Around the world in Photos

Gettingwarmer

Our day in Barcelona, another zoo, the fabulous market, tapas, tapas & more tapas before a quick stop at El Cortes Ingles en route back to the ship. Good job we have a late departure today.

IMG_0218.JPG

IMG_0567.JPG

Xmas 2011 (163).JPG

Xmas 2011 (164).JPG

Xmas 2011 (175).JPG

Xmas 2011 (176).JPG

Xmas 2011 (179).JPG

Xmas 2011 (190).JPG

Xmas 2011 (192).JPG

Xmas 2011 (193).JPG

Xmas 2011 (202).JPG

Xmas 2011 (203).JPG

Xmas 2011 (204).JPG

IMG_0222.JPG

Xmas 2011 (195).JPG

Xmas 2011 (196).JPG

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 9

4 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

These are lovely pictures.

I’ve never rated Barcelona very much - obviously I haven’t been looking in the right places 🙄. I always think it’s very crowded.

We tend to walk along the boardwalk & find a nice fishy lunch somewhere.

The shuttle bus is a bit of a pain - imo.  We once walked over that high loopy bridge - eek!  We weren’t the only ones - lots of cruisers on other lines, locals I suppose, coming in the opposite direction wheeling their suitcases.  Imagine shelling out for a cruise & not even getting the cheap public bus to the port

We once did the same as you, strolled the boardwalk and found a nice restaurant near the beach. It was a simple, uncomplicated pleasant day ashore.

Las Ramblas has lost some of its appeal for me, it just seems so "touristy" these days. However, there's more than enough in the city to keep us occupied despite many previous visits and I still hope to go back one day.

A lot of the photos I've posted today were from our pre-parent days, in particular one memorable New Year's Eve when we bought a T10 metro ticket and took the underground to various places seeing the sights and having lots of tapas and drinks.

These days we're now seeing all these ports through our son's eyes and we're always planning our days with him in mind so we're still finding new attractions most places we go. We were supposed to go last year and are scheduled to go this year. He wants to go to the zoo again at the moment but even if that changes I'm confident that we'll find something else that he likes (if we get there, not that I think we will).

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, DamianG said:

Our day in Barcelona, another zoo, the fabulous market, tapas, tapas & more tapas before a quick stop at El Cortes Ingles en route back to the ship. Good job we have a late departure today.

IMG_0218.JPG

IMG_0567.JPG

Xmas 2011 (163).JPG

Xmas 2011 (164).JPG

Xmas 2011 (175).JPG

Xmas 2011 (176).JPG

Xmas 2011 (179).JPG

Xmas 2011 (190).JPG

Xmas 2011 (192).JPG

Xmas 2011 (193).JPG

Xmas 2011 (202).JPG

Xmas 2011 (203).JPG

Xmas 2011 (204).JPG

IMG_0222.JPG

Xmas 2011 (195).JPG

Xmas 2011 (196).JPG

I love that photo of your wife and son Damian. The way they're looking at each other is just so beautiful.

Avril

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Denarius said:

On the way back to the ship in Barcelona, I always stop off at the Placa Reial - perhaps the city's most perfect square, lamposts by Gaudi - for a beer at Bar Glaciar, which has a big selection of bottled beers.

IMG_0085.JPG

I love the lamposts. We have stopped  here as well. I am always taking pictures of lamps in the places I visit

I’ve never been there

It looks beautiful

Maybe one day (and I’ll just have to grin & bear it wrt the tendering)

I’ll look forward to Livorno tomorrow and getting reacquainted with those ferries decorated with Sylvester & Tweetie Pie in huge glorious technicolour 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

I’ve never been there

It looks beautiful

Maybe one day (and I’ll just have to grin & bear it wrt the tendering)

I’ll look forward to Livorno tomorrow and getting reacquainted with those ferries decorated with Sylvester & Tweetie Pie in huge glorious technicolour 

It's a lovely place to go walk about and with the train station it is easy to get to other towns. The tendering is not too bad, here is a picture showing the ships from shore.

2073952907_IMG_3005(2020_06_2715_01_18UTC).thumb.JPG.2ffd9d2d38e3a0ca3ef6c7297416e075.JPG 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I love that photo of your wife and son Damian. The way they're looking at each other is just so beautiful.

Avril

Thanks Avril, the cheeky sausage had just taken the potatoes we were supposed to be sharing all for himself.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

It's a lovely place to go walk about and with the train station it is easy to get to other towns. The tendering is not too bad, here is a picture showing the ships from shore.

2073952907_IMG_3005(2020_06_2715_01_18UTC).thumb.JPG.2ffd9d2d38e3a0ca3ef6c7297416e075.JPG 

Villefranche is a beautiful little town and yes, it is not a particularly lengthy tender - unless the infamous wind along that coastline gets up. We visited on Oriana some years ago and on the return tender early afternoon, we were turned back to the shore as it had become too rough to land beside the ship. Oriana was then ordered out of the bay by the Harbour Master because she was dragging her anchor. We eventually got back on board about 10pm that night...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

I can’t wait to go to Barcelona and see all the Gaudi stuff 😊

Parc Guell is great.  Pretty easy to DIY as well.  Metro from the bottom of La Rambla, followed by about a 20 minute walk.  Or you can get a bus from the big Place de Catalunya at the top of La Rambla which stops directly outside the entrance to the Park.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I was amazed to see small colourful parrots nesting in trees in the park.

Avril

Just keep your headache tablets well away from them Avril .

If they see them then Parrots eat em all :classic_unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, kalos said:

Just keep your headache tablets well away from them Avril .

If they see them then Parrots eat em all :classic_unsure:

I must be slipping Kalos, I read it 6 times before the penny dropped. I think I'm still recovering from your evaporated milk🤣

Avril

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

I can’t wait to go to Barcelona and see all the Gaudi stuff 😊

It is a lovely city Sue.

We have stayed in 3 different hotels pre cruise on Las Ramblas which were pricey but great location for seeing the city.

There is even a McDonald's on Las Ramblas.

The cruise terminals are a 5 minute taxi ride or 20 minutes walk to the bottom of Las Ramblas.

• Like 1