FCC or refund? Your experience

mimbecky

Sorry in advance as I am sure this has been covered elsewhere but I was sure it wouldn't apply to me and haven't read up on it.  Apparently Canada has made it so Alaska cruising this year is out.  Do I take the FCC at 125% (if that is what is still offered) or just refund?  I understand the 125% isn't that great because cruising is so much more $$ now.

Your opinions?

M

11 minutes ago, mimbecky said:

Sorry in advance as I am sure this has been covered elsewhere but I was sure it wouldn't apply to me and haven't read up on it.  Apparently Canada has made it so Alaska cruising this year is out.  Do I take the FCC at 125% (if that is what is still offered) or just refund?  I understand the 125% isn't that great because cruising is so much more $$ now.

Your opinions?

M

Cash is always king. 

I think it can vary. I took the 125% FCC with RCI and was able to upgrade cabin categories then did a L/S and have a considerable amount of FCC excess. RCI seems to offer better options than the limited sail by dates Celebrity is offering. JMHO and how it has worked out for us. Explore all your specific options.

While 125% isn't great with the higher prices, it's still 25% more than 100% cash. The real question is whether you feel that you will be able to or want to use the FCC on Celebrity within its time limit. Personally, I'd take the cash, simply because I'm not locked into one cruise line that way.

Last April we got a FCC, we were about to apply it to a cruise for last September which was cancelled; then wanted it applied to a  Asia cruise this year- yep  cancelled along with a October TA  for this year.  So we are hoping to be able to sail early next year as we are running time to use the FCC.

I would take the refund, with no sailing and huge debt not sure how much longer cruises can stay afloat.

33 minutes ago, mimbecky said:

Your opinions?

M

$$$$$$$$$$$$

We have taken the cash.  Ireland/Iceland in May 2020, Alaska in July 2020 (canceled at final payment got a deposit refund) and the Med in Oct 2021 (lifted and shifted from Oct 2020 before it was canceled)...all of them, just send me the money and met me choose when and where I use it rather than being locked in to another Celebrity cruise. 

If you will definitely sail Celebrity regardless of the price before the FCC expires, take the FCC. Otherwise, take cash. I would take cash. We are slowly mentally cancelling our future vacation plans at this point and holding tight until things start to turn around. If means not cruising for 21 or 22, that's something we are comfortable with. A FCC would only drag me down and put pressure to travel before we are ready. But for someone who is ready to cruise the second it starts no matter what, a 25% return is a good return.

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

If you will definitely sail Celebrity regardless of the price before the FCC expires, take the FCC. Otherwise, take cash. I would take cash. We are slowly mentally cancelling our future vacation plans at this point and holding tight until things start to turn around. If means not cruising for 21 or 22, that's something we are comfortable with. A FCC would only drag me down and put pressure to travel before we are ready. But for someone who is ready to cruise the second it starts no matter what, a 25% return is a good return.

Yep totally agree.  WE decided today our Europe Aug 2021 is not happening.  Opted for the full refund of $2100 (was a combined from 2 previous cancelled cruises).  Kept 2 current res for 2022 but have plenty of time to decide on those,  Good luck all!!

5 hours ago, Marelaine said:

We considered doing a lift and shift, but there were too many restrictions. Celebrity costs have gone up so the FCC doesn't mean much. We took the cash refund.

Lift and Shift finished at the end of January, so unless they bring it back in another form, it’s no longer an option.

I would take the refund. We are now a year from the first cruise (Diamond Princess) hitting the headlines off the coast of Japan and things don’t seem to be improving.
Who knows when things will get back to normal?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fouremco said:

While 125% isn't great with the higher prices, it's still 25% more than 100% cash. The real question is whether you feel that you will be able to or want to use the FCC on Celebrity within its time limit. Personally, I'd take the cash, simply because I'm not locked into one cruise line that way.

I had a Med cruise for last May which I cancelled the day prior to final payment and have $125 canadian FCC. It was a reduced deposit available to use by end September 2022.  I would like to wait and see how sailings go before I commit to anything. 

• Like 1

Just now, garland36 said:

Hi

can you use more than one FCC on a cruise

i have 3 celebrity FCC and have one cruise planned for 2022   

Thanks 

Each passenger can use one FCC, if solo, you can only use one

42 minutes ago, garland36 said:

Hi

can you use more than one FCC on a cruise

i have 3 celebrity FCC and have one cruise planned for 2022   

Thanks 

41 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Each passenger can use one FCC, if solo, you can only use one

While @LGW59's information was correct in the past, Celebrity now allows you to use multiple FCC's.

Can I use the Future Cruise Credit across multiple itineraries, or does it have to be used for a single booking?

Your Future Cruise Credit may be used across multiple sailings if there is a remaining balance after its initial use.  Any remaining funds on the FCC will continue to be available until you have used the entire value of the FCC or it expires, whichever occurs first.  A recent enhancement now allows multiple FCCs to be applied per guest within the same reservation.

• Thanks 1

I was just told the same thing from a rep today.

You can use multiple FCCs for the same new cruise. 

I did both. I canceled one outright and took the cash. And for another.... I took the FCC.

If you are definitely going to cruise with Celebrity and you do not mind your money being parked for a bit while you decide on your next potential trip, then why not keep the credit. 

25% is better than any bank.

BUT, if you used a credit card and did not pay it off, then the CC interest could very well be more than 25%.

38 minutes ago, morechances said:

25% is better than any bank.

What about investing the cash refund from a cancelled cruise? Granted you won't get 25% initially but over time it will grow especially the way the markets are going these days. Just a thought. 

• Like 1

We had back to back cruises booked from Dublin for May 2020. We canceled shortly before all the cruises from Dublin were canceled (but after our final payment). We were told by TA that could not get all cash refund just partial and rest in FCC. When we went to book a single cruise using the FCC we were told that we had to apply to two separate cruises since the FCC came from two separate cruises. Now this stream seems to indicate that Celebrity is now allowing FCC's to be applied to a single cruise in this case??  We have asked a few times about getting cash refund for all but told no......has that changed?  Thanks

22 minutes ago, funcruzer1 said:

We had back to back cruises booked from Dublin for May 2020. We canceled shortly before all the cruises from Dublin were canceled (but after our final payment). We were told by TA that could not get all cash refund just partial and rest in FCC. When we went to book a single cruise using the FCC we were told that we had to apply to two separate cruises since the FCC came from two separate cruises. Now this stream seems to indicate that Celebrity is now allowing FCC's to be applied to a single cruise in this case??  We have asked a few times about getting cash refund for all but told no......has that changed?  Thanks

Posted a short while ago by @Fouremco:  

Can I use the Future Cruise Credit across multiple itineraries, or does it have to be used for a single booking?

Your Future Cruise Credit may be used across multiple sailings if there is a remaining balance after its initial use.  Any remaining funds on the FCC will continue to be available until you have used the entire value of the FCC or it expires, whichever occurs first.  A recent enhancement now allows multiple FCCs to be applied per guest within the same reservation.