canada done for the year

luckyinpa

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2021/02/government-of-canada-announces-one-year-ban-for-pleasure-craft-and-cruise-vessels.html?fbclid=IwAR2y1t2nOd-XKXj-mop5mQJwa-QGFmiIer1EJ1sf4Vv2ex8cHMu3K5rd0f0

Today, the Minister of Transport, the Honourable Omar Alghabra, announced two new Interim Orders, which prohibit pleasure craft in Canadian Arctic waters and cruise vessels in all Canadian waters until February 28, 2022.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, clo said:

Good for them. I'm respecting Canada more and more.

PS: I guess that means the Alaska cruises won't happen, right?

I was just going to point out that putting this on the Canada/ new England board is not the right place because it also affects the Alaska cruises.

31 minutes ago, electro said:

I was just going to point out that putting this on the Canada/ new England board is not the right place because it also affects the Alaska cruises.

Already one there. BTW, it was started before this one.

Cruise Ships Banned in Canadian Waters until February 2022 - Canada (Alaska/Pacific Coastal) - Cruise Critic Community

Edited by Host Kat
Additional information.

29 minutes ago, KEN W said:

Only out of Vancouver.....should still be available out of Seattle. Just cannot stop in Canadian ports.

Are you talking about RT Alaska cruises out of Seattle?  Because the Passenger Vessel Services Act requires foreign-flagged vessels (which includes virtually all of the ships of mainstream cruise lines) transporting people on a closed-loop cruise from an American port to stop at a "foreign port" (which includes ports in Canada).     If it's a one-way cruise from one American port to a different American port (e.g., Seattle to Seward), the ship must call at a "distant foreign port" -- a term that is defined in the PVSA and that does not include ports in Canada, among other places.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2021 at 7:08 AM, Nitemare said:

I wonder if they will figure out a way around this rule for the one season, if the US deems it safe to sail

To quote Yoda; "difficult it would be".  The law, which cannot be changed by Executive Order, only allows for exemptions for "national security reasons" and if there are no "coastwise qualified" (i.e. PVSA compliant) vessels available.  I would think that American Cruise Lines, several smaller lines in the Pacific Northwest, and the Alaskan Marine Highway would say that they are available for service.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Canada is opening its ports to cruise ships beginning November 1, 2021. As long as operators fully comply with public health requirements they will be able to dock in Canada the Minister of Transport said. 

As Canadians have done their part to reduce the spread of COVID-19, our government continues to work hard to safely restart our economy and build back better. We will welcome cruise ships—an important part of our tourism sector—back in Canadian waters for the 2022 season," 

-Canadian Minister of Transport

Jonathan

50 minutes ago, cruiserking said:

Canada is opening its ports to cruise ships beginning November 1, 2021. As long as operators fully comply with public health requirements they will be able to dock in Canada the Minister of Transport said. 

As Canadians have done their part to reduce the spread of COVID-19, our government continues to work hard to safely restart our economy and build back better. We will welcome cruise ships—an important part of our tourism sector—back in Canadian waters for the 2022 season," 

-Canadian Minister of Transport

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Yes we saw this also and so glad that Canada has done a good job to open up. I know initially it was not till Feb 2022.

We feel sorry for the 4th being cancelled this year we know of past CC'ers booked for next year.

We are opting to sail in Sept 2022 to NE/CAN instead. But was attracted to Cunard's Carib Cruise Jan-Apr.

(Sent an email to your old email address but not sure if it is correct) 

1 minute ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Hi Jonathan,

Yes we saw this also and so glad that Canada has done a good job to open up. I know initially it was not till Feb 2022.

We feel sorry for the 4th being cancelled this year we know of past CC'ers booked for next year.

We are opting to sail in Sept 2022 to NE/CAN instead. But was attracted to Cunard's Carib Cruise Jan-Apr.

(Sent an email to your old email address but not sure if it is correct) 

Hey Ed, 

Good to hear from you. That will be a lovely cruise up to Quebec. I imagine you'll spend a few days there post cruise. 

Would love to do an extended QM2 cruise again soon. January thru April is usually the World Cruise.

No July 4 for 2022 for you then. 

Be Well. 

Jonathan

1 hour ago, cruiserking said:

Hey Ed, 

Good to hear from you. That will be a lovely cruise up to Quebec. I imagine you'll spend a few days there post cruise. 

Would love to do an extended QM2 cruise again soon. January thru April is usually the World Cruise.

No July 4 for 2022 for you then. 

Be Well. 

Jonathan

Jonathan,

Nice to hear from you.

No we will be doing a BTB NYC-NYC... well deserved after dedication.

WC is being turned into several different cruises including Caribbean till April then resume listed schedule for 2022.

No but we know several on due to Bar Harbor and Halifax.

Hoping after Canada opens the sailing will be close to normal but I doubt it for several years but we are ready unless more adapting.

2 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Jonathan,

Nice to hear from you.

No we will be doing a BTB NYC-NYC... well deserved after dedication.

WC is being turned into several different cruises including Caribbean till April then resume listed schedule for 2022.

No but we know several on due to Bar Harbor and Halifax.

Hoping after Canada opens the sailing will be close to normal but I doubt it for several years but we are ready unless more adapting.

Hi Ed, 

I will have to check out the Cunard website. I didn't realize they were doing an extended Caribbean season. I wish they would do that more often. 

Sent you an email. 

Jonathan

4 minutes ago, cruiserking said:

Hi Ed, 

I will have to check out the Cunard website. I didn't realize they were doing an extended Caribbean season. I wish they would do that more often. 

Jonathan

Will send you a copy of what bev sent me of listing. Don't know how much has been released and where.

• Like 1