US sweepstakes - "Let Them All Talk'" crossing

Underwatr

"Enter... for a chance to sail in the [Q2] suite featured in Let Them All Talk, now streaming on HBO Max. Grand prize winner and a guest will enjoy a 7‑night Transatlantic Crossing between New York and London in a luxurious Queens Grill Suite aboard Cunard's Queen Mary 2."

https://cunardmoviesweeps.com/

According to the contest rules, ARV (crossing only, no airfare, hotel or onboard credit) is $33,000, which means my bill from the IRS would be more than I'd normally care to pay for a Britannia stateroom crossing. I entered anyway.

Open to legal residents of the 50 US states and DC. One entry per person. 

Cruise must be booked by September 1, 2021 and must be on a crossing itinerary between April 2022 and December 2022. 

Edited by Underwatr
  • Like 1

We've done six TA on QM2, all in PG. That ARV is equal to the cost of all six combined for two people. (Counting only base cost, not taxes, gratuities, etc.)

The important item that explains this is in the grand prize description in the complete rules, with emphasis added:

"The one (1) verified Winner (“Winner”) will receive one (1) seven (7) night Transatlantic
Crossing cruise for the Winner and one (1) guest (“Guest”) between New York, New York and Southampton, England in Queens Grill Category Suite (Category Q2), double occupancy accommodations (“Cruise”)."

I checked a randomly selected 2022 TA price in Q2, and US$33,000 is consistent with the two-person base cost.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, 57eric said:

Was a winner ever announced, or does Cunard not publicize this information?

According to the official rules for the sweepstakes:

"For Winner’s first name and surname initial, city & state, please visit www.Cunard.com/SweepsWinner by May 5, 2021."

That page currently says:

The Sweepstakes has ended.

One lucky winner will be announced soon. Come back to this page at a later date.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2021 at 2:59 PM, 57eric said:

Was a winner ever announced, or does Cunard not publicize this information?

To follow up, I see the winner of the "Let Them All Talk" sweepstakes has been announced.

Congratulations to Janie Y. from Decatur, GA on winning a 7-night Transatlantic Crossing between New York, New York and Southampton, England in a Queens Grill Suite!

9 hours ago, Winchester Ranger said:

In my opinion only cash prizes are worth the resultant tax bill in the US.  The American tax code is sufficiently complex and oppressive to the point that it actually encourages under-reporting.

You got that right!

15 hours ago, Winchester Ranger said:

In my opinion only cash prizes are worth the resultant tax bill in the US.  The American tax code is sufficiently complex and oppressive to the point that it actually encourages under-reporting.

Plus the fact that the declared value (reported as taxable) for trips is often grossly overstated.  On “Wheel of Fortune” for example the “value” assigned to one week island stays is regularly thousands more than I pay for comparable travel.  A “free” trip you could arrange yourself for $4,000 is claimed to be worth $8,000 - so you wind up paying the IRS perhaps $2,000  plus perhaps $500 or $600 to your state.

Edited by navybankerteacher

12 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Plus the fact that the declared value (reported as taxable) for trips is often grossly overstated.  On “Wheel of Fortune” for example the “value” assigned to one week island stays is regularly thousands more than I pay for comparable travel.  A “free” trip you could arrange yourself for $4,000 is claimed to be worth $8,000 - so you wind up paying the IRS perhaps $2,000  plus perhaps $500 or $600 to your state.

ISTR that you can argue down the declared value by finding street pricing for the itinerary that reflects a lower price.

I did say this in the OP:

On 2/5/2021 at 2:10 PM, Underwatr said:

According to the contest rules, ARV (crossing only, no airfare, hotel or onboard credit) is $33,000, which means my bill from the IRS would be more than I'd normally care to pay for a Britannia stateroom crossing. I entered anyway.