Jump to content

Royal Caribbean Group to Vaccinate Crewmembers Prior to Return to Service


Recommended Posts

New article on Cruise Critic:

Royal Caribbean Group to Vaccinate Crewmembers Prior to Return to Service

"The health of our crew and guests remains our number one priority," Royal Caribbean Group said in a statement. "At this point in our planning, based on science and the guidance of our experts, we are shifting from a strategy based primarily on protocols to one that is based on vaccines, supported by protocols."

 

Since Azamara said they would continue to follow RCG Healthy Sail Panel rules, I guess we can expect them to adopt this too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, CincyAL said:

Yes-I know many Americans over 80 still waiting for their shots.  Nice policy in THEORY.

Really?  Yikes. We are doing very well here and all the most vulnerable have been done now and moving onto others. Of course it is still very dependent upon what happens elsewhere in the world. It's not a local issue, but a global one.

 

I'm pleased to hear that RCG have plans in place for vaccinating their crew, but boy, it's a huge logistical task, given that many areas around the world are still in lockdown. I've a cruise in October and am very doubtful it will go ahead and am managing my expectations. Protocols fill me with negatives I have to say. 

 

Phil 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Really?  Yikes. We are doing very well here and all the most vulnerable have been done now and moving onto others. Of course it is still very dependent upon what happens elsewhere in the world. It's not a local issue, but a global one.

 

I'm pleased to hear that RCG have plans in place for vaccinating their crew, but boy, it's a huge logistical task, given that many areas around the world are still in lockdown. I've a cruise in October and am very doubtful it will go ahead and am managing my expectations. Protocols fill me with negatives I have to say. 

 

Phil 

Yes even the 65-70 age group and all vulnerable are in the group being completed in Scotland this week and next.  The managing of the supply distribution by the government and the military taking a key role in logistics really has helped.  No one can use money to jump the queue which is very fair

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, CincyAL said:

Yes-I know many Americans over 80 still waiting for their shots.  Nice policy in THEORY.

Yes, in theory it is. But there are an awful lot of young crew members and not seeing how they would accomplish this before fall.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Where are they planning to get their vaccines?  I hope not from the limited American supply.  After all, crew members can hardly be called a member of a critical group such as health care workers or public safety personnel.

 

DON

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Where are they planning to get their vaccines?  I hope not from the limited American supply.  After all, crew members can hardly be called a member of a critical group such as health care workers or public safety personnel.

 

DON

If crew can not get vaccine then Thry can not work. No,work..no money..no money they lose their homes.so yes they are a critical group.their lives are at stake,

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, ellbon said:

If crew can not get vaccine then Thry can not work. No,work..no money..no money they lose their homes.so yes they are a critical group.their lives are at stake,

Unfortunately many are in that category and certainly our government does not see leisure or travel as key workers. Teachers and firefighters will be the first to be prioritised after the 9 age and health groups are finished. It’s so hard world wide but certainly our government will do all it can to discourage leisure travel in 2021 so aren’t going to help and as the ships are in the UK it will sadly impact them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, uktog said:

Yes even the 65-70 age group and all vulnerable are in the group being completed in Scotland this week and next.  The managing of the supply distribution by the government and the military taking a key role in logistics really has helped.  No one can use money to jump the queue which is very fair

Apparently 95% of the over 80’s have been vaccinated in UK, BUT, that’s only 1st dose. 15m in UK have had their first dose, but almost all need their 2nd dose.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

Apparently 95% of the over 80’s have been vaccinated in UK, BUT, that’s only 1st dose. 15m in UK have had their first dose, but almost all need their 2nd dose.

I see the WHO have backed the U.K. in saying delaying the second dose of the AZ jab increases its effectiveness, we are in priority group 5 and received our first dose  on Thursday. Most of our friends in the same group living in other areas of the South West also received theirs last week. 
We were told by our surgery that we would be called for our second vaccination in 8-10 weeks given just how well this vaccination scheme is going there’s a good chance most of the 9 groups will have received a first jab before we are called in for the second. Uptake of the vaccine in the South West has been high, the BBC were reporting uptakes in the high 90%’s for all ages, the new variants are causing concern especially the Bristol variant which is a mutation of the Kent variant and is similar to the SA variant.

We still have a long way to go and I can’t see a return to cruising, at least for us, this year but progress is promising for the future.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

Apparently 95% of the over 80’s have been vaccinated in UK, BUT, that’s only 1st dose. 15m in UK have had their first dose, but almost all need their 2nd dose.

Yes, meant to clarify that, they are slowing down first doses in the 60-65 age group up here from next week to ensure they have supplies to do the second vaccine.  I sense they are making sure they are already delivered to storage  The take up rate was higher than they had done their predictions model for.  
I was impressed how efficient it was and how many people put up with inconveniences to get their first dose.  DH and I were allocated centres 20 miles apart on different days but just accepted that, coincidentally we got different vaccines so it will be interesting to see whether that has any impact. Our reactions have been different but that happens with the flu vaccine as well so nothing of note! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, uktog said:

Yes, meant to clarify that, they are slowing down first doses in the 60-65 age group up here from next week to ensure they have supplies to do the second vaccine.  I sense they are making sure they are already delivered to storage  The take up rate was higher than they had done their predictions model for.  
I was impressed how efficient it was and how many people put up with inconveniences to get their first dose.  DH and I were allocated centres 20 miles apart on different days but just accepted that, coincidentally we got different vaccines so it will be interesting to see whether that has any impact. Our reactions have been different but that happens with the flu vaccine as well so nothing of note! 

We received our vaccination at our local doctors surgery just a 10 minute drive away, they are doing a great job for their patients. Currently they have administered 15000 vaccinations, at the COVID-19 clinic on Thursday they delivered 1300. Back in January they were featured on the local BBC news as one of the most successful doctors surgeries in the country for delivering vaccinations. Incidentally I received my invitation from the NHS to attend the local vaccination centre the day after getting my first jab from our doctors surgery.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In Scotland the allocation process is centralised, people have been categorised as GP (elderly, vulnerable or in remote areas) or mass centre (fitter more mobile etc) so we cant be asked twice!!  Funny if you see a GP in Midlothian on BBC its our GP they always`film there.  They've done really well, in the dreadful snow on Wednesday they were due to go out to the housebound and had vaccine delivered earlier in the week so were up against time pressure.  They roped in the local lord of the manor with his land rover and the owner of the local dealership with a 4x4 together with a local guy with a mini digger and they cleared roads and got to everyone.  Thats the kind of effort we are all seeing in communities across the UK as everyone wants to make it work especially the GPs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As we are both in the over 65 category, we were called for our vaccination this week, both had the Pfizer vaccine at our local vaccination centre 11 miles from home. We were given the date for our second jab at the end of April. Neither of us have had any symptoms fortunately. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still waiting, but the local vaccination centre is a mile and a half away and they, like many others have been doing an amazing job. It's all the volunteers in the background too. Making it happen. 

 

My heart goes out to all of those in hardship, but we all have to wait our turn. It's not just those who work on ships that have had it bad. 

 

Phil 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Last week for me as CEV.  If you are within the category being done in England, it is worth going onto the gov.uk booking site to book as it will only accept you if you are entitled to book.  Pharmacy for me 5 minutes drive for home and very smoothly ran with parking attendants, check in outside, then one in, one out.  Very impressive.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in the USA and my very small county in Georgia has done a great job. The county has a total population of about 40,000. Pretty much everyone I have talked to over 65 has been vaccinated with at least one jab and many with both. Everyone in healthcare no matter the age have been vaccinated if they wanted it, and most have. My wife and I are fully vaccinated. I have a 2 week land trip planned for Scotland in October and I'm hoping we get to go. Already have some things booked including The Torridon for a couple of nights. Our first Azamara cruise is booked for May 2022. Still not sure what that will look like so we will have to wait and see.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

My Wife and I had our first jabs this morning at our local Leisure Centre, all very well organized, they will contact us later for second dose.

We have no holidays of any kind planned at present and will wait and see what the future looks like before booking anything, far to much is still uncertain in my opinion.

Edited by Bloodaxe
Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone very active in theatre I realize crew are not the only ones not working. But theatre people can do online theatre. Crew ..well the ones I know are selling food. 
 

as far as vaccines my government is clueless. Each state doing their own thing. So one state 65 and  over and another state 70 or 75 and older.

 

meanwhile I seem to know people who are refusing their vaccine..yet  I will go ASAP.

 

Robin 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I'm still waiting, but the local vaccination centre is a mile and a half away and they, like many others have been doing an amazing job. It's all the volunteers in the background too. Making it happen. 

 

My heart goes out to all of those in hardship, but we all have to wait our turn. It's not just those who work on ships that have had it bad. 

 

Phil 

Phil

 

If you have your NHS number number you can book on line without waiting for a letter, we (66) booked Friday night and got our first Jab on Saturday

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Haworth said:

Phil

 

If you have your NHS number number you can book on line without waiting for a letter, we (66) booked Friday night and got our first Jab on Saturday

You do not even need your nhs number. We did the same thing over the weekend in advance of any letter or notification. As long as you are in group 5.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had my first jab on Monday.  I have to admit I shed a few tears.  Felt a bit of an idiot but I was just so grateful to all the people who had made it possible.  It was freezing cold and snowy and volunteers were outside acting as marshalls.  I felt dreadful the next day but so pleased I got it.  I'm 73.  If all goes well my sons, both early 50s will get theirs in April.  One thing that has gone well, at least.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt most crew members will have access to the Pfizer or  Moderna vaccines for a long time. I am worried that they will be given one of the many Asian vaccines that, at best, are less effective. If there is an outbreak among the crew the vaccinated passengers should be relatively safe, but what happens then?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: Azamara - We are back with New Greece Voyages
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...