Mexico could be the new Cruise homeport

seaman11

57 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Interesting, EXCEPT for the hellish ferry ride between Playa del Carmen and Cozumel!!  🤢  I suppose they could use bigger boats for a more stable ride between the two.

I've been on the faster ferry ride on that trip...wasn't hellish at all.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Interesting, EXCEPT for the hellish ferry ride between Playa del Carmen and Cozumel!!  🤢  I suppose they could use bigger boats for a more stable ride between the two.

i guess if you fly into cancun. 

• Thanks 1

I always appreciate innovative thinking. A workable glitch is the current requirement to have a negative test to reenter the USA, but that could be managed. My concern would be the USA initiating a 10 day quarantine upon reentry (like so many other nations) in response to the Cruise industries attempt to side step the CDC. 

image.png.9ca8f49f13c4f7a811dfb1c10b2a8291.png

image.png

10 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I always appreciate innovative thinking. A workable glitch is the current requirement to have a negative test to reenter the USA, but that could be managed. My concern would be the USA initiating a 10 day quarantine upon reentry (like so many other nations) in response to the Cruise industries attempt to side step the CDC. 

image.png.9ca8f49f13c4f7a811dfb1c10b2a8291.png

image.png

That would be up to ppl to do upon return, but as of now there is no mandatory quarantine after returning from mexico. 

Edited by seaman11
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

exactly 🙂

New york/new jersey for a time were telling ppl to quarantine from out of state, however did not really police it, its pretty hard, it was basically going off the honor system.  So even if they did change it to a quarantine I dont see it as a big deal , many of us are retired or work from home, 

• Like 1

I'm old enough to remember when these boards were filled with people saying Mexico was far to dangerous to cruise to (despite violent crime being lower than major US cities) and now....  Funny how times change! 🙂

Edited by pmd98052
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Interesting in that instead of boarding a cruise ship here in the good ole USA one boards

the ship between other in route ports that welcome guests with varying degree of virus

policies.

Caribbean is one market - the west coast (Mexican Riviera) could also be considered -

with one adverse aspect - the drug cartels - which brings up - your return to the USA

may not be so fluid with virus checks but with increased drug/contraband inspections.

23 hours ago, seaman11 said:

https://www.cruisehive.com/will-we-see-cruise-ships-homeport-in-cozumel/46823

I think this would be a great idea, fly there and then cruise.  Sod the CDC. 

Come on Seaman, just accept facts.....when it's time cruises will sail again, until then you just need to relax a little! 😉

1 hour ago, zqvol said:

Having flown into both Cozumel and Cancun, IMO neither has the infrastructure to support cruising from Cozumel, unless it is on one of the luxury lines with fewer than 500 passengers. 

Im assuming you are guessing, well im sure it will be limited capacity on board ships,  Would be interesting to see if they can do it, i had the idea a year ago to start them out of Dominican republic. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Interesting in that instead of boarding a cruise ship here in the good ole USA one boards

the ship between other in route ports that welcome guests with varying degree of virus

policies.

Caribbean is one market - the west coast (Mexican Riviera) could also be considered -

with one adverse aspect - the drug cartels - which brings up - your return to the USA

may not be so fluid with virus checks but with increased drug/contraband inspections.

I dont see any increased drug checks, any more than they have already flying to and from those places.  going on a cruise while there shouldnt make any difference in that regard. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/8/2021 at 12:10 PM, seaman11 said:

I think this would be a great idea, fly there and then cruise.  Sod the CDC. 

3 hours ago, hamrag said:

Come on Seaman, just accept facts.....when it's time cruises will sail again, until then you just need to relax a little! 😉

@seaman11on his way to Cozumel;

Image result for funny boaters gonna boat memes

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Sign me up.  Although I just watched a cruise news update with Ben & David and they said that Carnival, at least is considering a reservation system for all venues on board.  You'd basically have to plan everything in advance.  If all lines follow suit, then I'd pass.  I cruise....eh hem, I mean I used to cruise so I don't have to plan...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, rhblake said:

Does Mexico have the ability to resupply and refuel several cruise ships?

Cruise ships are supplied and provisioned all around the world. How else do you you think a cruise ship can do an around the world cruise...or even a three week cruise?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, rhblake said:

Does Mexico have the ability to resupply and refuel several cruise ships?

With the vast amounts of resorts in the Cancun/Cozumel area, the food/provisions aspect of the resupply wouldn't be a problem.

In terms of refueling and docking - well, that's what infrastructure upgrades are for.  I doubt there's a cruise port in the world that had facilities to dock and resupply mega-ships until they build those facilities.

10 hours ago, Named-Tawny said:

With the vast amounts of resorts in the Cancun/Cozumel area, the food/provisions aspect of the resupply wouldn't be a problem.

In terms of refueling and docking - well, that's what infrastructure upgrades are for.  I doubt there's a cruise port in the world that had facilities to dock and resupply mega-ships until they build those facilities.

My question is: Can they resupply several ships, assume 5 per week, every week with food for approx. 15,000 guests and 5,000 crew? I don't see that happening without significant investment in infrastructure and by the time the infrastructure is in place do you think the cruise lines would continue to use those facilities once Florida opens up again? Maybe.

• Like 1

Greetings from Miami Beach. I will not be surprised if cruise lines chose to leave the US for various foreign ports. Companies are leaving the worst states for business in droves. Mexico is not high on my list of favored places. If leaving the US is an option with many lines, some may end up in ports I like better. My husband and I owned a condo in Paris, and spent extended times all over the world. For example, we sailed from Copenhagen seven times when we were in Germany. So, boarding ships everywhere is not new to me. Once, when departing from Venice, we did not use any of the ship's services. Our hotel and transport to the ship, Oceania's Insignia, were on our own. We took a water taxi to the port, and he took us to a stone platform a few inches above water level, with no railings or  steps up to the dock.  Two huge men standing there reached down and picked me up. A box appeared for my husband.   Best arrival ever!

Mary

5 hours ago, rhblake said:

My question is: Can they resupply several ships, assume 5 per week, every week with food for approx. 15,000 guests and 5,000 crew? I don't see that happening without significant investment in infrastructure and by the time the infrastructure is in place do you think the cruise lines would continue to use those facilities once Florida opens up again? Maybe.

It will never happen