No Cruising until July?

23 hours ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Perhaps. But what MSC is doing in Italy, and what happens on a cruise in and out of say Miami, are kind of night and day.  My point is this:  resumption of cruising won't be what bolsters my confidence to get back on board.  Having CERTAINTY that I will be able to debark on time and be free to travel back home will be the key determinant.  And they have to basically bat a thousand on that one.  ONE ship gets held at sea and it undermines the entire industry.

I totally agree.  A passenger being tested positive (even a false-positive) can not cause a cruise to be delayed returning to the port on the scheduled day. Early would be OK but late ....NEVER ... this would destroy the industry. Only a hurricane would be a sufficient reason for a delay.

8 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The one big problem I saw with that calculator is that it only takes into account the 2 approved vaccines. 

Very true.  It's based on current state.  They've already adjusted the dates twice, so it seems like it's dynamic.  Thus, it can change again once other vaccines come into the picture (and adjust the better way this time).

14 hours ago, LuCruise said:

Sure.  Doesn't quite match what our leaders are saying, but this seems more realistic

It' can be searched under "Omni Calculator"

https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/vaccine-queue-ca

Thanks for posting LaCruise.

This is interesting, there are 30M people in Canada and there are 23M ahead of me. 

On the news last night they stated Canada will be 6 months behind the other big Countries.  I’m guessing this calculator is not including us not getting as much vaccine as they anticipated.

I’m just going to drink lots of wine for the next year and a half 😀

We won’t be invited guests to any Country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Very true.  It's based on current state.  They've already adjusted the dates twice, so it seems like it's dynamic.  Thus, it can change again once other vaccines come into the picture (and adjust the better way this time).

Should move it quite a bit with 10 million of the J&J and 20 million of the Astrozenica ordered.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It’s also not including an6 if the vaccines that have not yet been approved.

Cynical Andrew thinks they are yet to be approved because there are no shipments scheduled for delivery anytime soon. The optics have having the other two approved, but none shipped would not be good for the Federal Government.  

I think that possible March snap election might be pushed back until vaccines start to roll in. 😉

7 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I think that possible March snap election might be pushed back until vaccines start to roll in. 😉

I hope that is the case however you can never tell what the politicians will do.  

Astrozenica should be approved in the next 2 weeks. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

7 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I hope that is the case however you can never tell what the politicians will do.  

Astrozenica should be approved in the next 2 weeks. 

Johnson and Johnson will be the next to be authorized. AstraZeneca still has a while yet (despite it being authorized in the UK)

15 hours ago, LuCruise said:

Sure.  Doesn't quite match what our leaders are saying, but this seems more realistic

It' can be searched under "Omni Calculator"

https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/vaccine-queue-ca

That's the site I use too, only the UK version. 

I'm 65 in two weeks, hoping I will be included in the over 65 group (5th group), but think that group may be pushed back as there is a lot of pressure to vaccinate teachers, police and essential workers after the top 4 vulnerable groups 

I certainly think anyone dealing with general public, especially in potentially stressful situations like the police, should be a priority

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 1

One thing not being mentioned- presumably rapid test availability and accuracy should be continuing to improve as well, especially in several more months.... one way to start sailing earlier would be embarkation day tests for everyone getting on board.  

You could potentially exclude those with proof of vaccination since by July that number could be substantial, or err on the side of caution and test everyone.

However, I'm not sure about the crew.  I would think they'd absolutely have to vaccinated and this might not be a possibility in their country- but perhaps the cruise lines could help facilitate this.

9 minutes ago, irun5k said:

One thing not being mentioned- presumably rapid test availability and accuracy should be continuing to improve as well, especially in several more months.... one way to start sailing earlier would be embarkation day tests for everyone getting on board.  

You could potentially exclude those with proof of vaccination since by July that number could be substantial, or err on the side of caution and test everyone.

However, I'm not sure about the crew.  I would think they'd absolutely have to vaccinated and this might not be a possibility in their country- but perhaps the cruise lines could help facilitate this.

All those crew members of all cruise companies will have to be vaccinated. The companies might not say it straight to their face but they wont hire them for another cruise if they are not vaccinated. I even think that for some cases the companies will be ready to pay for those who will be vaccinated for money 

Let's just hope things start to move.  There is nothing I can do but wait until my number is called for the first vaccine.  I am not going to worry about what I have no control over.  Yes I have a cruise booked for October; if it goes then great,  if it gets cancelled; then I will look to book something else next year.  It's all good and in the end it will all work out.  Have faith.  Cheers

1 minute ago, AF-1 said:

smokeybandit;  that is a good move.  For me I would have to book another cruise.  I am sailing both Princess and Royal Caribbean this and next year.

Problem is the only available week we'd have between then and next March as a family would be Thanksgiving.  I've scouted a few cruises during that week, but I don't want to get stuck in a loop of rebooking every 2 months. Since they're extending double points through next summer, we'd probably just book another one next summer instead of risking one this year.

49 minutes ago, irun5k said:

one way to start sailing earlier would be embarkation day tests for everyone getting on board.  

RCI, via its Healthy Panel, and CLIA both said testing of all passengers will happen upon return to sailings - it's just a matter of when and what kind.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

And the CDC in their impossible return to sailing order.

If the CDC is to blame, why isn't the rest of the world sailing? Could it possibly be that the ivory towers in Miami have some culpability in this? What exactly have they done to get the ships sailing again, except waste money on a Blue Ribbon Panel? It's been going on 11 months since this started and I don't recall one update on what they've accomplished so far except "We are working on it". 

• Like 1