Mask requirements in cruise ships.

Dolebludger

Yesterday I caught a news flash reporting that the CDC had just ruled that mask-wearing will be required for guests on cruise ships and in port terminals. I have not been able to find out for sure what parts of the ship must require mask wearing, but I’ll bet that they will be required in all areas except suits/cabins. Also, I am not clear on CDC’s jurisdictional limits, but it is clear that it has jurisdiction over cruises that start and/or end at a US port, or visit a US port intermediately. What is open for question is whether the CDC has jurisdiction over a cruise that doesn’t meet this criteria, but has guests including US residents. 

In any event, this rule is certain to be controversial. For example, we mask up every time we go to town. I even successfully lobbied our City Council to ad fines to their mask requirements. But I suspect that most (like us) don’t enjoy wearing a mask for long periods of time, so we just don’t participate in things that would require this. If a cruise is one of those “things” we are disinclined to book one as long as this requirement is necessary.

• Like 2

At this point, it is not relevant as I am not aware of one major cruise line who is going to comply with the CDC regulation of 1 crew per cabin. They are choosing to not sail in/from/to the USA until the CDC changes their position. The CDC can require drunk, amputee monkeys to captain the ships and it isn't going to happen...none of this will until the CDC works out viable rules that the cruise lines can live with. They will simply choose to sail elsewhere....or not at all.

• Like 3

The CDC mandate is for wearing masks when embarking, disembarking, and in the cruise terminal building.  Once the ship leaves US waters the CDC does not have any jurisdiction to require masks, however I suspect the cruise line will require them in public areas.  The new CDC mandate covers all modes of transportation such as busses, trains (including in terminals), taxis, Ubers, etc.

1 hour ago, Pcardad said:

My point was that it will never get that far as the cruise lines are refusing to change crew quarters to single occupancy...another requirement.

If cruises are confined to 50% guest occupancy, wouldn't there be the ability to give most of the needed crew single occupancy in the lesser rooms/"suites, considering that less crew could service guests at this reduced occupancy? I know that the number of needed mechanical crew  wouldn't change with reduced guest occcupancy, but the service crew could be reduced. But perhaps the total crew reduction might be too small for this to work?

The rules may change because of the vaccine.  The CDC rules were created before the vaccines were on line.  When a cruise line says that all crew must be fully vaccinated and tested before they get on the ship, this may change the CDC attitude about one crew member per cabin.

• Like 1

I attended a zoom update yesterday provided by the University of California at Irvine on clinical updates on COVID, the variants, vaccines, etc.  One of the professors did indicate that masks will be indicated long after we have herd immunity.  It was interesting that another one of the Professors indicated that the United States  will theoretically have herd immunity when we get between 70 - 80 percent of total population.  That will be a significant challenge given the political and conspiracy theorists.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 2/4/2021 at 3:16 PM, Pcardad said:

The CDC is proposing 55 to 60% and the cruise lines are not willing, as far as I know, to bunk crew in guest quarters.

Yes, putting crew in guest quarters probably wouldn’t make economic sense for a line like Regent. Guest quarters are too large or this purpose. But we have seen some of the inside quarters on mass market and budget lines, and many are tiny. About perfect for a single crew member, and not fit for two guests in my opinion. 

It seems inconsistent of the CDC to put stricter requirements on cruise ships and terminals than have been placed on air lines and airports. Inconsistency seem to be rampant in pandemic rules. In my area, much more restrictive rules apply to restaurants than those applied to grocery and big box stores.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2021 at 3:02 PM, Dolebludger said:

If cruises are confined to 50% guest occupancy, wouldn't there be the ability to give most of the needed crew single occupancy in the lesser rooms/"suites, considering that less crew could service guests at this reduced occupancy? I know that the number of needed mechanical crew  wouldn't change with reduced guest occcupancy, but the service crew could be reduced. But perhaps the total crew reduction might be too small for this to work?

They may actually need more crew if they are going touched for all good and drink services. That would eliminate the buffets and other areas like coffee shops that have self service food and drink.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cleckie said:

They may actually need more crew if they are going touched for all good and drink services. That would eliminate the buffets and other areas like coffee shops that have self service food and drink.

Yes, I have to assume that things like buffets, the freestyle Coca-Cola machines (that have been a key element on RCCL), self-serve ice cream, self-serve juice, water, self-serve coffee and tea -- anything like that will be gone.  This will require more (or at least different apportionment of) staffing going forward.  

It's also obvious that the ways and places in which passengers congregate: in the theaters and other entertainment venues, around the pools, clustered around trivia and bingo games, listening to enrichment lectures, and so on, will have to be carefully thought out.  While it is a lot of fun to get to know fellow passengers in these circumstances, the cruise lines are going to have to seat people in a way that is less conducive to the spread of communicable disease.  This means less crowded conditions on board the ships altogether.  Honestly, I wonder what this means for the mega ships in the future.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

My wife and I just had a similar discussion this past weekend - we're booked on the Tokyo-Tokyo in October and we're both of the opinion that if there's a ship-wide mask mandate we'd probably cancel and hope for better conditions in '22.  To us, wearing a mask 24/7 while anywhere outside of our cabin would NOT feel like a luxury experience and definitely wouldn't feel like a typical Regent cruise.

Mandatory masks while onboard would be a deal-breaker for us.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, UUNetBill said:To us, wearing a mask 24/7 while anywhere outside of our cabin would NOT feel like a luxury experience and definitely wouldn't feel like a typical Regent cruise.

3 hours ago, UUNetBill said:To us, wearing a mask 24/7 while anywhere outside of our cabin would NOT feel like a luxury experience and definitely wouldn't feel like a typical Regent cruise.

Mandatory masks while onboard would be a deal-breaker for us.

We are now 23 days without Covid following our second lockdown. Today is our first day of freedom, without a mask, social distancing etc. I would like to say back to normal, but it certainly can’t be because who knows if/when a third wave may arrive?

All I can say is that we’re looking forward to a ‘proper’ Regent experience when it is safe to do so. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jimmcdaniel said:

If everyone on the cruise is vaccinated (as should be a requirement to board), I don't see why masks would be required while on board the ship.

We HOPE that is a correct assumption.  We despise wearing these useless pieces of tissue paper.  🤣

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Jimmcdaniel said:

If everyone on the cruise is vaccinated (as should be a requirement to board), I don't see why masks would be required while on board the ship.

As long as everyone on board and everyone that comes onboard (pilots, customs officials, local tourist representatives, etc.) is vaccinated there should be no reason to require masks on board. That is what we want to hear.

Masking for certain shore activities is negotiable in my mind.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, labonnevie said:

As long as everyone on board and everyone that comes onboard (pilots, customs officials, local tourist representatives, etc.) is vaccinated there should be no reason to require masks on board. That is what we want to hear.

Masking for certain shore activities is negotiable in my mind.

It is my understanding that this is the plan. Absolutely no exceptions will be made.

• Like 3

I have a question.  My daughter can not absolutely get the shots, even on the advice of her doctor.  She’s allergic to flu shots (even ended up in  ER one time after one).

has anyone seen anything about what people like her are suppose to do?

While unfortunate your daughter cannot take the shots on doctors orders that doesn’t change the resquuenents to safely sail so she won’t be allowed on the ship. 

No exceptions fir taking the vaccine should be allowed. That simple.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1