Jump to content

Recommended Posts

After reading the description of the NCL Drink Package, it seems to omit specialty coffees and juices.

Is this true?

And if it is ..... what is a caffeine addict to do on an NCL cruise?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, it's true. I've only been on two NCL ships (the Bliss and the Joy), and on the Bliss I had access to the (very good and complimentary) espresso machine in the "studio lounge" (only for those in the single-occupancy studio cabins). But on the Joy I was usually the first one in line every morning at the Starbuck's in the Observation Lounge, which is available t all guests. Of course, at the Starbuck's you have to pay. My impression is that most NCL ships have a Starbuck's.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Empehi said:

After reading the description of the NCL Drink Package, it seems to omit specialty coffees and juices. Is this true? And if it is ..... what is a caffeine addict to do on an NCL cruise?

No specialty coffee or fresh squeezed juices unless you upgrade to the Premium Plus package. And you would have to drink gallons of coffee to make that worth while. 

 

You can drink regular coffee and drink regular juices at any restaurant all day long. You'll have a drip coffee maker in your suite and can arrange for a lot of extra coffee packets. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Empehi said:

After reading the description of the NCL Drink Package, it seems to omit specialty coffees and juices.

Is this true?

And if it is ..... what is a caffeine addict to do on an NCL cruise?

 

Don't forget water as well. The premium beverage package which is also the most expensive beverage package on any fleet doesn't even include bottled water.

Link to post
Share on other sites

at breakfast , lunch or dinner, in addition to a regular cup of coffee, you can order a cappucino or latte for jusr a little extra.     i think  theycharge $2.95 which is much cheaper than starbucks              if the waiter or waitress really likes you, they may forget to charge, especially if you're in a haven,  eat in their designated restaurants, and nicely tip the server. works for us every time.  not a major tip, 5-6 bucks breakfast or lunch, 10 at dinner (even in the main dining room).

 

yeah, i know gratuities are included in the fare, but a little extra goes a long way. i call it the vegas handshake, and no matter where we've traveled, regardless of a language barrier, seems like all over the world si habla $20 bill

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

 

Don't forget water as well. The premium beverage package which is also the most expensive beverage package on any fleet doesn't even include bottled water.

I thought the premium (upgraded) package included bottled water?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BDRebel said:

I thought the premium (upgraded) package included bottled water?

 

That's called the "premium plus" beverage package and yes it does include bottled water for a hefty price of $1,075 per person for a 7 night sailing. Or $243 per person if you have the premium beverage package and upgrade to the premium plus.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally think the coffee in the buffet is pretty good and it’s available any time the buffet is open. There’s no need to pay for a cup of Starbucks or Lavazza IMO. 

 

I think the buffet only serve juice during breakfast. For lunch and dinner, the same machines serve punch and lemonade. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

For me any free coffee on the ship will work.  When we booked I took a look and Baileys and Kailua were on the list so I am good and just guessing that frozen drinks are included as well.  If I have to pay for water that is fine as I will need that to take meds. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

 

Don't forget water as well. The premium beverage package which is also the most expensive beverage package on any fleet doesn't even include bottled water.

Every bar and restaurant can dispense water to you at no charge, and it'll be as good as if not better than bottled water.  Some will dispute that the water from the tap in your bathroom will be but that and the bar/restaurant water is my primary hydration when on the ship and I never had a problem.  I bring one or more quart-size reusable bottles with me (empty upon embarkation) to use.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, hallux said:

Every bar and restaurant can dispense water to you at no charge, and it'll be as good as if not better than bottled water.  Some will dispute that the water from the tap in your bathroom will be but that and the bar/restaurant water is my primary hydration when on the ship and I never had a problem.  I bring one or more quart-size reusable bottles with me (empty upon embarkation) to use.

 

I mean...you can keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better. The reality is that the quality of bottled water is superior to that of tap water onboard a ship. As a matter of fact the last CDC inspection on the Bliss listed 6 violations to the potable water system and the Joy listed 3 violations to the potable water system including not maintaining appropriate chlorine levels.

 

A "premium" beverage package that doesn't even include bottled water isn't so premium imo.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have always found the ship water to be quite good, even from the bathroom sink in our cabins, and i tend to be a bit picky with my water.  Ship water is what i drink 90% of the time when I am on a cruise, and I drink a lot of it.  My wife and I take the stairs instead of elevator, do a lot of walking, and exercise at the gym daily, so we drink a lot of water.  I dont know what the CDC inspection violations referenced above mean in terms of the actual water quality, but I can tell you it tastes good, and never has made me sick or queezy, even after almost 30 cruises. The water plants on ship are high end, and at least match those of most municipal systems.

 

In my experience, NCL has self-serve juice and lemonade always available in the buffet.  It is from concentrate, and is usually better after adding some water, but it is very decent quality.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

As a matter of fact the last CDC inspection on the Bliss listed 6 violations to the potable water system

Did you actually READ those 'violations'?  4 of 6 were simply oversights on logging backflow preventers, unrelated to actual failure of water quality.  The other 2 were unrelated to actual drinking water.

 

But, if seeing something on the report makes you feel better about a choice you've made, so be it... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I would try not to rely on the quality of bottled water as a way of feeling better about anything. 🙂

 

It sounds to me like the sort of thing that is a personal preference, nothing more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2021 at 10:09 AM, Empehi said:

After reading the description of the NCL Drink Package, it seems to omit specialty coffees and juices.

Is this true?

And if it is ..... what is a caffeine addict to do on an NCL cruise?

1. Drink coffee... not specialty coffee

2. Buy the specialty coffee al carte

3. Bring Caffeine pills.

4. Upgrade to he Premium Drink package that does include specialty coffees.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

one more choice.. book a haven suite and have your butler bring you a fresh  pot of coffee every morning.

 

i have him bring  this, a pot of hot water for tea and pastries and croissants. he just brings them in and drops them off. when we get  up, it's all there waiting for us. and if that's not enough, there's a nespresso machine in the suite,

 

who could ask for anything more?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2021 at 7:30 PM, complawyer said:

one more choice.. book a haven suite and have your butler bring you a fresh  pot of coffee every morning.

 

i have him bring  this, a pot of hot water for tea and pastries and croissants. he just brings them in and drops them off. when we get  up, it's all there waiting for us. and if that's not enough, there's a nespresso machine in the suite,

 

who could ask for anything more?

The cheapest Haven room on a 7 day Caribbean sailing is close to $6,000 for 2 people. Most people can't afford that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

my post was designed as another alternative for someone who claims to be a coffeeholic. 

 

if you feel the cheapest haven suite is $6.000,  what is the  price for the club mini-suite?  it may be worth it to upgrade for some people.

 

the difference between staying in haven vs another type of cabin, isnt the room, but the extra amenities attached.

 

if someone wanting to book and inside or oceanview cabin, i agree they probably wouldnt/shouldnt consider a haven.

 

dont think i'm some type of snob or diva because i book the haven, the 1st time we booked one, we goy hooked,  you dont have to wait in line to board, you dont have to wait in line to disembark at the end of your cruise,

 

you dont have to wait in long lines at the buffet, as the have has its own designated bar and restaurant, you dont have to fight pool chair hogs, as haven has its own nice compact pool area, and youre treated like a 1st class guest.

 

i think sometimes its more than ok to splurge a little

 

however,"to each his own"

 

whatever cabin you book, whatever itinerary you choose, i hope you have a great time and Bon Voyage"

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, complawyer said:

my post was designed as another alternative for someone who claims to be a coffeeholic. 

 

if you feel the cheapest haven suite is $6.000,  what is the  price for the club mini-suite?  it may be worth it to upgrade for some people.

 

 

The cheapest Mini-Suite is $2,800. So you're talking about double the price for a Haven suite. Again, many people can't afford $6,000 for 1 week.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad I read this thread to find that bottled water is not part of the 30% off and 5 offers deals. That may have me even rethink going on NCL. Kind of ridiculous to have a beverage package and have to pay for beverages, especially bottled water. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

What are you all doing with that huge amount of water? We've seen a lot of people carrying more water than luggage to the ship. We drink a lot of water, but never miss it on a cruise. Full of water i wouldn't need the beverage pack 😀

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, step78 said:

We've seen a lot of people carrying more water than luggage to the ship

Not on NCL, not recently at least.  The only carry-on beverage allowed is wine at 1-2 bottles per cabin (or person?).

 

1 hour ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Glad I read this thread to find that bottled water is not part of the 30% off and 5 offers deals. That may have me even rethink going on NCL. Kind of ridiculous to have a beverage package and have to pay for beverages, especially bottled water.

A little research goes a long way.  Found this just by browsing the NCL page.  Info on the packages should also be included in the promo details. https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/beverage-packages  The info on the not included items is in the fine print at the bottom of the PDF.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, hallux said:

Not on NCL, not recently at least.  The only carry-on beverage allowed is wine at 1-2 bottles per cabin (or person?).

 

On NCL you can bring as many bottles of wine on as you wish, subject to a corkage fee of course.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...