Regent pushes Final Payment back for sailing through July 31st 2021

SireDoime

Last month I heard that Regent suspended bookings, I believe, March through April. These sailings were refunded automatically with no action on the part of the guest.

Well, my July cruise to Greece (which I booked last year) had a Final Payment due on March 4th, and I hadn't heard anything from Regent regarding that sailing.

So Thursday (Feb 4, 2021) I called my Regent Consultant to let her know that I want to fully cancel my booking. Well, she alerted me to an email that Regent had just sent out an hour before I made that call. It read:

-------------------------------------

IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING YOUR UPCOMING CRUISE

DATE OF ISSUANCE: FEBRUARY 3, 2021

Dear Valued Guest and Travel Advisor*,

Regent Seven Seas Cruises continues to closely monitor the COVID-19 coronavirus situation and the global health environment. We are modifying our payment schedule for voyages departing through July 31, 2021 — for any reservations that have not yet been paid in full, final payment will now be due 60 days prior to cruise departure date.

Invoices will not reflect the new final payment date. Cancellation penalties will remain at their current level until the new final payment date.

If you have questions regarding this matter, please contact us using the phone numbers below.

Sincerely,

Regent Seven Seas Cruises

Regent Seven Seas Cruises Reservations Phone Numbers:
• United States / Canada: 1.844.4REGENT (1.844.473.4368) or (954) 776-6123
• United Kingdom: 02380 682280
• Rest of Europe: +44 (2380) 682140
• Australia / New Zealand / Asia Pacific: 1.300.455.200
• Latin America / Brazil: 0800 400-3132 or +1 (954) 940-7486

------------------------------------

Well, I was rather surprised, because this was exactly what I was waiting to hear. I normally check my email every week. However, since I checked it the day before, I missed it on that day. So my Final Payment is now May 2nd. But if I cancel before then, then I'll be subject to the penalties as if the payment had not changed. Which I think is unfair.

After talking it out with my RC I decided to keep the booking, and wait it out. I have learned that those who cancel before such announcements are made become subject to cancellation penalties and fees.

I did tell her that I am not really motivated to travel abroad this year (as the CDC recommends against international travel), or any travel onboard cruise ships until the pandemic has been declared over. But, I will wait it out, and see what develops by summer.

Regent seems to be responsible one, by not sailing any ships; while others like Carnival - who seem to not care at all 🥵 - just book anyway.

That said, good luck to us all! 😄

PS: My invoice was updated to reflect the new Final Payment date in an email sent the next day.

Edited by SireDoime
Update on invoice and emojiis

1 hour ago, SireDoime said:

So my Final Payment is now May 2nd. But if I cancel before then, then I'll be subject to the penalties as if the payment had not changed. Which I think is unfair.

Are you sure?  My final payment was changed from December to March some time ago,  and had the exact same terms.  My initial reaction was the same as yours.  I asked my TA about the penalty, and she said that "not changing" meant that my penalty does not get any higher (i.e. it remains at the $100 pp admin penalty), not that the original schedule remains in effect.  Otherwise I probably would have cancelled it in December.  My May cruise should be cancelled any day now by Regent anyway, comfortably before the new final payment date.   When that happens, the question will sadly become moot for my booking.

Edited by SusieQft

2 hours ago, SusieQft said:

Are you sure?  My final payment was changed from December to March some time ago,  and had the exact same terms.  My initial reaction was the same as yours.  I asked my TA about the penalty, and she said that "not changing" meant that my penalty does not get any higher (i.e. it remains at the $100 pp admin penalty), not that the original schedule remains in effect.  Otherwise I probably would have cancelled it in December.  My May cruise should be cancelled any day now by Regent anyway, comfortably before the new final payment date.   When that happens, the question will sadly become moot for my booking.

What my Regent Consultant told me was that the penalties "will reset" after the new payment date. I do know that as of now, I am still beholden to the 100$ fee if I cancel "now", before the 120 day mark (March 4th). Especially since the email states: "Cancellation penalties will remain at their current level until the new final payment date."

As for the rest, I just interpreted as such (this is why I genuinely hate the cancellation policies for cruising). I thought if I cancelled, say on May 1st, then I'll be subject to the 50% penalty fee for 90-61 day cancellations prior to sailing.

While I trust my RC, I'm still  going to call Regent this morning to get more insight on this.

However, I have learned that it is best to leave the booking alone, and let Regent handle it: meaning if they suspend it, let them do that as opposed to trying to cancel or rebook beforehand.

Because I was actually trying to rebook the day I got this email.

Edited by SireDoime
Clarification

POST NOTE:

Okay so when I wrote this I actually thought that Carnival and others were sailing right now, just not their full fleet. I have now learned otherwise 🤐. I thought this because of videos of cruisers onboard ships (wearing masks, social distancing, not serving themselves, and using contact tracing, etc.) between December of last year and at the latest - last month.

I believe now these were be local (or test) cruises abroad, like Singapore (which I know for a fact is doing "cruising nowhere" cruises), but not from US ports. So, my remark about Carnival is a bit off the mark.

Peace 🙃