Cost vs. Benefit of OLife Add-on

Psoque

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

IThat's another annoying policy of Oceania [along with charging credit cards through an offshore bank so that many US customers get hit with foreign transaction fees that don't even enrich Oceania – do they still do that?]

I believe it was the CC companies that charged the FTF   not Oceania

We did not  have that problem with our Canadian CC

This has been an educational thread for me - I appreciate all the Suggestions and information. 
we are looking at Oceania for a first cruise. We had been enjoying Viking - and still would, however their prepayment policy, and lack of itinerary calling to me has me researching this board. 
We are not ship excursion people for the most part. We tend to DIY or private either the two of us or organizing a small group on roll calls. So Vikings ‘free excursion’ in every port (mostly a bus ride or walking tour) holds little value to us. 
But I wanted to crunch numbers for the Oceania package and this thread helped me to do that. On a 17 day itinerary the basic drink package would cost $1,360. If  we were to take the offered 10 excursions then each excursion would need to be $130/ea for a break even to drink package - if I am interpreting this correctly. 
So for us, the drink package makes more sense. For others the excursions make more sense. And for those who just love to hang on the ship, OBC may be best for them. 
We like to use miles for airfare and go in-early - stay over after - so it was helpful to read about how that all works. 
I have been trying to decide on fare only vs O Life so this helped a lot. Thank you. 

34 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

But I wanted to crunch numbers for the Oceania package and this thread helped me to do that. On a 17 day itinerary the basic drink package would cost $1,360. If  we were to take the offered 10 excursions then each excursion would need to be $130/ea for a break even to drink package - if I am interpreting this correctly. 
So for us, the drink package makes more sense.

Keep in mind the drink package offered as the O life perk is for wine by the glass /beer  ONLY  at lunch & Dinner

You can upgrade to the Prestige Package for $20 PP PD

Depending on how much you drink & how many sea days  you may want to just pay as you drink   & not take the OLife perk

We do not do ships tours  nor drink much so we usually do the cruise only fare

10 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

And for those who just love to hang on the ship, OBC may be best for them. 

Actually other than in a few rare instances(certain Solo cruisers) OBC is always a break even proposition. You pay in advance with real money for Non refundable ship board credit. For the life of me I can't see why anyone would choose this option. The amount that you pay for the Olife is the same amount for the OBC. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ORV said:

Actually other than in a few rare instances(certain Solo cruisers) OBC is always a break even proposition. You pay in advance with real money for Non refundable ship board credit. For the life of me I can't see why anyone would choose this option. The amount that you pay for the Olife is the same amount for the OBC. 

When we did the TA   it worked out   that the OBC  was good in that instance  because we took O air  & added the PE seats

But you have to do the math to see what works best

33 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

When we did the TA   it worked out   that the OBC  was good in that instance  because we took O air  & added the PE seats

But you have to do the math to see what works best

But did you come out any further ahead than if you had not taken Olife and just paid the PE out of pocket? Wasn't it still a wash? 

1 hour ago, ORV said:

But did you come out any further ahead than if you had not taken Olife and just paid the PE out of pocket? Wasn't it still a wash? 

Yes  ... well  ahead

The one way from SOU to YYZ  was much more than Oceania air  plus still had to get to NYC on the front end 🙂

That is why I always say  do the math & do what works best for YOU

We did not need to pay the deviation fee so that was a bonus  for us

On 1/30/2021 at 7:00 PM, 1985rz1 said:

Internet (one account per stateroom) comes with the cruise-only fare.  It is not an O-Life perk.

So if we choose cruise only, we would still have access to free internet on some level?  (Keep in touch elderly parents / family via email) ??

19 minutes ago, riandei said:

So if we choose cruise only, we would still have access to free internet on some level?  (Keep in touch elderly parents / family via email) ??

Yes

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, riandei said:

As ORV said, yes.  Once account per stateroom. 

On 6/7/2021 at 8:43 PM, LHT28 said:

Keep in mind the drink package offered as the O life perk is for wine by the glass /beer  ONLY  at lunch & Dinner

You can upgrade to the Prestige Package for $20 PP PD

Depending on how much you drink & how many sea days  you may want to just pay as you drink   & not take the OLife perk

We do not do ships tours  nor drink much so we usually do the cruise only fare

Thank you for the clarification. The O Life drink package sounds the same as ‘included’ on other lines. Depending on itinerary that extra $20/day can make sense for us. We do not do ship tours either. We will be watching to see how that requirement goes before we final pay. If we have no choice in ports except chip excursions, we will not sail. 

9 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you for the clarification. The O Life drink package sounds the same as ‘included’ on other lines. Depending on itinerary that extra $20/day can make sense for us. We do not do ship tours either. We will be watching to see how that requirement goes before we final pay. If we have no choice in ports except chip excursions, we will not sail. 

Actually, the OLife Beverage Package is less than any included package I’ve had on another line. The fact that it’s not all day/evening is unusual and also that it is only beer and wine.  We did take that package for OLife, but after our 10 day Mediterranean portion I may pay the $20 for the upgrade.  
Also, in our case, if we took OLife we got $335 more refundable OBC from our TA than if we took Cruise Only.  It seemed like a huge amount different  to me, but that’s what it was.  We went back to OLife and that was the tipping point. 

10 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Not an experienced Oceania cruiser.  (Once and I have a cruise scheduled in January) The included drinks with the O Life drink package is weak and much less than any basic package that we have had on other cruise lines.  The $20 to upgrade to a “real” drink package is reasonable IMO.  Oceania’s very liberal policy concerning bringing on wine and liquor complicates the cost benefit analysis.  I am still going to spend the $20 a day per person to have the ability to have most drinks at any time.  IMO Oceania offers this base drink package for competitive reasons, because almost all cruise lines have that kind of option.  Rather weak attempt.  

Since you are adamant about not taking ship excursions, the decision of what option to pick if you do the O Life should be easy.  Get the drink package or do not purchase the cruise with O Life.

37 minutes ago, jeno said:

Actually, the OLife Beverage Package is less than any included package I’ve had on another line. The fact that it’s not all day/evening is unusual and also that it is only beer and wine.  We did take that package for OLife, but after our 10 day Mediterranean portion I may pay the $20 for the upgrade.  
Also, in our case, if we took OLife we got $335 more refundable OBC from our TA than if we took Cruise Only.  It seemed like a huge amount different  to me, but that’s what it was.  We went back to OLife and that was the tipping point. 

In my experience, the refundable OBC from my TA is based on a percentage of the cruise cost.  What is the different between the cruise with and without the O Life?  Are you sure the extra $335 OBC from your TA with O Life is refundable?  It sounds like some of it might be the non refundable type from Oceania.  

Like I said, I will also pay the $20 to upgrade.

16 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Not an experienced Oceania cruiser.  (Once and I have a cruise scheduled in January) The included drinks with the O Life drink package is weak and much less than any basic package that we have had on other cruise lines.  The $20 to upgrade to a “real” drink package is reasonable IMO.  Oceania’s very liberal policy concerning bringing on wine and liquor complicates the cost benefit analysis.  I am still going to spend the $20 a day per person to have the ability to have most drinks at any time.  IMO Oceania offers this base drink package for competitive reasons, because almost all cruise lines have that kind of option.  Rather weak attempt.  

Since you are adamant about not taking ship excursions, the decision of what option to pick if you do the O Life should be easy.  Get the drink package or do not purchase the cruise with O Life.

In my experience, the refundable OBC from my TA is based on a percentage of the cruise cost.  What is the different between the cruise with and without the O Life?  Are you sure the extra $335 OBC from your TA with O Life is refundable?  It sounds like some of it might be the non refundable type from Oceania.  

Yes, the OBC with or without OLife is refundable. We do have extra OBc from Oceania that is nonrefundable. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, jagoffee said:

In my experience, the refundable OBC from my TA is based on a percentage of the cruise cost.  

We absolutely would choose the drink package if we opt for O Life over any excursions and pay the $20/day upgrade. I think what I was trying to say was that until we can visit ports with our option on how we do so, then we will hold off on doing any cruises. This is not a statement that suggests currently it isn’t wise, but rather that we will choose to hold off on a cruise until we can DIY. 
We really do however look forward to sailing on Oceania for the first time. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks all, I’ve found this thread to be very helpful with regards to shore excursions and OLife. We’ve got our first Oceania cruise in April 2022 on the Regatta. 

For now, we’ve selected the beverage package with OLife and we’ll upgrade to the premium package. We’ll book our own air, very likely with points/miles. 

The discounted shore excursion package is a good concept and with some higher priced excursions that look interesting, we’ll probably do that. 

One question that I may have missed the answer on…can I upgrade the beverage package before boarding? If so, is there any advantage to waiting till we board? 

Thanks!

2 hours ago, CruiserFromMaine said:

One question that I may have missed the answer on…can I upgrade the beverage package before boarding? If so, is there any advantage to waiting till we board? 

Thanks!

In the past  you had to wait   until boarding to upgrade  from the O Life  Beverage package to the Prestige  package

If you wanted just to purchase the Prestige   you can book it ahead of time

My wife and I just booked the Riviera for a 10 day in January 2022. The difference between O Life and not was $500 and change. When I did the math on shore excursions, beverage package OBC and credit back from our TA it we are ahead of the game by taking the O Life. 

19 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

My wife and I just booked the Riviera for a 10 day in January 2022. The difference between O Life and not was $500 and change. When I did the math on shore excursions, beverage package OBC and credit back from our TA it we are ahead of the game by taking the O Life. 

Depends which OLife Perk you choose (you only get 1)

The Excursions are the best choice  if you do ships tours

If you drink at meals  the beverage package  might work out  for a non port intensive cruise 

The OBC you are probably paying that  yourself  ..in some  cases it works out  as a true perk otherwise you are paying with your money for a non refundable  credit

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Depends which OLife Perk you choose (you only get 1)

The Excursions are the best choice  if you do ships tours

If you drink at meals  the beverage package  might work out  for a non port intensive cruise 

The OBC you are probably paying that  yourself  ..in some  cases it works out  as a true perk otherwise you are paying with your money for a non refundable  credit

Hmmmm, maybe our TA screwed up. I just sent him an email asking about the O Life deal. The way its written up we are getting all of it......

With O Life Perks... No Air. This is what is included

3 SHORE EXCURSIONS PP 
$300 ON BOARD CREDIT PP
HOUSE SELECT BEVERAGE PACKAGE 
House Select package, which 
includes unlimited wine and beer with lunch and dinner. 

ALSO, FREE INTERNET ACCESS FOR 1 DEVICE

1 minute ago, Laszlo said:

Hmmmm, maybe our TA screwed up. I just sent him an email asking about the O Life deal. The way its written up we are getting all of it......

With O Life Perks... No Air. This is what is included

3 SHORE EXCURSIONS PP 
$300 ON BOARD CREDIT PP
HOUSE SELECT BEVERAGE PACKAGE 
House Select package, which 
includes unlimited wine and beer with lunch and dinner. 

ALSO, FREE INTERNET ACCESS FOR 1 DEVICE

Sometime  O offers a special deal where you get all 3 perks

I would check the fine print  for your sailing

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Sometime  O offers a special deal where you get all 3 perks

I would check the fine print  for your sailing

Per Oceania's web site we get One. I need to talk to our TA, that's not the way it was written up in the quote

Just now, Laszlo said:

Per Oceania's web site we get One. I need to talk to our TA, that's not the way it was written up in the quote

I guess your TA is confused

Ask them to through in the other perks LOL

With OLife Choice*, our limited-time inclusive package, enjoy Roundtrip Airfare* and Free Internet plus choose one:

FREE - 6 Shore Excursions
FREE - Beverage Package
FREE - $600 Shipboard Credit
Amenities are per stateroom