RCL - Use St. Pierre & Miquelon for Eastern US Cruises in 2021

Empehi

4 hours ago, gtalum said:

Greenland is a long sail from NYC or Boston.  I doubt it will be seen as a viable alternative to Canada cruises.

I did a cruise to Greenland that went to 3 ports in Canada and 3 in Greenland.  I believe we had 2 seadays from Canada to Greenland.  But if they don't stop in Canada I would think  they could do it as a 10 or 11 day cruise.  Would love to go back.

8 hours ago, gtalum said:

Greenland is a long sail from NYC or Boston.  I doubt it will be seen as a viable alternative to Canada cruises.

Boston to southern Greenland is 1750 nautical miles, so at 16 knots, that's 4.5 days each way.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

So back to the original topic, it looks like the itineraries could be altered for 2021 sailings to potentially include Greenland as a stop for many ships. 

Possibly.  But right now, Greenland travel is shut down completely until the end of February, and their website states that when travel to Greenland reopens, it will most likely follow Denmark's rules, meaning that anyone traveling to Greenland from outside of Denmark or the Faroe Islands will need to have a "worthy purpose to travel".  I suspect that Greenland will remain in travel restrictions for quite some time to preserve their "bubble".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/5/2021 at 5:56 PM, TMLAalum said:

Always wanted to visit Greenland.

On 2/5/2021 at 5:59 PM, chengkp75 said:

As for Greenland, those ports are out because of the new Polar Code, which places all of Greenland, but not Iceland, out of bounds for any ship that doesn't meet the new PC6 rating (and no mainstream cruise ship does, nor do virtually any of existing ships).

Not much to see at Greenland ports. Maybe the history museum in Nuuk, but that's a very small port. Or if weather and sea conditions permit, maybe some humpback whale watching.

I'm guessing that even Erik the Red's ships wouldn't pass PC6.  So much for resurgence in farming due to climate change.🙃