BREAKING: MSC reveals phased restart cruisedates!

Maikell

MSC Cruises setup sailing Europe, ships start cruising in a phased manner by the summer season 2021.

A look at the first sailing of each MSC Cruiseship who starts and get back into service (only Europe sailings and only Schengen guests can apply).

The first ship, MSC Grandiosa, already did a kickoff of this restart.

Other ships by MSC cruises are planned for Asia, the UK or the USA later on, expected to reveal after the healthplan of MSC cruises will be accepted by port of call countrys.

MSC Fantasia
Capacity at 100%: 3,300
Date: April 29, 2021
Homeport: Genoa
Length: 3 nights
Itinerary: Barcelona and Marseille   

MSC Grandiosa
Capacity at 100%: 4,888
Date: Since January 24, 2021
Length: 7 nights
Itinerary: Civitavecchia, Naples, Palermo and Valletta

MSC Lirica  
Capacity at 100%: 1,560
Date: April 2, 2021
Homeport: Venice
Length: 6 nights
Itinerary: Bari, Dubrovnik, Kotor, Split and Rijeka

MSC Magnifica
Capacity at 100%: 2,550
Date: May 1, 2021
Length: 10 nights
Itinerary: Livorno, Civitavecchia, Messina, Valletta, Piraeus and Katakolon

MSC Musica
Date: April 30, 2021
Length: 3 nights
Itinerary: Marseille and Barcelona  

MSC Opera 
Capacity at 100%: 1,712
Date: March 27, 2021
Homeport: Trieste
Itinerary: Zadar, Split, Kotor, Corfu and Bari

MSC Poesia
Date: May 2, 2021
Itinerary: Bari, Mykonos, Piraeus and Katakolon

MSC Seashore
Capacity at 100%: 4,560
Date: August 1, 2021
Homeport: Civitavecchia to Genoa
Itinerary: Naples, Messina, Valletta, Barcelona and Marseille

MSC Seaside
Capacity at 100%: 4,140
Date: April 11, 2021
Homeport: Lisbon to Genoa
Itinerary: Cádiz, Barcelona, Genoa and Marseille

MSC Seaview
Date: March 29, 2021
Length: 5 nights
Itinerary: Civitavecchia, Valencia and Marseille

MSC Sinfonia
Capacity at 100%: 1,554
Date: April 24, 2021
Itinerary: Kotor, Sarande, Mykonos, Santorini and Bari

MSC Splendida
Capacity at 100%: 3,300
Date: April 20, 2021
Homeport: Genoa to Kiel
Length: 12 nights
Itinerary: Marseille, Barcelona, Casablanca, Lisbon, La Coruña and Rotterdam

MSC Virtuosa
Capacity at 100%: 4,888
Date: April 16, 2021
Length: 4 nights
Itinerary: Ajaccio, Barcelona and Marseille

Edited by Maikell
  • Like 2

Maikell ... The Magnifica start up appears to be at odds with this MSC Tweet on 4th February, added by Ate on a thread by Bermuda Bound.

• 2,728 posts
  • July 18, 2016
  •  

MSC announced today that they pushed Magnifica restart out to May 3, 2021.  All cruises from February 14 to then are being cancelled.

MSC CRUISES AIMS TO RESTART CRUISES TO GREECE BY EASTER     Tweet 04/02/2021

Company is working closely with Greek Ministry of Tourism and other relevant local authorities to ensure reopening of local tourist services in time for the Easter holiday season

Geneva, Switzerland, 4 February 2021 – MSC Cruises announced today that it is working closely with the Greek Ministry of Tourism and other relevant authorities for the reopening of local tourist services in time to serve cruise passengers visiting Greece starting with the upcoming Easter holiday period.

In related news, the Company also announced that it is cancelling all of MSC Magnifica’s scheduled cruises through to 29 April. The ship was originally scheduled to return to sea starting on 14 February with a Greece-bound itinerary. MSC Magnifica will thus be replaced for voyages to the Eastern Mediterranean, including Greece, during the Easter period and throughout the summer season.

Guests booked on MSC Magnifica through to 29 April will be offered the option to rebook their MSC Cruises holiday at sea on one of the line’s other ships due to call Greece or on its flagship MSC Grandiosa, which is currently at sea in the Western Mediterranean. Alternatively, guests will receive compensation for their cancelled cruise that will vary depending on the market.

http://www.mscpressarea.com/en_INT/press-releases/3799

Guys,

Don't let the cheerleaders get you excited. The virus has been winning big, and it will take a long time to get it under control.

IMO, March-May is too soon in Europe. There is a shortage of vaccine. Don't expect all seniors to be vax till early summer. Then, its the turn of the others adults and teens.

Just in time for the booster shoot for the South African variant. BTW, the J&J and Novavax vaccines are only 50-60% effective against the SA variant.

Moreover, cruising is a leisure activity. IMHO, the only way we can get back to cruising (with masks, dsitancing, tests) is to get the pandemic under control in the areas of your itinerary.

What are the chances of cruising resuming at 100% capacity in May? Certainly, I don't have a guess of when we get back to 'normal' cruising? Right now, the virus is in control.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/04/dr-fauci-on-why-its-important-to-wear-a-mask-after-getting-your-covid-vaccine-.html?__twitter_impression=true&recirc=taboolainternal

FYI, I'm booked for October for Mediterranean on MSC. I won't be going if we still need to test before/after the flights, and quarantine on the return.

• Like 1

HV ... I somehow doubt that MSC would run at 100% capacity, Grandiosa's current sailing is nowhere near that, and looking at the current videos from someone who is onboard this week it is a case of spot the other passengers!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sidari said:

Maikell ... The Magnifica start up appears to be at odds with this MSC Tweet on 4th February, added by Ate on a thread by Bermuda Bound.

• 2,728 posts
  • July 18, 2016

•  

MSC announced today that they pushed Magnifica restart out to May 3, 2021.  All cruises from February 14 to then are being cancelled.

MSC CRUISES AIMS TO RESTART CRUISES TO GREECE BY EASTER     Tweet 04/02/2021

Company is working closely with Greek Ministry of Tourism and other relevant local authorities to ensure reopening of local tourist services in time for the Easter holiday season

Geneva, Switzerland, 4 February 2021 – MSC Cruises announced today that it is working closely with the Greek Ministry of Tourism and other relevant authorities for the reopening of local tourist services in time to serve cruise passengers visiting Greece starting with the upcoming Easter holiday period.

In related news, the Company also announced that it is cancelling all of MSC Magnifica’s scheduled cruises through to 29 April. The ship was originally scheduled to return to sea starting on 14 February with a Greece-bound itinerary. MSC Magnifica will thus be replaced for voyages to the Eastern Mediterranean, including Greece, during the Easter period and throughout the summer season.

Guests booked on MSC Magnifica through to 29 April will be offered the option to rebook their MSC Cruises holiday at sea on one of the line’s other ships due to call Greece or on its flagship MSC Grandiosa, which is currently at sea in the Western Mediterranean. Alternatively, guests will receive compensation for their cancelled cruise that will vary depending on the market.

http://www.mscpressarea.com/en_INT/press-releases/3799

This is just a copy/paste, it looks like they may have booked progress with the greek ministry maybe. We have to stay tuned if this dates will make it to retstart. At least it is a start...

Who knows how far they are to make agreements with the governments of countries where they want to sail. In the meantime, news follows up that MSC is also negotiating with Mexico by invitation. We will see what rolls out. For sure they don't run 100% capacity and the 'save bubble' will stay present if they restart this summer. If needed, they will build off this bubble, like they mentioned on there website.

Edited by Maikell

2 hours ago, Maikell said:

This is just a copy/paste, it looks like they may have booked progress with the greek ministry maybe. We have to stay tuned if this dates will make it to retstart. At least it is a start...

Who knows how far they are to make agreements with the governments of countries where they want to sail. In the meantime, news follows up that MSC is also negotiating with Mexico by invitation. We will see what rolls out. For sure they don't run 100% capacity and the 'save bubble' will stay present if they restart this summer. If needed, they will build off this bubble, like they mentioned on there website.

I have been following this part.  Apparently the mayor of Cozumel reached out to MSC to homeport there for the time being.  I have a cruise scheduled on the Meriviglia out of Miami in July and I am wondering if they will move all the Caribbean ships there or only a few, based on what Cozumel can handle (which I do not know the answer to).  I would be okay flying to Cozumel to cruise as it is not a bad flight from my part of the East Coast.  Hopefully we hear something on this as I am not hopeful about actually sailing from Miami at this point.

3 hours ago, cellfree said:

Well of course "no cruises = no deaths" - you then would go on to say "no driving - no deaths" - "no surgery = no deaths" - "no flying = no deaths" - and on and on and on?!

Come on now, you are only confusing ‘ol smiley with such a splendid display of logic. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, EllaDuChien said:

Apparently the mayor of Cozumel reached out to MSC to homeport there for the time being. 

That's some thinking "outside of the box"!  Cozumel certainly has sufficient piers and space on the piers for home port services that would be required.  Terminal facilities?  Get rid of some of the vendors in some of buildings that some of the piers funnel people into, there could be adequate space for those buildings to be used as terminals.  There are probably sufficient vendors to supply the commodities that the ships would require.  (But, would the quality of some of the items be able to meet the cruise line's standard?)  

Airport's ability to handle a ship load of cruise guests?  No idea; have not seen their airport.  

Thanks for posting this EllaDuChien!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, cellfree said:

Well of course "no cruises = no deaths" - you then would go on to say "no driving - no deaths" - "no surgery = no deaths" - "no flying = no deaths" - and on and on and on?!

That one doesn't work but I get the point...just being a smrt ass.

Any way, a lot of countries are implementing quarantine when you return or in Canada's case, a 3 day stay in a hotel at a low time price of $2000 pp until your arrival covid test proves to be negative.  For that, I could take another YC cruise...  such a deterant.

For those in Europe, then let us know what we are missing -- so jealous.

1 hour ago, xcell said:

That one doesn't work but I get the point...just being a smrt ass.

Any way, a lot of countries are implementing quarantine when you return or in Canada's case, a 3 day stay in a hotel at a low time price of $2000 pp until your arrival covid test proves to be negative.  For that, I could take another YC cruise...  such a deterant.

For those in Europe, then let us know what we are missing -- so jealous.

Xcell ... From the UK point of view nothing, we are not allowed to travel within our own Country and cannot holiday anywhere outside of or Inside the UK. There is now a Red zone and travellers from Countries within it will have to have it seems 3 tests after arriving and will be Quarantined at their own expense for around 10 days, anyone found to be coming into the Country via others from the Red zone including UK Nationals could also face a maximum 10 year jail term.

How I would like to be on the cheerleader part of the table... I'm not... With my own Portugal being a enormous disgrace these days, the remaining Europe being just a little bit better, the vaccination process so delayed as it is, and most importantly, the process to find an actual effective cure for the disease just at the very beginning... I seriously doubt a cruise returning for April/May... Maybe by August/September we might to see some tentative cruises like the ones on the Grandiosa happening here and there... Till then let us hope that this crisis goes as fast as it can go...

2 hours ago, sidari said:

Xcell ... From the UK point of view nothing, we are not allowed to travel within our own Country and cannot holiday anywhere outside of or Inside the UK. There is now a Red zone and travellers from Countries within it will have to have it seems 3 tests after arriving and will be Quarantined at their own expense for around 10 days, anyone found to be coming into the Country via others from the Red zone including UK Nationals could also face a maximum 10 year jail term.

Sorry to hear that. But inevitable. 

That's why the idea that there will be cruises in May is ludicrous. 🙄

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/covid-19-european-union-agrees-dark-red-zones-stricter-travel-14070496

Heck. I have booked a cruise in October out of Marseille. It's looks so uncertain. I'm not booking a plane ticket until summer. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, EllaDuChien said:

I have been following this part.  Apparently the mayor of Cozumel reached out to MSC to homeport there for the time being.  I have a cruise scheduled on the Meriviglia out of Miami in July and I am wondering if they will move all the Caribbean ships there or only a few, based on what Cozumel can handle (which I do not know the answer to).  I would be okay flying to Cozumel to cruise as it is not a bad flight from my part of the East Coast.  Hopefully we hear something on this as I am not hopeful about actually sailing from Miami at this point.

Of course you then have to deal with the 'negative test within 3 days of your flight home' requirement and the unpleasant possibility of being in quarantined in Cozumel for a couple of weeks should you test positive.

On 2/11/2021 at 3:27 PM, HappyInVan said:

Sorry to hear that. But inevitable. 

That's why the idea that there will be cruises in May is ludicrous. 🙄

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/covid-19-european-union-agrees-dark-red-zones-stricter-travel-14070496

Heck. I have booked a cruise in October out of Marseille. It's looks so uncertain. I'm not booking a plane ticket until summer. 

You do know Grandiosa is already sailing? The UK does have stringent measures right now, but they've also vaccinated 15 million people, and the vulnerable groups are on track to all be done by May (conservative estimate). Now, that's not going to lead to every restriction being lifted, but it could mean going back to tier 1 and tier 2 levels, which did permit holidays to quite a range of locations.

The bigger question mark is whether Europe would now let UK travellers in with proof of vaccination - both Spain and Greece are pushing for that in time for Summer, but their own vaccination programmes are slower. MSC is also heavily marketing the planned Southampton departures in May/June/July, so they may count on that.

I think the originally posted list is too ambitious, but it's not wildly impossible for them to bring back another ship or two for May.  

On 2/11/2021 at 1:15 PM, Toofarfromthesea said:

Of course you then have to deal with the 'negative test within 3 days of your flight home' requirement and the unpleasant possibility of being in quarantined in Cozumel for a couple of weeks should you test positive.

Agreed. All part of the decisions that folks will have to make if this rumor becomes reality. For me, I’ve already had it but I know plenty of others will need to factor in all of that.

2 hours ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

You do know Grandiosa is already sailing? The UK does have stringent measures right now, but they've also vaccinated 15 million people, and the vulnerable groups are on track to all be done by May (conservative estimate). Now, that's not going to lead to every restriction being lifted, but it could mean going back to tier 1 and tier 2 levels, which did permit holidays to quite a range of locations.

Unfortunately, covid has no intention of being vanquished. Indeed, its only purpose in life is to multiple. It does that by becoming more infectious, overcoming resistance...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-56024103

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/new-bristol-variant-may-infect-people-who-have-been-vaccinated-130712663.html

On 2/10/2021 at 2:57 PM, Maikell said:

MSC Seaside
Date: April 11, 2021
Homeport: Lisbon to Genoa
Itinerary: Cádiz, Barcelona, Genoa and Marseille

Lisbon - Genoa was canceled today.

The new restart date for Seaside is now April 17th, 2021.