Apex in May

witt's end

Our final payment is due on the 14th for our May Apex cruise that clearly won’t be sailing. The transatlantic on May 1st was cancelled several weeks ago but still no word on this sailing. I would like advice on what we should do about our approx $2,000 non-refundable deposit. My understanding is that we have no option but to either lose it or pay the full amount only to have them refund it to us when they cancel. We are not interested in re-booking this so FCC do not interest us. 

I wonder if the anticipated ‘before Feb 12th’ announcements for the summer Alaska cruises will also include the cancellation of the May Apex?

Is anyone else in this limbo? Thoughts? Thanks.

2 minutes ago, witt's end said:

Our final payment is due on the 14th for our May Apex cruise that clearly won’t be sailing. The transatlantic on May 1st was cancelled several weeks ago but still no word on this sailing. I would like advice on what we should do about our approx $2,000 non-refundable deposit. My understanding is that we have no option but to either lose it or pay the full amount only to have them refund it to us when they cancel. We are not interested in re-booking this so FCC do not interest us. 

I wonder if the anticipated ‘before Feb 12th’ announcements for the summer Alaska cruises will also include the cancellation of the May Apex?

Is anyone else in this limbo? Thoughts? Thanks.

You have $2000 in NRD deposit with them, oh my!  Well it is what it is, I was to be on this cruise as well, just posted on the roll call that we cancelled.  Celebrity knows this ship cannot sail, they need to do the right thing before FD due.  If they do not cancel before FD, you seem to have answered your own question, I am afraid.  You have no interest in re-booking or FCC, though if it were me in this same situation, I would not just give them the $2000, I would at least move it to perhaps a late 2021 or 2022 cruise, things will be better by then.  Good luck with this!!

If you don't want to rebook and the amount really is $2,000 NRD it would be extremely foolish to lose such a large sum of money. It really is ridiculous but I would pay the balance and wait for cancellation. $2,000 is the value of a 1 week caribbean cruise for two. I would ask if you can get an extension on the 

final pay date and wait until the very last minute.

Edited by kwokpot

36 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

If you don't want to rebook and the amount really is $2,000 NRD it would be extremely foolish to lose such a large sum of money. It really is ridiculous but I would pay the balance and wait for cancellation. $2,000 is the value of a 1 week caribbean cruise for two. I would ask if you can get an extension on the 

final pay date and wait until the very last minute.

I agree, losing this would be foolish. The booking is more than one suite. Thank you for the suggestion to push the final pay date. I will mention that to our TA when she also negotiates the reduced rate that is currently advertised for the sailing. Hopefully, this will be included in the anticipated announcement later this week.

Just so you have all the information.  If you were to move the reservations to a sailing before 5/4/2022 then there should be no penalty (waived due to CwC program).   However if you move or cancel the reservations in the future you would still have the $100 pp penalty.  Of course if you have no plans to sail in the future the only recourse would be to pay final payment and pray they really do cancel.

Good chance the cruise will be cancelled

I would not jump the gun and lose a big NR deposit. Might be best to make final payment. Painful!

May is not that far off so likely they will still be in business by the time they cancel. If they cancel you should get your full dep back..not fcc. 

We jumped too soon way back when and sit holding a large fcc we hope we may use some day.

Good luck!

9 minutes ago, witt's end said:

It was fake news - our TA sent the email to us in error. She had MANY who were booked on Alaska.

Ours will not likely sail and we will not be on it even if it does.

sigh

We have to cancel by Sunday. I am so hoping Celebrity will cancel tomorrow. I love this itinerary and am so sorry that we can't go. They aren't offering it next year.