Compulsory offshore excursions due to Covid with P&O

angeliquer

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Not correct. We hired a holiday cottage in the autumn between lockdowns. No need to wear a mask around the cottage. No need to wear a mask walking around outside. We dined out every day where we liked and when we liked. We had to put a mask on for a matter of seconds as we walked in and out of each pub or restaurant and that was it. We were free to travel around and go where we wanted and whenever we wanted to. It was lovely. A cruise under the proposed restrictions would be anything but, as far as we are concerned.

I completely agree with this, which is why we have transferred our cruise to next year and booked holiday cottages in the UK for this summer (for anyone thinking about booking in the school holidays, we booked last weekend and there was limited availability already). We are happy to wait for our cruise however it's ridiculous that P&O continue to insist that any cruise under the current potential restrictions is not a significant change to the normal cruise experience. I think most people understand why the changes are necessary but it's a shame that P&O aren't willing to offer a refund of deposits as an option once they are in a position to declare what the rules for each specific sailing will be and what the excursion options are so that people can make their own  calculated decisions based on facts.  

• Like 3

The idea that a simple walking tour is less likely to bring covid onto the ship is just plain ridiculous.  If you are on a walking tour, you will come into contact with people who are not on a cruise, who have chosen to go on holiday on their own.  It's just ridiculous.

13 minutes ago, Adammara said:

We really hope it happens for you, we celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary on Arcadia's maiden cruise in 2005 a very memorable evening ceremony somewhere of the coast of Portugal.  All the more special as wife was diagnosed with cancer on our return.  Today we are celebrating our 56th anniverary at home, no nice meal out tonight sadly!

Oh that sounds beautiful! Glad you had such a lovely experience and I’m sorry you can’t celebrate again tonight, I’m sure you will make up for it next year! All the best and happy anniversary to you and your wife 🙂 

P.S I hope your wife is healthy and fully recovered, I appreciate it may not be something you want to respond too but just know that I am sending my best to her!  

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Not correct. We hired a holiday cottage in the autumn between lockdowns. No need to wear a mask around the cottage. No need to wear a mask walking around outside. We dined out every day where we liked and when we liked. We had to put a mask on for a matter of seconds as we walked in and out of each pub or restaurant and that was it. We were free to travel around and go where we wanted and whenever we wanted to. It was lovely. A cruise under the proposed restrictions would be anything but, as far as we are concerned.

I fully accept that for some people, yourself included, the desire to get back on a cruise ship is so strong that they will live with all the restrictions. I am pleased, as that gets cruise ships going again and means that they will still be there when we are willing to go on them again, when none of these restrictions are required. However for many, us included, it would be an ordeal rather than an enjoyable holiday and had we booked we would want to cancel and would expect our deposit back. Thankfully we are not in that situation but I have every sympathy for those who are. BTW, P&O are not ‘in the red’ so should, IMO, do the honourable thing. As always, they will do so for those who persevere, but it shouldn’t have to be a battle. 

Just out of interest did you get tested before your holiday to make sure you was not passing on the infection 

19 minutes ago, Adammara said:

We really hope it happens for you, we celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary on Arcadia's maiden cruise in 2005 a very memorable evening ceremony somewhere of the coast of Portugal.  All the more special as wife was diagnosed with cancer on our return.  Today we are celebrating our 56th anniverary at home, no nice meal out tonight sadly!

Happy Anniversary to the both of you, have a lovely evening.

7 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Just out of interest did you get tested before your holiday to make sure you was not passing on the infection 

What a daft question. As I said, we went between lockdowns and at a time when there were no travel restrictions. There was no requirement to take up valuable NHS resources for tests when we had no symptoms before during or after. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Adammara said:

Many congratulations to you both. We celebrated out 56th anniversary on 28th January the same way you have. It doesn't matter where you celebrate it, being together is what makes it special. We celebrated our 50th aboard Oceana, a beautiful evening made extra special by the wonderful waiters and maitre d'.

Avril

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

What a daft question. As I said, we went between lockdowns and at a time when there were no travel restrictions. There was no requirement to take up valuable NHS resources for tests when we had no symptoms before during or after. 

Not really daft but a serious question the virus did not go away between lockdowns  well it didn’t around here, but as long as you enjoyed your holiday that’s all that matters.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bazrat said:

Not really daft but a serious question the virus did not go away between lockdowns  well it didn’t around here, but as long as you enjoyed your holiday that’s all that matters.

We went last autumn, prior to the second lockdown and prior to the tier system. It was a UK holiday. At that time infection rates were thankfully very low. There were no travel restrictions and no requirements for anyone to be tested unless displaying symptoms. I maintain it was a daft question. 

10 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

We went last autumn, prior to the second lockdown and prior to the tier system. It was a UK holiday. At that time infection rates were thankfully very low. There were no travel restrictions and no requirements for anyone to be tested unless displaying symptoms. I maintain it was a daft question. 

We beg to differ on that point but like I said and my last time I will reply on this subject you enjoyed your holiday 

7 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

But the most important option in my opinion, give me my money back. We are in the middle of a crisis and most of us are willing to compromise, so why doesn't P&O? I cannot see how a company can justify keeping your money if you are not willing to accept something that doesn't appeal to you or you wouldn't have booked knowing the T&C's.

But surely they can only owe you the deposit which won't be much, unless you transferred an earlier fully paid FCC to it?

5 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

But surely they can only owe you the deposit which won't be much, unless you transferred an earlier fully paid FCC to it?

If so, it wouldn’t cost them the earth to refund the deposit should one decide to cancel. However, the deposit for 5 of us was quite steep for longer cruises during school hols, far too much to lose. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bazrat said:

We beg to differ on that point but like I said and my last time I will reply on this subject you enjoyed your holiday 

What point are you trying to make? The rules last summer were simple, get a test if you had symptoms or test and trace contacted you. Everyone else could continue as normal, as long as you followed the mask and social distancing rules.

• Like 14

3 hours ago, Bazrat said:

You are not allowed to have an NHS test unless you have at least one of the three main stated symptoms, even if you have the other symptoms mentioned.  The only exception is if there is a mass testing system in your area, because of the local situation or if you use the symptom study app and other symptoms mean they ask if you are willing to have a test for research purposes.  If people need a test to go abroad, they have to pay something near £100.   

Are you suggesting you pay for a test before you go to the shops or out for a meal, for instance, to make sure you will not pass on the virus?  Or perhaps you would think that was a stupid question.

Edited by tring
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

What point are you trying to make? The rules last summer were simple, get a test if you had symptoms or test and trace contacted you. Everyone else could continue as normal, as long as you followed the mask and social distancing rules.

The point was people could be carriers but not have the symptoms 

5 hours ago, tring said:

You are not allowed to have an NHS test unless you have at least one of the three main stated symptoms, even if you have the other symptoms mentioned.  The only exception is if there is a mass testing system in your area, because of the local situation or if you use the symptom study app and other symptoms mean they ask if you are willing to have a test for research purposes.  If people need a test to go abroad, they have to pay something near £100.   

Are you suggesting you pay for a test before you go to the shops or out for a meal, for instance, to make sure you will not pass on the virus?  Or perhaps you would think that was a stupid question.

Your talking about current rules my point was because of the easing of restrictions people went back to normal hence why we have the current lockdown.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I fully accept that for some people, yourself included, the desire to get back on a cruise ship is so strong that they will live with all the restrictions. I am pleased, as that gets cruise ships going again and means that they will still be there when we are willing to go on them again, when none of these restrictions are required. However for many, us included, it would be an ordeal rather than an enjoyable holiday and had we booked we would want to cancel and would expect our deposit back. Thankfully we are not in that situation but I have every sympathy for those who are. BTW, P&O are not ‘in the red’ so should, IMO, do the honourable thing. As always, they will do so for those who persevere, but it shouldn’t have to be a battle. 

We are supposed to be cruising July but will be cancelling before final payment due and moving it further into the future. Booked a cottage instead in IOW, glad I booked early as they sound popular now and have read they are well booked up for the summer already

Michelle

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Selbourne said:

We had 2 separate weeks away in Cornwall last August and 2 weekends away+numerous meals out. Every time we did , or when we pop into town , or go shopping we have a PCR test 3 days in advance. Can't be too careful, especially with the new variants. Woking has just been subject to surge testing. We were both negative .🤡🤔. I can pop out and get a takeaway tonight, safe in the knowledge that I won't infect folk. I'm clean. Oh hang on, that was Wednesday.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Adammara said:

Congratulations enjoy your anniversary.