Logistics of Covid test before flying home to USA?

nini

15 minute test kit for $30. If the company is smart, they will figure out a way to mass process the results - connect multiple "digital" analyzers to a computer and associate the results with the proper passenger.

Swipe your nose, swipe your medallion, and you are done. Results sent to your account in 15 minutes. 

1 minute per passenger. you would need 17 man hours to process 1,000 passengers. 3 stations can process 1,000 passengers in one day.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/12/15/946692950/fda-authorizes-first-home-coronavirus-test-that-doesnt-require-a-prescription

There are all kinds of rapid tests. None that I am aware of meet the standards of PCR tests as to reliability.  The ships can only use those tests approved by the CDC that meet their standards for entry back into the country. Each country has their own requirements. In Canada, only a PCR test will do.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mom says said:

There are all kinds of rapid tests. None that I am aware of meet the standards of PCR tests as to reliability.  The ships can only use those tests approved by the CDC that meet their standards for entry back into the country. Each country has their own requirements. In Canada, only a PCR test will do.

We were talking to someone who had just returned from Hawaii. Four men in line with them when the airplane arrived had gotten their tests from some company that was NOT on the approved list Hawaii had published They were shipped back home on the next flight.

On 2/1/2021 at 12:21 PM, Toofarfromthesea said:

It isn't just the logistics.  In a kinder gentler world I would now be in Cancun, enjoying a week at an all-inclusive.  Once the test requirement was issued the all-inclusive stepped up and is providing free tests at the hotel and full free accomodations, sans alcohol, for anyone testing positive for the quarantine.  I still canceled because:

a) while I'm retired, some members of our party work and could not afford to get stuck in Mexico for a 14 day quarantine,

b) what if someone tests positive and gets seriously ill - even with a good international travel health insurance policy, you'd still be in a foreign country where you would not know any of your Drs., and nothing about the standard of care - Mexico has an 8.5% covid death rate, 5x the US rate.

So they have managed to make foreign travel far more bureaucratically risky than health risky.  

This restriction served 2 purposes, IMO.  One was to shut down new international travel.  The other was to provide a way for Americans already stuck in countries that have a travel ban a path to be able to get home.

Good points. I do appreciate that resorts are stepping up to assist travelers because I know for me that idea of testing positive and getting quarantined was a huge roadblock. But, I agree that it still is, at least for me. I am still working in person and 2 extra weeks off work would be a big hurdle for me.

If I'm at home minding my own business and get sick or exposed to covid my work will give me free time off. But somehow I don't think that will fly if I'm vacationing in Mexico for my quarantine....

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, mom says said:

Yes, it was interesting that in the notice from the all-inclusive I had booked for this week (and canceled) they said that they would be offering the tests at the hotel, and they specified quick tests for Americans and PCRs for Canadians - because that was what the respective countries were requiring.

On 1/31/2021 at 4:22 PM, Thrak said:

I have to wonder how the testing requirement "might" be affected for those who have had two doses of vaccine.

The reports are that the vaccines prevent you from getting ill, not from contracting and spreading the virus. Having been vaccinated is not going to impact the need to be tested.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2021 at 3:22 PM, Thrak said:

I have to wonder how the testing requirement "might" be affected for those who have had two doses of vaccine.

I can tell you how it currently effects testing requirements.  Both Canada and the USA still require testing (within 3 days of a flight) for International flights returning to their respective countries.  There are no exemptions for those who have been vaccinated.

Hank

My friends at a well known luxury line just received their new PCR testing machine onboard (40,000 Euros). Their doctor has been testing it on them all week.

The test is done in less than 5 minutes; results in 40 minutes.

This week the Doctor will be certified so that his test results will be accepted by other carriers and governments.

The ship will test all crew every week until further notice.

Guests with possible symptoms will be tested.

Guests requiring tests before flights will be accommodated.

I'm flying to an AI in Cancun in April.

The resort is providing a PCR test at no additional charge 48 hrs prior to return flight back to the States. Should 1 of us become +, we can stay an additional 14 days at no additional cost.

I'm very comfortable with this because in my experience in Mexico (Cabo in Nov) the people of Mexico are much more rigid in the wearing mask, social distancing, washing hands, and monitoring temps than anywhere I've been to here in the States. Couldn't even enter Costco or Walmart without being tested and assured of hand washing/hand disinfectant. Then, they would spray down a grocery cart and hand it to you.

This is good to know. We are debating a Cancun AI this Summer if cruising doesn't start. We are sick of not being able to travel or vacation. The cost is similar and I am OK with having to be tested. Just need to get away. It will be 2 years since our last real vacation. Sitting at a resort pool and beach will be relaxing. I am sure there are a few local excursions around to go snorkeling on.