Canada Locks Down to Feb 28 2022

GICNJC

Sounds more heavy-handed than it is in practice. Canada's cruise season is brief not like out of Florida that is year round.

There was only a glimmer of hope for early Alaska sailings and the cruise lines would not want to spend big bucks getting ship prepped to have the seasons sliced and diced a month or two at a time until there was no hope. Tear off the bandage. Tougher on New England / Canada cruises that had a possibility of sailing. But how can one buy flights (and the airlines resisting refunds in Canada) if unsure the cruise will sail. 

That said, I had a cruise scheduled for 2021 fall out of Vancouver that the C/L cancelled in November. I think they wanted to redeploy elsewhere and not prep the ship for that sailing with not a lot of hope for earlier sailings so they used a CDC ruling to cancel early. I'm not unhappy though disappointed of course but I know my plans.

The article does offer that the order could be rescinded as conditions change but with the lack of vaccines I think it is unlikely to be done in time for a cruise to be scheduled.

Have to get this virus under control so business and travel can resume. Until the world is safe we will continue to suffer its effects on society, and each of us.

Edited by YoHoHo

Canada moves early, but other countries will follow with various ban extensions.

Priorities, get the virus under control first, then slowly open tourism borders.

Cruise ship tourism....not top of that list for many countries.

A realistic and pragmatic decision by Canada.

Will stop the unrealistic expectations of many on various other forums expecting 2021 Alaska to proceed utilising Canadian ports.

• Thanks 1

maybe a good plan  to say now no ships  for now

We may not even have everyone vaccinated  by the fall  at the rate  we are going

The Vaccine companies & cutting supplies to Canada  weekly

I would rather they keep the people out  than risk getting some variant of Covid  running rampant

JMO

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

This will likewise take out completely, if not part, of TA’s returning from Europe.

So most of them 'hit' Canada? We did two TAs, one Lisbon to Rio and the other Barcelona to FLL. But that was more than ten years ago.

5 minutes ago, clo said:

So most of them 'hit' Canada? We did two TAs, one Lisbon to Rio and the other Barcelona to FLL. But that was more than ten years ago.

Some do some don’t. I think Riveria takes the northern route through Iceland, Greenland, Canada. Others go South as you mentioned. 

If one reserved a cruise for the northern route, expect changes or cancelled cruises.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Some do some don’t. I think Riveria takes the northern route through Iceland, Greenland, Canada. Others go South as you mentioned. 

If one reserved a cruise for the northern route, expect changes or cancelled cruises.

Oops, I forgot that this was Oceania board. But thanks.

1 minute ago, PaulMCO said:

Wonder if the cruise industry will lobby to get waiver to the Passenger Vessel Services Act.

Same with the Alaska Tourism board.

I wonder how many cruises this embargo will affect.

Just now, clo said:

I wonder how many cruises this embargo will affect.

I just checked and made a change to my original statement.  They will ban even cruise ships from Canadian waters.  Even with a waiver would make a sailing hard to do.  With a waiver cruises would have to leave from Anchorage/Seward

17 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

I just checked and made a change to my original statement.  They will ban even cruise ships from Canadian waters.  Even with a waiver would make a sailing hard to do.  With a waiver cruises would have to leave from Anchorage/Seward

Did you think there would be an Alaska season starting in May ?

7 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

Did you think there would be an Alaska season starting in May ?

Likely Nooooo...  I am waiting to see what Oceania/NCL does.  Will they keep their guests hanging and cancel or will they wait until April for the May cruise of July for my August cruise.   They have a bigger problem with NCL who has a number of ships (at least 4) doing Alaska from Seattle/Vancouver.

• Thanks 1

So if Canada can arbitrarily set the terms for shutdown of the intra coastal water way, then the US can arbitrarily shutdown the St.Lawrence Seaway? Maybe it’s not safe for any ships, of any size, there. Start at Lake Superior and the locks along the border. Those giant freight haulers, with their foreign crews are just too dangerous.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

So if Canada can arbitrarily set the terms for shutdown of the intra coastal water way, then the US can arbitrarily shutdown the St.Lawrence Seaway? Maybe it’s not safe for any ships, of any size, there. Start at Lake Superior and the locks along the border. Those giant freight haulers, with their foreign crews are just too dangerous.

Canada & the US have agreed to allow commercial traffic(trucks, planes, ships).  No changes so far and none expected.  I live near the Canadian border.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Tom47 said:

Canada & the US have agreed to allow commercial traffic(trucks, planes, ships).  No changes so far and none expected.  I live near the Canadian border.

Thanks. @pinotlover, has a prickly spot when it comes to this issue...no matter where in the world it occurs. I was hoping by now with the death tolls being what they are that they might have settle down a bit.

• Like 1

The Alaska 7-day round-trip from Seattle cruises all go around the outside of Vancouver Island for speed.  They typically just make a short evening stop in Victoria on the way back to maintain PVSA compliance.

With a slowish vaccination pace in Canada, it makes sense to me to limit cruises from their ports.

If Alaska continues good progress on vaccination, and the cruises can ensure crew and passengers are vaccinated ahead of time, I think it would be possible to safely run cruises to Alaska this summer if they could get a PVSA exception.  Whether the preparation and timing involved would be feasible would be a different question.

Edited by curmudgeon98
clarify

43 minutes ago, Empehi said:

Perhaps Alaska is gone for 2021 but perhaps O with their smaller ships can do a few New England cruises with the foreign port being St. Pierre & Miquelon. Let's think out of the box.

e

You may wish to research the recent ban, ie. 3 days ago, on tourist arrivals by the French Govt which includes their Overseas Territories.

This covers residents outside the EU from high risk countries.

Several low risk countries are exempt.

Edited by Tranquility Base

Clo;

I wish the same to Vegas’s economy as you do the tourist areas of Alaska. Let’s shutdown everything in Vegas for you Fauci disciplines for the same period that Canada is essentially shutting down those Alaska ports. Economic consequences don’t matter to you or Fauci. You’d probably be happy, safe, and would enjoy the quiet while those around you starve and are foreclosed upon.

I have no problem with Canada shutting down its tourist economy for as long as it wants. I do have a problem with shutting down the intra coastal seaway, even if ships aren’t stopping in Canada.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Clo;

I wish the same to Vegas’s economy as you do the tourist areas of Alaska. Let’s shutdown everything in Vegas for you Fauci disciplines for the same period that Canada is essentially shutting down those Alaska ports. Economic consequences don’t matter to you or Fauci. You’d probably be happy, safe, and would enjoy the quiet while those around you starve and are foreclosed upon.

I have no problem with Canada shutting down its tourist economy for as long as it wants. I do have a problem with shutting down the intra coastal seaway, even if ships aren’t stopping in Canada.

Second of all, I live nowhere near Vegas and they have unique problems.

8 hours ago, Empehi said:

Perhaps Alaska is gone for 2021 but perhaps O with their smaller ships can do a few New England cruises with the foreign port being St. Pierre & Miquelon. Let's think out of the box....

The decision is as a result of COVID-19, nothing to do with PVSA and foreign porting!