Le Harve cruise lines - can we embark there?

astro2001

My family is flying into London and then heading to Paris.  To finish our trip, we would love to catch a cruise from Le Harve to see more sites and relax on the ship.  We would be travelling this summer.  I cannot find a cruise that does this, but I'm sure I'm missing it.  

I'm also wondering if there are any European cruise lines that have family suites that fit more than 4 passengers?

Thank you so much!

If you are talking about the summer of 2022 or 2023 you might be able to find something.  But Le Havre is not used as an embarkation port.  Just looking at the summer of 2022 there is only one cruise (Oceania's Insignia) that embarks from Le Havre a  nd that is a repositioning cruise which ends in NYC.  Things may certainly change as the cruise industry starts to reopen and you might want to keep an eye on MSC who routinely does cruises where folks can embark/disembark at just about any port on their itinerary.  

If you are thinking of this coming summer 2021, it will likely be a real mess with many cruises cancelled or rerouted (as ports turn away cruise ships).  And whether we will even be able to fly to the UK or Europe is also a question.

Hank

I don't think that you need to pay too much attention to current Covid restrictions, they change frequently.

There are effectively no European cruises at the moment and if there are suitable cruises later this year, restrictions and conditions for flights, for immigration,, and for cruises, will be different - hopefully more relaxed.

Fingers-crossed the more onerous restrictions will  be history - perhaps later this year, but perhaps not for another year. 

If possible, give some though to re-structuring your vacation.................

Few cruises embark in Le Havre (note the spelling), but it's the last port-of-call on a lot of Southampton - Southampton cruises (Round-Britain, Fjords, Baltic, northern Europe, western Europe), and most cruise lines (the main exception is NCL) permit disembarkation there by prior arrangement.

So you could fly into London, spend time there or elsewhere in England, cruise out of Southampton, jump-ship in Le Havre on the last day, train to Paris for a post-cruise visit & fly home from there.

Multi-city (aka open-jaw) return flights are priced mid-way between return flights to London & Paris, and you reduce your travel costs and time.

That's been done very frequently by cruisers, I don't know whether virus restrictions will create problems. 

JB 🙂

Another alternative would be to take a river or barge cruise within France.  A number of them start in Paris.  They might conceivably be available before the ocean cruises, but most (optimistic) schedules I have seen start this Fall. 

If you are not interested in river cruises, consider JohnBull's recommendations. Most cruises out of London are for Northern Europe and the Baltics.  If you prefer a Mediterranean cruise after Paris, fly to Barcelona, Rome or Athens.  And to go between London and Paris consider the Eurostar train instead of flying.  You will be going city-center to city-center without most air travel complications.  

I do agree that any travel options are extremely unlikely this summer.  2022 is a much better bet.

We completely agree with JB's post (although it does pain me) :).  DW and I have often done exactly what he suggests which it to disembark a cruise in Le Havre (each cruise line has their own procedure to obtain this permission) usually a day or two before the official end of the cruise (often in England).  In fact one of our favorite trips involved taking a long transatlantic repositioning cruise from the USA to Europe and then disembarking in Le Havre to being a few weeks of independent travel on the continent.   Train connections from Le Havre to Paris are easy (and generally hourly) or one can rent a car in Le Havre and start by doing a nice driving trip in Normandy.

Hank