Cruise with/without a mask

antsp

5 hours ago, nini said:

Probably not...

If we are all vaccinated (which will probably be required),

praytell, why do we need to mask up!

1. All of us will be vaccinated

2. Masks should then be optional and voluntary.

3. We will have learned to remember to wash our hands, use sanitizers

that are all over the ship, and crew will serve you from the buffet.

You can expect vaccination or no vaccination that the CDC and therefore the cruise lines, will continue to enforce restrictions until such a time as the COVID incidence rate has been sufficiently reduced in the US.  Even with the vaccines being available that will depend upon the number getting vaccinated, compliance with mask use and social distancing, and the appearance of any new variants that might escape the current vaccines.

So to answer your questions

1. There is data on vaccine efficacy, but the there are a lot of questions on how well the vaccine works in the general public and how long it lasts.  Still not known if it stops symptoms or actual infections, if someone vaccinated can still pass on the illness (unfortunately the answer seems to be yes as far as some vaccines, it seems to reduce asymptomatic infection but not eliminate it from a recent AZ data release and a similar one from another manufacturer (do not recall which one))

2. because the vaccine, even it performs as trials indicate will not protect everyone

3. The new variant's which may or may not be stopped by the vaccine

Basically the vaccines are additional tools to stop the epidemic, but the end is determined by the rate of new infections.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

The masks are the least of the problems. It's all of the other restrictions that I have been reading on the other boards that will keep me from cruising

3. Only being able to eat or drink in a venue or restaurant ( I predict table and bar stool hogs)

For the cruise lines that have announced restrictions, sitting at a bar is prohibited.

2 hours ago, nocl said:

So to answer your questions

1. There is data on vaccine efficacy, but the there are a lot of questions on how well the vaccine works in the general public and how long it lasts.  Still not known if it stops symptoms or actual infections, if someone vaccinated can still pass on the illness (unfortunately the answer seems to be yes as far as some vaccines, it seems to reduce asymptomatic infection but not eliminate it from a recent AZ data release and a similar one from another manufacturer (do not recall which one))

And that is why normal vaccines go through two or three year phase three testing. At the end of this time, the answers to such questions are known.

With this pandemic, it was necessary to issue EUAs for vaccines after only two or three months of phase three trials.

So masks and other sensible restrictions may still be needed until the phase three trials have gone long enough to find the answers to those questions.

5 hours ago, oskidunker said:

Assuming. Masks  are not required on your balcony, a cruise through the Norwegian Fjords might work-or may e the Panama Canal.If masks are required on individual balconies, I will cancel. Anyone know?

Not everyone will have a balcony many more have inside cabins

I just realized that I was off of the OP's question. But my answer is not yes or no. It is:

Yes I will sail if masks are required. I will NOT sail if masks are NOT required (while there is still a pandemic).

I just don't get the people who believe they have the "right" to put others (and themselves) at unnecessary risk because they don't want to limit themselves.

You do not have the "right" to drive 100 km/h (60 MPH) on a residential street because you think that usually nobody will get hurt either. It's the same thing.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, caribill said:

For the cruise lines that have announced restrictions, sitting at a bar is prohibited.

Actually that's the rule  here on land as well.  I forgot. The only exception is if it's a bar and grill and you are having a meal at the bar.

12 hours ago, oskidunker said:

Assuming. Masks  are not required on your balcony, a cruise through the Norwegian Fjords might work-or may e the Panama Canal.If masks are required on individual balconies, I will cancel. Anyone know?

As of right now only the Shadow knows.  And he isn't sure.

15 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Agreed, everybody on board should be vaccinated. But there is no one answer to a pandemic. Until it ceases to be a pandemic, we need to throw everything at it. Extra hygiene, masks, distancing, vaccines and anything else.

My point is that if 100 percent of the passengers and crew have been vaccinated the, ipso facto, you have reached herd immunity.  Therefore the use of masks is not necessary.  I don't mean this to be argumentative.  I'm giving my reasoning for my original response.  Even though I have have been vaccinated, I follow all precautions while on land because we don't have herd immunity yet.

10 minutes ago, rljan said:

My point is that if 100 percent of the passengers and crew have been vaccinated the, ipso facto, you have reached herd immunity.  Therefore the use of masks is not necessary.  I don't mean this to be argumentative.  I'm giving my reasoning for my original response.  Even though I have have been vaccinated, I follow all precautions while on land because we don't have herd immunity yet.

Interesting idea. It would mean all people would need to have vaccine/s and required post vaccine time to develop antibodies. 

8 hours ago, caribill said:

And that is why normal vaccines go through two or three year phase three testing. At the end of this time, the answers to such questions are known.

With this pandemic, it was necessary to issue EUAs for vaccines after only two or three months of phase three trials.

So masks and other sensible restrictions may still be needed until the phase three trials have gone long enough to find the answers to those questions.

Those items will not be answered in the trials, because the trials are not designed to answer them.

those question are usually known before vaccines are available because normally the illnesses the vaccines are released for have been studied for years and are well understood before the vaccines were started. With Covid we still know very little. Studying the illness itself will answer those questions.

• Like 1

Masks are just one of the questions - are the rules that Princess follows, the CDC rules for the US; then what happens on all the European cruises scheduled. What rules are they going to follow? Right now we have the Regal scheduled for 14 days out of Southampton to Norway fjords.

Norway is shut down till 5/1/21, then what. UK is no better then the US situation. Whose rules are to be followed, all vaccinated, masks, restricted excursions, testing, testing and what if? Might be too early to sit on a plane for hours, foreign hotel, cabs and board a cruise ship that has the possibility of being “unhealthy” with people from all over the world.
What we are doing is considering all the possibilities, weighing the facts, and waiting till final payment(May2) to decide. Also, have backed this cruise up with another(Sky Princess) for summer of 22.

Hal

12 hours ago, cattolica said:

I am actually amazed that people are worried about cruising.    I was raised that vacations were a gift.    I am in my early 60’s.   My parents were raised during the depression.  There weren’t many vacations.

The absolute furthest thing from my mind is when will I be able to take a vacation.  
It is time to sit back and ponder your life.   You may actually realize that a vacation is at the very bottom of that list.   I am very thankful that my husband and I have taken some unbelievable trips.    We are now sitting back and enjoying all those memories. 
Thanks for listening to my thoughts.  

We feel very fortunate when we get our one cruise vacation a year. It's a luxury for us, not an expectation. I've been confined for a year with vulnerable family members. My outings are to doctor appointments (many) and grocery shopping. Planning and thinking about our next cruise is a welcome diversion.
Different strokes.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 2/6/2021 at 4:30 PM, antsp said:

We have decided not to go on a cruise until mask/face coverings are not required 

my question is would you sail on a cruise were you had to wear a mask/face covering

YES or No answers please

I would give a qualified yes to your question.  My fear is that the cruise lines would be hard pressed to enforce wearing a mask basing this statement on the cruise lines inability to enforce existing prohibitions.  I am referring to saving seats in deck areas, theaters and other venues, etc.  They seem to turn the other cheek in an effort not to offend anyone.  I cannot help but picture a scenario where a passenger refuses to wear a mask or finds some loophole in the carrier's protocol which could lead to a confrontation.  I question  the cruise line disembarking the culprit(s) at the next port or confining that person(s) to a stateroom for the entire voyage.  I just don't see it happening when social media and news videos are rampant with people who just don't socially distance or were masks notwithstanding ordinances mandating such behavior.  

So, if the cruise lines can enforce 100% compliance with mask mandates, my answer would be a probable yes.  If they can't,  pigs will fly before I get on another cruise ship.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Squire5000 said:

I would give a qualified yes to your question.  My fear is that the cruise lines would be hard pressed to enforce wearing a mask basing this statement on the cruise lines inability to enforce existing prohibitions.  I am referring to saving seats in deck areas, theaters and other venues, etc.  They seem to turn the other cheek in an effort not to offend anyone.  I cannot help but picture a scenario where a passenger refuses to wear a mask or finds some loophole in the carrier's protocol which could lead to a confrontation.  I question  the cruise line disembarking the culprit(s) at the next port or confining that person(s) to a stateroom for the entire voyage.  I just don't see it happening when social media and news videos are rampant with people who just don't socially distance or were masks notwithstanding ordinances mandating such behavior.  

So, if the cruise lines can enforce 100% compliance with mask mandates, my answer would be a probable yes.  If they can't,  pigs will fly before I get on another cruise ship.

This would be my worry too.....we have observed in the past that they have been incapable or unwilling of enforcing the rules/behavior codes that they had and would probably throw their hands in the air if a modest group of passengers refused to follow their Covid protocols once on board and at sail......I am sure it could happen too so the Anti-Maskers and/ or Anti-Vaxers could make a point and get some media attention........

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Squire5000 said:

My fear is that the cruise lines would be hard pressed to enforce wearing a mask basing this statement on the cruise lines inability to enforce existing prohibitions.

This is also my top concern because enforcement is done by crew who don’t want to upset anyone which could negatively affect their jobs. Obviously preventing the spread of CV19 is much more serious than chair-hog violators however some of these types of people will pushback against wearing masks onboard when required which is one of my top concerns about resuming cruising.

It’s to be expected that the experience will be diminished until CV19 is managed to become more like other shipboard illnesses. Until then we’ll likely spend more time on our balcony, dine in cabin & watching entertainment on the TV. Although even on a completely booked ship we can find quiet spots to relax which should be easier to find due to a reduced passenger capacity.

I don’t have much faith in any cruise lines ability to enforce their mask & distancing policies but hopefully I’m wrong & will feel safe on our booked late 2021 & early 2022 cruises. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, caribill said:

boy nothin' gets past you, I think you should come out of retirement and assist in the implementation of the rules while on board. 

Yes, if masks were the only concern we wouldn't have a problem wearing them.

We probably won't though, because we're more concerned about getting on a ship and then not being allowed off or being able to get home due to an outbreak onboard...my job wouldn't tolerate that very well.

22 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I wear one 10-12 hours a day essential retail manager. 60yrs old and I had to buy acne cream during the summer months. Can't imagine wearing a mask in the humid Caribbean.

I've worn them for 33 years. They absolutely do not bother me. Spent many years in the burn OR where it's 90 degrees and humid, just like the Caribbean. No big deal.

If a mask is what it takes to get back to "normal" I'm willing to wear one all the time. As it is, if I leave my yard and get out of my car, I mask. 

As I said, it may be as simple as finding one that fits your face. I can't wear shaped ones--they don't fit my face--but pleated ones are great. I have a new one to try this week, and if it fits well, I'll make more like it and pass off all the shaped ones I made. Want some?😉

• Like 3

On 2/6/2021 at 2:30 PM, antsp said:

We have decided not to go on a cruise until mask/face coverings are not required 

my question is would you sail on a cruise were you had to wear a mask/face covering

On 2/6/2021 at 3:50 PM, #1Nanna said:

Yes!!!!! Absolutely!!!!!

On 2/7/2021 at 1:53 PM, edspec said:

No, I will not cruise with a mask.

I am desperate to cruise again.... but I have absolutely NO interest if wearing a mask is required.

23 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Actually that's the rule  here on land as well.  I forgot. The only exception is if it's a bar and grill and you are having a meal at the bar.

Right now in the UK NO bars or restaurants open at all. Some restaurants are doing take away meals buts that’s it. We agree with this. I work in the NHS and have to wear a mask constantly. If masks are required when we eventually cruise then so be it.