  I'm in between PortMiami and Port Everglades (half an hour away for each) so for me, if the cruise is a no-go, it won't be a big deal.  Is your cruise from Galveston? or Cape Canaveral?  Hopefully, the test cruises will happen before July.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

 

I'm booked for September as well.  I'm cautiously optimistic for the Fall.  I'm in between PortMiami and Port Everglades (half an hour away for each) so for me, if the cruise is a no-go, it won't be a big deal.  Is your cruise from Galveston? or Cape Canaveral?  Hopefully, the test cruises will happen before July.  

 

Yes I have 1 carnival and 7 rcl not cancelled. Next up is carnival vista. I took it for the $750 obc, my chance to buy myself a nice new watch. We have 198 on a active roll call, many family groups, some with brand new cruisers. I really dont want to reschedule and want to spend my 750 obc.

 

My cruise I'm losing in april has the best priced balcony,  884 total for a hump balcony. Really mad to lose that deal. Prices are going up as I lose cruises. I'd be thrilled to hear rcl restarts in july for real.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Agreed. I'm booked December and I think it's about a 50-50

 

I'm booked on December 27, and I've been trying to be more optimistic than 50-50. Maybe 70-30. But I can't convince any of our usual travel buddies to join us on this booking. They all seem to have less than 50-50 odds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

 

Perhaps. But what MSC is doing in Italy, and what happens on a cruise in and out of say Miami, are kind of night and day.  My point is this:  resumption of cruising won't be what bolsters my confidence to get back on board.  Having CERTAINTY that I will be able to debark on time and be free to travel back home will be the key determinant.  And they have to basically bat a thousand on that one.  ONE ship gets held at sea and it undermines the entire industry.

Nothing will be guaranteed for anyone wanting to travel anywhere for quite sometime.  Too many moving pieces.   There are plenty of cruisers that are able to drive up to the ports in florida, nj, md and tx.    Everyone that wants to travel anywhere, not just cruising, has to be flexible as everyone runs the chance of getting covid on a daily basis while on land, at sea or in the air.    It is something we are all learning to live with.   

Yes, an outbreak on a ship would be a disaster, but there are protocols to prevent outbreaks as well as the vaccinations of all crew and passengers will make a huge difference.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, cruisin from florida said:

We're booked for a Greek Isles cruise out of Venice in late July. We haven't booked air, hotels, or anything else. I don't think that it's going to happen.

Rcl may be sailing in europe this summer along with other cruiselines, but not sure Europe will allow US travelers into their countries this summer.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

but not sure Europe will allow US travelers into their countries this summer. 

I think that this will be true for all countries including the US.  I can see cruising resuming but only for residents of the country of departure.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Prices are going up as I lose cruises.  

And don't think for one minute that the cruise lines aren't thinking, well there are so many FCCs out there that will have to be used and the expiration date keeps closing in closer and closer. Given that and the capacity control will only drive prices up higher.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

Amen.

 

There has been so much baseless, evidence-free magical thinking on CC ever since last February ... week after week of blindingly unrealistic posts proclaiming we'll all be cruising again in a couple of months.


Each time reality proved otherwise, these "optimists" just added a month to their "we're going back to normal soon,

gang!" nonsense. Wrong time after

time after time.

 

Add in all those posts rehashing Hannity coronavirus denial, "it's all a hoax" propaganda, "blame the CDC" rhetoric and "they can't make me wear mask"

tantrums," and you can sees these

boards as a microcosm of all that's gone wrong with America. And why America's

response to COVID has been among the

weakest on the globe ... and why America stands no chance for normal cruising anytime in the foreseeable future.

 

Want to get Oasis and the rest of the fleet back in the game as soon as possible? Mask up. And fire every contractor - and boycott every store - that doesn't scrupulously follow mask and distancing rules. 

 

These are the same people who keep taking FCCs and lifting and shifting into the unknown future.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I'd be curious of the breakdown between FCCs and refunds these canceled cruises have seen.

I would hope by now that there would be more refunds.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, erinsmom03 said:

 

I'm booked on December 27, and I've been trying to be more optimistic than 50-50. Maybe 70-30. But I can't convince any of our usual travel buddies to join us on this booking. They all seem to have less than 50-50 odds.

I also have a cruise booked for Dec.  I think the odds are better than 50-50 of some type of cruising out of the US because even though there are startup headaches there should be full vaccine rollout by then. I do not believe all foreign ports will be open so my confidence level in the specific itineraries is pretty low. If it is a cruise out of the US and you don't care about the itinerary then Dec. is probably a reasonable bet. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If proof of vaccination is required,(and I think it should be), it also depends on how long immunity lasts with the vaccine - which I believe is still unknown. If it’s more than a year then people getting the vaccine right now should be good for the fall, but what if it’s only 9 months and a booster is required?  That could open up a whole new set of problems and protocols.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cruisin from florida said:

We're booked for a Greek Isles cruise out of Venice in late July. We haven't booked air, hotels, or anything else. I don't think that it's going to happen.

We had a Med cruise booked on NCL for late September of this year, had hotels booked for the embarkation point in Barcelona and the debarkation point in Venice, BOGO air promo through NCL, and some private excursions booked as well. I cancelled all of it 2-3 weeks ago, as I feel the writing is on the wall that it's not gonna happen. For one thing, it was a 10-night itinerary. Also, it was NCL in Europe and I think only the European based cruise lines have the best chance of sailing in Europe at that time, and only with people from the country where the sailings originate. I could be completely wrong and it could end up sailing. But I was not willing to make final payment of over $5k in order to find out. 

Edited by NCMtnBoys
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...