Key West Replacement

W283386

Booked a five day cruise that included stops in Key West and Cozumel.  I know that voters in Key West voted to ban large cruise ships from docking.  If all legal challenges fail any idea what port might replace Key West?  I did notice that all the shore excursions available in Key West did fall off my Cruise Planner but the Cozumel ones are still showing. 

19 minutes ago, W283386 said:

Booked a five day cruise that included stops in Key West and Cozumel.  I know that voters in Key West voted to ban large cruise ships from docking.  If all legal challenges fail any idea what port might replace Key West?  I did notice that all the shore excursions available in Key West did fall off my Cruise Planner but the Cozumel ones are still showing. 

I would think Labadee?  There are lots of islands to take the place of Key West.

Fingers crossed, in the next few years, it could be Havana again, for the M-class anyway. It's so convenient to the Gulf Coast ports, as well as Tampa/FLL / Miami

My opinion only, please don't flag as "political" , that's not my intention. 

I have a 21 day from Tampa in Feb. 2022. 

First wish is that we even go, second wish is that they sub Havana for KW. 

When cruising to Cuba got banned, they were already upgrading the port / pier area in anticipation of increased tourism.   

Havana?  Before cruise to Havana from the US  were stopped there was no way the port in Havana could handle something as big as an M-class ship.  I know that the Cuban government had plans to expand the port facilities but I don't know if that actually happened once US to Cuba visits were stopped again.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Click said:

Havana?  Before cruise to Havana from the US  were stopped there was no way the port in Havana could handle something as big as an M-class ship.  I know that the Cuban government had plans to expand the port facilities but I don't know if that actually happened once US to Cuba visits were stopped again.

NCL Sun had stops there with only about 200 less passengers.....I'd say it is possible....

The trick will be how they balance the other ports if there isn't a direct replacement.  I could see more Honduras/Belize being added since they're not far out of the way for most Westerns.

IF it comes to that.  I'll have to find out what the scoop is on the lawsuits when I'm in Key West next.

6 hours ago, Mr. Click said:

Not sure they have approved a vaccine yet for Cuba.

8 hours ago, W283386 said:

Probably a nice relaxing day at sea

7 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

NCL Sun had stops there with only about 200 less passengers.....I'd say it is possible....

We were that with Azamara and with one other small ship in the port facilities were crowded.  I know they were planning on making adajcent abandon pier into a cruise ship pier but I doubt that is being pushed now.  Between the no travel ban the last guy in the oval office started again and COVID I don't see travel opening up there anytime soon.

17 hours ago, lobsternight said:

I believe Cuba is in stage 3 trials developing their own vaccine along with a  company in Iran

Cuba has been developing their own vaccines for many diseases for years and has actually been quite successful at it.