Word on the street....May is not sailing.

Pcardad

Yesterday, I received my “daily Regent ad” which featured European cruises starting in June, 2021. To me, it was like an ad for the 2020-2021 Corvette. Visit your GM dealer, and you will find that there aren’t any of these cars to be had. And with the recent European outbreak of a new strain of Covid 19, there won’t be any European cruises this summer either. So companies are advertising things that can’t be delivered? What a waste of advertising dollars.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Marc

How do you plan to cruise again someday if there are no Regent ships left?

We have chartered this little guy for a cruise in the Pacific North West out of Bellingham, WA.

image.png.0d5941fadf1edf9a66ce1c256477875b.png

Edited by captjohn
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

This is a great idea! I will explore this for us....

We will be part of a flotilla going to Princess Louisa Inlet, 11 days. Also going on an 14 day Desolation Sound cruise in Oct. that is if the Canada/US border opens.  Caution you need to be able to pilot your boat your self. That said with the flotilla you would have support from the lead boat. Link below.

http://www.nwexplorations.com/flotillas/

3 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

🤞for December... we are sailing on Splendor with our children!

sheila

WE hope to go Dec. 7th I think.  Maybe.  The way things are going I am not sure. 

21 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

How many speciality restaurants? 🤣

Unlimited when we go ashore !😀 No entertainment except for DW on the brass pole !😀

Shore excursions are all on your own but free. Free laundry if you do it yourself. Free WIFI if you can get close to a marina. No air, no butler, why are we doing this ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Those who follow the news about the pandemic here and in other parts of the world do not expect Regent to cruise before early fall, 2021, when vaccinations in the US are now expected to be available to all. As far as the foreign ports, I have no idea. But those have to allow us to disembark for a cruise to go there. So early fall, 2021 is the quickest many of us expect cruises to resume. It could be later.  And if it is much later, we don’t know if NCLH has the cash to go that long. I hope they do. But as to the Regent ad we got in the mail yesterday with European cruises as early as June 2021 — that is just a joke — or misleading advertising. Surely Regent execs know that there will be no cruises in Europe for US people that soon. 

We wish Regent the best in emerging from this mess. We hope to cruise it again — someday. But in any event, we are glad that we took the many Regent cruises we had in the distant and recent past. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RJB said:

WE hope to go Dec. 7th I think.  Maybe.  The way things are going I am not sure. 

I’m hoping the Caribbean sailings out of Miami (Splendor and Mariner) in December are a go; even if they can’t sail from Miami it seems like these could be revised to depart and return to Barbados, St. Maarten, or similar non—US ports.  Fingers crossed.  

I was pretty hopeful for our 2021 Vancouver to Tokyo cruise in September until recently. With the issue we are having getting vaccines in Canada i am not sure that Canadian ports will be open even then.  I hope that changes but my hope is dwindling. We have no idea when we might get a vaccine and we are in the over 65 age group. Who knows when the rest of the public will get them and i don't see Canadian ports opening until All Canadians have had the opportunity to get the vaccine. 

31 minutes ago, 1982CruzStart said:

Who knows when the rest of the public will get them and i don't see Canadian ports opening until All Canadians have had the opportunity to get the vaccine. 

What does your Canadian Crystal Ball say about trips to Churchill at the end of October?

mrlevin, I can't give you a definitive answer, but there is a daily update on COVID in Manitoba:  CBC News, CTV News, and Global all provide Manitoba updates.    Our borders are closed to other provinces unless people self-isolate for 14 days.  The South of the province has different regulations than the North. Flights in and out of Winnipeg are minimal, and that includes Perimeter Aviation, as well as a couple of the small airlines that fly to some Northern communities.  It's impossible to take the train at this point in time.  Essential goods are having to be flown into communities as travel by winter road is not being permitted.  Given the problems with getting a vaccine, issues with community spread, etc., I think it is unlikely that Churchill will have a tourist season in October.  I also think it is unlikely that our cruise out of Vancouver in September will happen, and our October cruise will not happen either.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 1982CruzStart said:

I was pretty hopeful for our 2021 Vancouver to Tokyo cruise in September until recently. With the issue we are having getting vaccines in Canada i am not sure that Canadian ports will be open even then.  I hope that changes but my hope is dwindling. We have no idea when we might get a vaccine and we are in the over 65 age group. Who knows when the rest of the public will get them and i don't see Canadian ports opening until All Canadians have had the opportunity to get the vaccine. 

We're also scheduled for that cruise and, sadly, I agree with you.  It's hard to see that, by September, we'll be able to take a 4-country (Canada, US, Russia, Japan) cruise in a manner that makes going worthwhile.  That means full use of ship facilities, not having to use a mask at all times on the ship and on flights from NJ to Vancouver and Tokyo to NJ, and being able to have free time in ports, where we can sample local food, do some sightseeing and/or shopping on our own, and talk to the "locals".  I fear that this is unlikely to happen.  But keep up the faith:  hopefully time will prove me wrong  Joe

Edited by Joanandjoe

On 2/1/2021 at 8:32 AM, alidor said:

I guess what bothers a lot of people is that they are just getting older and the time for them to travel is dwindling.  That time for them to travel is slowly going away.  So many people plan to travel when they retire, when they get older and most of Regent’s passengers fall into these categories.  Trips they had planned are going away and who knows when they will restart!!!??  I find myself in this category and somewhat frustrated.  I know this pandemic has to settle down and let science take its course.  But part of me just wants to see the world before we get too old to travel...

My advice is do not wish your life away.  We feel we've had so many great adventures travelling in the last 20 years that we're content, and spend most of our time feeling grateful, and enjoying the life we have now, not wishing for some future that we may not have.

13 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

We have friends in Canada, talking to them on the phone they say they can't go from one area to another right now.  

Well, that's a bit of a generalization.  The eastern part of the country, the Maritimes and to some extent Newfoundland, have been maintaining their own bubbles and yes, travel is restricted into them, and between them.  Travel between other provinces has not been  particularly curtailed, nor has travel within provinces. At least in Ontario travel is discouraged, i.e., we're under a "stay at home" order, so theoretically police could stop you if you were driving somewhere, and you'd have to have an explanation for your trip, but in practice that's unlikely, and there are lots of "essential" activities that are exceptions.  We'll see what happens come spring, when people will want to get out into the "great outdoors"--hopefully our restrictions will have lightened by then.