With Canada now closed to cruises until 2022 is now the time to repeal Jones’ Law?

jbatsea

Just noted that Celebrity can't even get the facts correct in their announcement. The Minister of Transport's announcement made no mention of just port closures, the announcement prohibited cruise ships from operating in all Canadian Waters.

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Just noted that Celebrity can't even get the facts correct in their announcement. The Minister of Transport's announcement made no mention of just port closures, the announcement prohibited cruise ships from operating in all Canadian Waters.

Hopefully those planning ship movements for Celebrity are properly informed 😁.

Both the Jones Act and the PVSA share many sections of the USC, including 46 USC 501 which covers waivers.  In the past, any request from the Secretary of Defense for a waiver had to be granted, if it used the term "national security" as the reason.  The new National Defense Authorization bill passed by Congress in January, changes that section of 46USC501 to require that the requested waiver also show that it is in "direct support of active military operations".  This further limits the ability of the Executive branch in granting Jones Act/PVSA waivers.

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

The new National Defense Authorization bill passed by Congress in January, changes that section of 46USC501 to require that the requested waiver also show that it is in "direct support of active military operations".  This further limits the ability of the Executive branch in granting Jones Act/PVSA waivers.

A very good explanation for the granted waivers requested under 'national security' reasons under this new bill.   Thank you.   I'm glad our country passes an annual  National Defense Bill every year to adapt to changes.

In all likelihood,   it would probably be non-military request.   (economic or cruiseline resumption of service).

I'm curious if the request and apparent denial which was made by Alaskan legislative representatives was made word-of-mouth and not really 'official' or thru the official EO order process,  and 

Reason I'm curious is that it could be Deja Vu again this time next year if the vaccination rate keeps bogging down,  hopefully not and hopefully the economic stimulus can get Alaskans thru the doldrums until cruising returns after the nightmare is over.

Edited by JRG

Requests for waivers that do not come from the DOD must go to Homeland Security, and still must show two conditions:

1.  The waiver is in the interests of "national security"

2.  There is no US flag operation providing the service

There is no "EO option"

Edited by chengkp75

25 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

There is no "EO option"

There are always alternatives...

One alternative would be to get the HAL folks to solicit Oprah Winfrey to do a 60 minutes investigative segment and get to the heart of the matter.    The could probably muster up enough on-line attention to get her involved right here on CC too!

After the pandemic of course.   But can you think of a better 'Ambassador" than Oprah  to tackle the status quo.    I'd let her Business Manager sort out the details.

There are always alternatives.....

8 hours ago, JRG said:

After the pandemic of course.   But can you think of a better 'Ambassador" than Oprah  to tackle the status quo.    I'd let her Business Manager sort out the details.

Somehow, I don’t think an audience of 50+ year old women (my demographic, by the way) put the woes of the cruise industry high on their priority list. 

So yeah, on this topic, I can think of numerous people who would be better ambassadors. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

Somehow, I don’t think an audience of 50+ year old women (my demographic, by the way) put the woes of the cruise industry high on their priority list. 

That's why I prefaced it with "after the pandemic"

How about Ellen DeGenerous or Jon Bon Jovi...

23 minutes ago, JRG said:

That's why I prefaced it with "after the pandemic"

How about Ellen DeGenerous or Jon Bon Jovi...

Kind of sad when pop icons with mindless masses of followers need to be turned to when we need to rethink/shape legislation.

The last great civilization to let itself be dominated by entertainers and athletes, while relying upon foreigners to do the difficult/unattractive work, was Rome —- and we know how that turned out.

Edited by navybankerteacher

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

The last great civilization to let itself be dominated by entertainers and athletes, while relying upon foreigners to do the difficult/unattractive work, was Rome —- and we know how that turned out.

They became one of the worlds most powerful empires for about 1000 years 😂 Not exactly the best example😜

But yeah I don't think any celebrity is going to become campaigner for the cruise industry. Corporations don't create the sympathy that celebrities are looking to generate when they join a campaign😉

7 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

They became one of the worlds most powerful empires for about 1000 years 😂 Not exactly the best example😜

But yeah I don't think any celebrity is going to become campaigner for the cruise industry. Corporations don't create the sympathy that celebrities are looking to generate when they join a campaign😉

1000 years is a long time, but things move much quicker these days.

And you never know what a celebrity will do for money and free publicity. 

7 hours ago, ontheweb said:

1000 years is a long time, but things move much quicker these days.

Things do move faster right now.  It seems that there were many issues that led to the fall of the Romans.  The following list provides a number of reasons - including the acceptance of Christianity as a contributing factor.  Interesting list to skim which seems relevant today in my quick read.

https://www.history.com/news/8-reasons-why-rome-fell#:~:text=1.,encroached beyond the Empire's borders.

6 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Maybe a reality star😄 but I doubt they will have the clout to change legislation😜

I agree that very few of the impassioned speeches by actors in front of the congress make a difference.  This is especially true for a topic as unnecessary as cruising when even our group here has shown that cruising in Alaska is still available - just not the specific type certain people want.

That said, even the largest celebrities will sell themselves if the money is right.

https://moneywise.com/a/the-strangest-celebrity-endorsements

https://www.askmen.com/entertainment/galleries/25-worst-celebrity-endorsements.html?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_330039

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SelectSys said:

Things do move faster right now.  It seems that there were many issues that led to the fall of the Romans.  The following list provides a number of reasons - including the acceptance of Christianity as a contributing factor.  Interesting list to skim which seems relevant today in my quick read.

https://www.history.com/news/8-reasons-why-rome-fell#:~:text=1.,encroached beyond the Empire's borders.

Thanks, that was an interesting read.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2021 at 7:48 AM, JRG said:

There are always alternatives...

One alternative would be to get the HAL folks to solicit Oprah Winfrey to do a 60 minutes investigative segment and get to the heart of the matter.    The could probably muster up enough on-line attention to get her involved right here on CC too!

There are always alternatives.....

Does anyone beside Oprah care at all about what Oprah thinks?

DON

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SelectSys said:

I agree that very few of the impassioned speeches by actors in front of the congress make a difference.  This is especially true for a topic as unnecessary as cruising when even our group here has shown that cruising in Alaska is still available - just not the specific type certain people want.

That said, even the largest celebrities will sell themselves if the money is right.

https://moneywise.com/a/the-strangest-celebrity-endorsements

https://www.askmen.com/entertainment/galleries/25-worst-celebrity-endorsements.html?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_330039

To be fair those examples are not advocates but endorsements😂.  It is not exactly the same thing as you're not arguing for supposed rights of those companies you're just advertising their goods and services, though I suppose with Kim Kardashian becoming a licensed lawyer it would give her a little more weight if she ever wanted to advocate for toilet paper companies😜

34 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Does anyone beside Oprah care at all about what Oprah thinks?

DON

She has a whole channel of content so it seems a lot of people care enough 😉

2 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

To be fair those examples are not advocates but endorsements😂.

Of course! I made separate two points that you combined into one. #1 celebrities rarely are effective in lobbying.  #2 celebrities will do anything if the money is right including sponsoring toilet paper. 

A few celebrities do seem sincere and appear to "do the work" necessary to be credible in advocacy, but in my view that is the exception rather than the rule.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SelectSys said:

Of course! I made separate two points that you combined into one. #1 celebrities rarely are effective in lobbying.  #2 celebrities will do anything if the money is right including sponsoring toilet paper. 

Sorry I didn't realise you were going off topic. Everyone before was discussing advocacy so following that pattern your comment sounded like you may have confused it with endorsing. My misunderstanding😂

12 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Sorry I didn't realise you were going off topic. Everyone before was discussing advocacy so following that pattern your comment sounded like you may have confused it with endorsing. My misunderstanding😂

No worries.  My going off topic typically relates to humor or in reaction to something I read previously posted.  For example - why did the Roman Empire fall?  It's an interesting question that caused me to post something.  Celebrities and advocacy reminded me of the whole ridiculousness of celebrity worship and some of the ridiculous things they will promote for a buck.

On 2/22/2021 at 5:56 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Kind of sad when pop icons with mindless masses of followers need to be turned to when we need to rethink/shape legislation.

NBT Your keen insight is always appreciated from abroad.    Let me know what you think of this posting which is not directed at your thoughts,   but is more back on topic.

I mentioned Oprah because she is a guest interviewer on 60 minutes occasionally and she is very highly respected for many reasons.   I also mentioned the argument for whether the PVSA is good or bad for cruising should be made with honor so I am going to softly say:

For CC readers who are 'on the fence' about whether PVSA is a good thing or a bad thing that needs fixing for cruising,   you may find this reading from a highly credible subject matter expert on the economic impact of PVSA on US ports and cruising thereby.    

I found an Op-Ed from the LA Times that was written Aug 2017 before the pandemic.   It was written by an intellectual property attorney and her husband (I think) and he was Director of Economic Policy under Bush.      I recommend to Scroll to the bottom of the article and google their credentials before you read the article.  This man worked in the White House! (He also produced the Jersey Boys)

Mind you the article is saying that (my para-thrashing) PVSA is doing more to hurt US jobs than the intent of the law.    Each poster should judge for themselves if they believe this is true or if is just easier to believe what you keep hearing on CC.   

I am going to mention that this article from subject matter experts one of whom is of the highest degree ,  because the gist of what the article is saying is very similar to what @Hlitner was arguing earlier in one of his posts.     (unless I mis-read the postings).

Furthermore,   the latter part of the article discusses the inequitable distribution of port sailing fees taxes and revenues  denied to US ports because of PVSA.   This is essentially the milkshake theory example that I have been toying with in my postings with  co-posters who are opposed to exemptions.

This article spells it out.  PVSA is hurting US Cruisers and US Blue Collar Workers

(hopefully no paywall for first visits to LA times)

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-buchholz-pvsa-cruise-20170803-story.html 

12 minutes ago, JRG said:

NBT Your keen insight is always appreciated from abroad.    Let me know what you think of this posting which is not directed at your thoughts,   but is more back on topic.

Where are you at?  Your cruise critic profile says Oceanside.  

On 2/24/2021 at 10:57 AM, SelectSys said:

No worries.  My going off topic typically relates to humor or in reaction to something I read previously posted.  For example - why did the Roman Empire fall?  It's an interesting question that caused me to post something.

The California Indians where I live were able to live in balance with nature for 12,000 years,  until the missionaries came.   The essence of their lives and how they stayed in balance with nature was captured in the poetry and songs around 1900 or so,  If I remember correctly and you can research these poems and songs to interpret how they lived.   

19 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

Where are you at?  Your cruise critic profile says Oceanside.  

I'll tell you that we can ride our bikes down to the harbor from where we live.