Saga not accepting passengers from the U S.?

oskidunker

I don't think UK will have vaccination certificates or e-passports for this summer. Hopefully initially this is where being over a certain age may be useful.  Circa 95% of over 70s UK residents have been vaccinated,  of the remaining 5%, a lot haven't for medical reasons and can't travel. It looks as if most over 50s will do same, it is in the under 50s that vaccination scepticism is supposedly higher, but when push comes to shove I'd  question this. Vaccine take up even in over 70s has been much higher than predicted. My prediction is  vaccination  take up in UK will be 90% or near enough for all ages. Especially given talk of vaccine passports,  and even no vaccination no job.

Why forge a certificate when you can get vaccinated. 

So hopefully countries that want our tourism, will know the high rated will just look at passport. Perhaps this year they will look also at age and then a cursory look at the vaccination card, every country can workout to within a week or so when British will have had second jab.

Anyone falsely claiming to have been vaccinated would be in trouble if becoming ill with Covid while abroad or on a cruise as their travel insurance would then be invalid and they could incur substantial costs. Why would you do that when (if you are from the UK) you can get the jab for free when it’s your turn?

On 2/14/2021 at 4:43 PM, Glenndale said:

The ‘official’ ones are just printed card, very easy to replicate. Highly doubt that they’ve been stolen from NHS.

Perhaps the way forward is to ask all passengers to confirm they have been vaccinated as seems to be the case increasingly  - and then get people to have a blood test to measure antibodies before embarkation - if you have antibodies for covid then either you have been vaccinated or you have survived covid - either gives you a fair bit of protection from being infected again, and gives others a lower chance of being infected by you. If the cruise line organises the blood test, and doesn't rely on any external organisation, then they can have their own confidence level in the result - and forgers of certificates trying to get on board without antibodies would then have made a false declaration, and be expecting to be denied boarding as well as forfeiting the cost of the cruise. Just one idea of course!

12 hours ago, mcloaked said:

Perhaps the way forward is to ask all passengers to confirm they have been vaccinated as seems to be the case increasingly  - and then get people to have a blood test to measure antibodies before embarkation - if you have antibodies for covid then either you have been vaccinated or you have survived covid - either gives you a fair bit of protection from being infected again, and gives others a lower chance of being infected by you. If the cruise line organises the blood test, and doesn't rely on any external organisation, then they can have their own confidence level in the result - and forgers of certificates trying to get on board without antibodies would then have made a false declaration, and be expecting to be denied boarding as well as forfeiting the cost of the cruise. Just one idea of course!

Seriously?

13 hours ago, mcloaked said:

1 hour ago, nosapphire said:

Seriously?

It actually makes as much sense the compulsory lateral flow test before you get on board.  The Big question is does everyone have a measurable antibody level after vaccination.  Secondly is it a finger ***** test, clearly they couldn't take blood. Saga would face big claims denying boarding to someone who has been vaccinated If lack of antibodies was not a near 100% indicator of non vaccination, and the test wasn't near 100% accurate. 

The finger ***** test , which has been ***** out , the *****is a 5 letter word beginning with p, for when you stick a pin in yourself.

Edited by Windsurfboy

Taken from the Saga web page

"There will be mandatory pre-departure Covid-19 testing at home and in the terminal for guests and crew, along with temperature checks and a full medical screening."

I assume the test at the port will have to be a lateral flow test, in order to get the results swiftly.

Not sure how the testing "at home" will be done. Will Saga be sending out testing kits to every passenger? 

Having a blood test is a nightmare for me. As soon as the needle goes in my veins collapse. Worst time was four different nurses an around 

10 needles before they got half a phial of blood.

We have a cruise booked this summer with Saga, but expect it to be cancelled.

18 hours ago, silversurf said:

Having a blood test is a nightmare for me. As soon as the needle goes in my veins collapse. Worst time was four different nurses an around 

10 needles before they got half a phial of blood.

We have a cruise booked this summer with Saga, but expect it to be cancelled.

But the blood test, as I understand it, is just a p***k on the finger, similar to a diabetes test. No need for a needle. 

At present the only facts are that Saga has announced embarking passengers must have already been vaccinated. Whatever other requirements, may or may not be required is just speculation at the moment.  Clearly the cruise lines, when they restart operations, have to aim to satisfy their fee paying passengers, for a cost that the passengers will be prepared to pay, and have an on board experience that they will enjoy enough to come back and do it again - and at the same time, have outgoings that are not more than their income. If there are sick or dying passengers on board that represents a large cost (even with some of the cost offset by insurers) - the experiences of some ships at the start of the pandemic being laid up with lots of ill passengers is not one they would wish to repeat, whether Saga, or any other cruise line. The crew must also feel safe, or they won't come back to work on the ships either.  So it will be a very careful strategy for the cruise lines to optimise their outgoings management and plan to not go into loss, despite the massive loss of income since spring 2020.  Of course the cruises are also going to be dependent on how different countries' ports decide to allow cruise passengers ashore and under what conditions - presumably there will be a lot of ongoing negotiations between port authorities, governments, and ship operators to try and find a way forward.  

There will inevitably be a lot of speculation among us passengers as we are certainly all keen to get on our next cruise - and of course we have lovely memories - and we would like cruises in the future that we book, or have booked, to be much like they were before.  I am sure the conditions under which the cruises will operate will slowly become clear over the next six months or so, but at present it simply isn't fully clear.  Hopefully though cruises will return to being the fabulous life at sea again  - life would just be unbearable if we didn't have cruises to look forward to.

On 2/19/2021 at 9:16 PM, mcloaked said:

Not gonna happen. NO WAY - in big capital letters underlined and in bold - is anyone sticking a needle in me in order for me to go on a cruise. And I think that would go for most people.

On 2/21/2021 at 12:09 PM, wowzz said:

But the blood test, as I understand it, is just a p***k on the finger, similar to a diabetes test. No need for a needle. 

Wouldn't you need a bit more blood like maybe a quarter test tube full not just a wipe on the diabetes test pad?

45 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Not gonna happen. NO WAY - in big capital letters underlined and in bold - is anyone sticking a needle in me in order for me to go on a cruise. And I think that would go for most people.

I presume you nean "no way" for a blood test, not for a vaccination?