Compulsory offshore excursions due to Covid with P&O

angeliquer

15 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes forgive me, I tend to think of ships that I sail on.  You are quite right, of course, some are child friendly and therefore would attract young families.  Brain not working due to Covid jab day before yesterday.  .Well that's my excuse.

Glad you had your jab!!!!! 

P&O feels like two different lines sometimes so easily forgotten, adults only and smaller ships vs larger family orientated ships ☺️

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes agree, but it does say on the BBC that they hope all adults will be vaccinated by the autumn.

But at the risk of being pedantic and repeating myself, we will never get to the stage where all adults are vaccinated. Offered a vaccine yes, but actually vaccinated no. Not unless we make it a legal requirement that is enforced, which will never happen. I venture to suggest that by the end of all this there could be as many as a couple of million adults who are unvaccinated and refuse to be so. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Avril, that is fair comment, but I rather took umbrage at the suggestion that I didn't love my family which is why I need other people.  Another ridiculous statement.

It's the written word again Jean, which is often misread. It can cause more problems as you must have recently noticed😉I've found myself in hot water a couple of times over it, and I re-read before I post to make sure it's ok. 

Avril

• Like 2

1 minute ago, joeecco said:

Quite the slogan there!  ‘Refuse? No cruise!’ 😂

Another slogan could be   " A bit of fraud gets you abroad "

The counterfeit guys will be working on it soon :classic_unsure:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

43 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I think anywhere you want to travel will be vaccinated people only.  As for P&O, the majority of their passengers are over 50, all of whom should be vaccinated by early summer.  As for those exempt or not wishing to be vaccinated, I think they are within their rights to refuse their custom, as they are the ones who could bring Covid on board.

What about children?

1 hour ago, joeecco said:

I disagree that P&Os passengers are majority over 50s. Some ships and itinerary’s have an older demographic yes but they have four huge family friendly ships that thrive in school holidays especially. Unless they vaccinate children it would be wrong to say only vaccinated guests. a childhood is mostly memories and those that are lucky enough to go on holiday will always remember them and cherish them. Telling family’s they can’t go on holiday but over 50s can is wrong on every possible level. 

You are correct about school holidays joeecco, but the rest of the year there are only ever a few passengers on the 3 big ships who are under 50, and since it is the intension to offer vaccines to all adults sometime this year, then I would expect quite a lot of parents would have been vaccinated by the summer school holidays.

As regards children, if the govt are not intending vaccinating under 16s then I would expect all travel companies and hospitality venues to accept them for travel or vacation stay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

But at the risk of being pedantic and repeating myself, we will never get to the stage where all adults are vaccinated. Offered a vaccine yes, but actually vaccinated no. Not unless we make it a legal requirement that is enforced, which will never happen. I venture to suggest that by the end of all this there could be as many as a couple of million adults who are unvaccinated and refuse to be so. 

I agree , but unless they are part of the very small  percentage with medical reasons, then that's their problem,  they can stay at home, if they won't get vaccinated to protect others. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Another slogan could be   " A bit of fraud gets you abroad "

The counterfeit guys will be working on it soon :classic_unsure:

They have already worked on it which is why I believe any vaccination documentation needs to be electronically verifiable from a government database.  Also, if the EU decide on vaccination documentation it means the UK will have to follow suit with a compatible system otherwise none of us will be visiting the EU or any other area that has a similar requirement. Be it by cruise, ferry, plane or train.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, joeecco said:

Quite the slogan there!  ‘Refuse? No cruise!’ 😂

From my personal experience with Covid19 if you catch covid19 you will wish you hadn't.

If people don't get the vaccine they risk a lot more than No Cruise.

Good slogan BTW.

Graham.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, davecttr said:

Is there such a crime as reckless endangerment of life? Draconian legal sanctions for anyone using a forged travel certificate may discourage most chancers but there is always one idiot.

I don't know what the plans are to prove you have been vaccinated but maybe they should have introduced stamping your passport at vaccination time.

1 hour ago, bee-ess said:

I don't know what the plans are to prove you have been vaccinated but maybe they should have introduced stamping your passport at vaccination time.

They wouldn’t have done this because if it becomes a yearly jab then you get a new passport after having it done etc it would be all over the place. It needs to be electronic now. 

• Like 1

Hope all are well...speaking of slogans, I'm pleased that the "Jab and Go" adverts have been taken off air by the advertising standards authority. 

Refuse no cruise has a certain ring to it, very good!

Not as good but worth sharing...

"Do you have an aversion to an expensive P&O excursion ... well book now and eventually pay more!"

This would also be accurate (ish) but less popular marketing tool/device.

My qualm with the current approach is that unless it changes, the actual costs of excursions on the my forthcoming cruise have (and will) go up in price, not down, and the choice is restricted, the latter point I can understand.  This is based on actually reviewing the current cruise personaliser.   

No 3 for 2, no buy now pay later, no use your FCC, no fixed price package, blah blah.  Anyway unfortunately I think it will be cancelled anyway so it's a moot point 😤

11 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

I agree , but unless they are part of the very small  percentage with medical reasons, then that's their problem,  they can stay at home, if they won't get vaccinated to protect others. 

I agree with you entirely, but unless I have missed something, P&O have not stated that all adults will have to prove that they have been vaccinated in order to board their ships, so those who just decide that they don’t want the vaccine could still cruise with them. I appreciate that it’s cosmetic at present, as I doubt that any P&O ships are cruising anywhere for a good few months yet, but Saga (who are in the same position) have insisted on this already. Of course, the fundamental flaw in their policy is that this doesn’t apply to crew. If there is a sudden outbreak amongst the crew then it’s cruise over, as the ship will be refused entry to places, even if none of the passengers is affected!

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

Hope all are well...speaking of slogans, I'm pleased that the "Jab and Go" adverts have been taken off air by the advertising standards authority. 

Refuse no cruise has a certain ring to it, very good!

Not as good but worth sharing...

"Do you have an aversion to an expensive P&O excursion ... well book now and eventually pay more!"

This would also be accurate (ish) but less popular marketing tool/device.

My qualm with the current approach is that unless it changes, the actual costs of excursions on the my forthcoming cruise have (and will) go up in price, not down, and the choice is restricted, the latter point I can understand.  This is based on actually reviewing the current cruise personaliser.   

No 3 for 2, no buy now pay later, no use your FCC, no fixed price package, blah blah.  Anyway unfortunately I think it will be cancelled anyway so it's a moot point 😤

I think I read somewhere that P and O will publish a list of excursions for each cruise either 8 or 12 weeks before sailing date (can't remember which) and they will offer more excursions at a reduced price.Not ideal but better than nothing in my view

19 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes only sure fire way is the ability for the travel company to access the Government database.  The Government will have to do something otherwise nobody will be able to travel.

What Government database? The vaccination record will go on your medical records which are confidential and not shareable to private companies. 

• Like 1