NCL is making prices 50% higher due to Corona

kransfontein

We wanted to book a cruise again form our FCC but we found out that, eventhough we had a 25% extra, we still have to pay about 600 euro's extra for the same cruise as we had in 2020.  

The cruiseadvisor said that it is true that they have lifted the prices because they still want to earn money from you.

So, we are beïng scammed! We really wanted to take our first cruise, and find it reasonable if we had to pay a little bit more, but this is really too mucht. Escpecially because the give a discount of 25% an when you book again an discount, but when you first uplift the prices with 50% is not a worthy to a good company.

Now we will try to receive our money. That probally will be another long road to take....

Conny Dijkstra

The Netherland.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to a reality that most knew about long ago. Trick people into accepting a 25% FCC then raise the prices 50%. Everyone should have realized this would happen .... why I grabbed my cash and ran. This has already been discussed extensively. People who chose a FCC over a cash refund chose poorly. Sad truth ..... You will never get your money back .

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 11

34 minutes ago, Trimone said:

Hi Conny, contact your original payment source, credit card, show them the proof, like for like, and request a chargeback 

They accepted the terms of the FCC. If you could just change your mind from a FCC back to a cash refund later if you don’t like it everyone would have went that route. Terms and conditions were accepted by the customer . 

• Like 2

Just now, All-ready2cruise said:

@tallnthensome this situation may be different since OP is from Europe.  I'm not really sure but @Trimone probably has more experience in this area. 

Possibly but not liking the value of your FCC down the road when we all know prices can rise daily doesn’t seem to be a good excuse for a chargeback. It may work but NCL can easily dispute that with proof of the FCC acceptance .

• Like 1

Just now, tallnthensome said:

Possibly but not liking the value of your FCC down the road when we all know prices can rise daily doesn’t seem to be a good excuse for a chargeback. It may work but NCL can easily dispute that with proof of the FCC acceptance .

I agree, but, how they handle this type of thing could be different.  What I don't understand is, how do people think that the cruise lines are going to survive if they don't raise the prices, at least short term.  None of the ships have been making any money. Can any business survive under these conditions?  

But, yes, if you don't like the prices, don't book the cruise, in which case, you lose all of your money wrapped up in your FCC, at least here, anyway. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

I agree, but, how they handle this type of thing could be different.  What I don't understand is, how do people think that the cruise lines are going to survive if they don't raise the prices, at least short term.  None of the ships have been making any money. Can any business survive under these conditions?  

But, yes, if you don't like the prices, don't book the cruise, in which case, you lose all of your money wrapped up in your FCC, at least here, anyway. 

Because people want "something for nothing".....  Nobody would complain if they lowered the price!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Airlines haven't raised fares and they're losing a ton of money. As a matter of fact, most airlines even flew at reduced capacity for months (some still do now). Yet airline fares are dirt cheap. They're not doubling their fares to make up for the pandemic.

While all cruise lines have raised prices, none have raised them as much as NCL.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Because people want "something for nothing".....  Nobody would complain if they lowered the price!

While I get what you're going for, I'd bet that you're wrong. CC is full of people who can, will, and do complain about every aspect of a topic.

Heck, there are people who "took their money an ran", but couldn't even run past Cruise Critic.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Airlines haven't raised fares and they're losing a ton of money. As a matter of fact, most airlines even flew at reduced capacity for months (some still do now). Yet airline fares are dirt cheap. They're not doubling their fares to make up for the pandemic.

While all cruise lines have raised prices, none have raised them as much as NCL.

Not a fair comparison. The airlines are still flying, albeit less than before. By contrast, the major cruise lines haven't sailed from a US port in nearly a year. Not once. And barely any in Europe, apart from MSC.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

However, airlines were/are still flying! Cruise lines are not cruising at all, nor have they since March 2020 and they are having to return crew members back to their homes again.  That cost is on the cruise lines, no one else. 

• Like 3

Just now, DCGuy64 said:

Not a fair comparison. The airlines are still flying, albeit less than before. By contrast, the major cruise lines haven't sailed from a US port in nearly a year. Not once. And barely any in Europe, apart from MSC.

Correct, and airlines have the same operating costs as before (maybe even higher) whereas cruise lines have been able to cut a ton of expenses. For example, Delta lost $15 billion in 2020. How much did NCL lose? A fraction of that.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

1 minute ago, All-ready2cruise said:

However, airlines were/are still flying! Cruise lines are not cruising at all, nor have they since March 2020 and they are having to return crew members back to their homes again.  That cost is on the cruise lines, no one else. 

Well, the airlines got $25 billion in the Spring of 2019 and $15 billion allocated recently under U.S. programs.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Correct, and airlines have the same operating costs as before (maybe even higher) whereas cruise lines have been able to cut a ton of expenses. For example, Delta lost $15 billion in 2020. How much did NCL lose? A fraction of that.

No, they don't have the same operating costs, because fewer flights means less paid to employees, less fuel used, etc. Look, let's cut to the chase: you're never going to convince me that an operating business loses as much as an idled one. Don't go there.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Formula280SS said:

Well, the airlines got $25 billion in the Spring of 2019 and $15 billion allocated recently under U.S. programs.

The airlines didn't get that money. The money went to ensure employees weren't furloughed. If cruise lines employed American employees on their ships they'd also get assistance as most other industries have.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Formula280SS said:

Exactly, and what kind of bailout did the cruise lines get? My point exactly, a big, fat $0. I bet the cruise lines would be thrilled to be able to operate at the reduced capacity of the airline industry, along with a hefty $billion shot in the arm from Uncle Sam.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Capitan Obvious said:

While I get what you're going for, I'd bet that you're wrong. CC is full of people who can, will, and do complain about every aspect of a topic.

Heck, there are people who "took their money an ran", but couldn't even run past Cruise Critic.

So, which people complained about "lowering the price"?  Or was it that they complained that the price wasn't lowered enough?  LOL!

1 minute ago, DCGuy64 said:

No, they don't have the same operating costs, because fewer flights means less paid to employees, less fuel used, etc. Look, let's cut to the chase: you're never going to convince me that an operating business loses as much as an idled one. Don't go there.

But it's exactly what the numbers show. An operating business has many operating expenses an idle business does not.

Delta lost $15 billion in 2020. Carnival, the largest cruise lines in the world...only lost $10 billion in 2020.

That's how a business that is operating loses more money than a business that is idle. It's basic arithmetic.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DCGuy64 said:

Exactly, and what kind of bailout did the cruise lines get? My point exactly, a big, fat $0. I bet the cruise lines would be thrilled to be able to operate at the reduced capacity of the airline industry, along with a hefty $billion shot in the arm from Uncle Sam.

If the cruise lines didn't outsource a vast majority of their jobs on their ships to third world countries and incorporate their corporations in other countries to avoid paying taxes then they probably would have gotten some help from OUR tax dollars. Why should a corporation that skirts hiring US employees and paying US taxes receive US tax dollars?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DaCruiseBug said:

But it's exactly what the numbers show. An operating business has many operating expenses an idle business does not.

Delta lost $15 billion in 2020. Carnival, the largest cruise lines in the world...only lost $10 billion in 2020.

That's how a business that is operating loses more money than a business that is idle. It's basic arithmetic.

Not true, but you're convinced you're right, and I can't change that. I'll just show your comments to my friend who owns a restaurant that closed due to COVID and tell him the guy down the road whose place is still open is in worse shape than he is. I'm sure he'll take your side. I'm done with this convo. Have a good one. ☺️

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

The airlines didn't get that money. The money went to ensure employees weren't furloughed. If cruise lines employed American employees on their ships they'd also get assistance as most other industries have.

Of course they did.

And, a lot more than what most know.  For example, regarding the Spring 2019 $25 billion was really quite a bit more ~

"The industry got $25 billion in payroll support, largely in the form of grants, and another $25 billion in loans, not to mention a subsequent $10 billion in both grants and loans for cargo airlines and industry contractors."

• Like 3