Passenger Vaccine Requirement up next?

Sam.Seattle

Those bishops who have called it out as morally problematic have not said to not take the vaccine, though.  Bottom line is that the Vatican has said that people should take the vaccine for the common good, choosing one that didn't use those cells if available but otherwise taking what is available when there are not options.  The real silliness in all of this is that there are lots of other everyday products that are tested with cells from the same cell line with nary a second thought about it.  You can bet that many of those products are served by your favorite cruise line.

I have not had a vaccine in years due to allergies but I know that it is formaldehyde. The Pfizer and Moderna do not use it and may be part of the reason that they need to be kept frozen. I will take a chance and get Pfizer but will be a nervous wreck!!!  My naturopath will keep me in the loop with the other vaccines as well

Many people can't take vaccines due to egg being used and it is in both Pfizer and Moderna

There was a guy on a chat a few days ago who had a severe reaction in the 70's and his DR said he can never get a vaccine again .. I say get a new DR.

9 minutes ago, markeb said:

Neither the Pfizer nor Modena vaccines contain egg products. Not sure where you saw that. Haven’t looked, but I don’t think the J&J or AZ products do either. 

interesting as I was told that they were grown on egg white like most vaccines .. not actually an ingredient on the list

8 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

interesting as I was told that they were grown on egg white like most vaccines .. not actually an ingredient on the list

Historically, a lot of viruses, and viral vaccines, were grown in embryonated eggs. It's actually not egg whites, it's actual whole, live eggs. That's especially true of influenza. These current vaccines don't contain any significant portion of the virus (generally just small snippets of genetic material), and the J&J and AZ products that are do contain an incomplete, unrelated virus ( to express the RNA), are grown in cell culture in bioreactors. Also no egg products.

It's not that hard of a thing to get confused. Growing flu vaccine in eggs is something everyone's heard of, so it's easy to think that's normal for other vaccines. In fact, there are more and more flu vaccines grown in cell culture as well.

• Like 3

There is confusion on this egg issue and vaccines because some influenza vaccines are derived from hen eggs.  But many are now made by other methods and do not involve eggs at all.

COVID mRNA vaccines currently approved do not come from eggs or do not have any components from eggs.  

https://www.allergicliving.com/2020/12/16/faq-on-allergy-concerns-and-the-mrna-covid-19-vaccine/

The J&J vaccine does not come from eggs or have egg-based ingredients.

https://snacksafely.com/2021/03/johnson-johnson-covid-19-vaccine-list-of-ingredients/

• Like 2

On 2/15/2021 at 9:14 AM, TeeRick said:

The current Covid vaccine situation in the US now is that the states and federal government control everything and it is a complete mess.  So if this is an example of a more socialized medicine approach in the US then count me out.

We already have it with Medicare.

Perfectly great pvt insurance  is relegated as secondary coverage once Medicare starts in. You pay more, get less and lose control.   My main dr doesn't  even take it anymore...can't blame him!

We thought Fla was  uneven at the County levels  but has improved after the initial snafus.  State of Fl doing a good job to assist but everytime a group is helped, others complain.  I believe now it is mostly age based or those with co morbidities.

N.Y is a sad story ...poorly organized and  only available in certain areas or large cities.  Many in the suburbs are waiting for  Walgreens or CVS to start up. Too many people. Too little supply.

I am personally  concerned with  the extent of vaccine protection and how long it lasts... esp if required for  cruising.  

3 hours ago, hcat said:

We already have it with Medicare.

Perfectly great pvt insurance  is relegated as secondary coverage once Medicare starts in. You pay more, get less and lose control.   My main dr doesn't  even take it anymore...can't blame him!

We thought Fla was  uneven at the County levels  but has improved after the initial snafus.  State of Fl doing a good job to assist but everytime a group is helped, others complain.  I believe now it is mostly age based or those with co morbidities.

N.Y is a sad story ...poorly organized and  only available in certain areas or large cities.  Many in the suburbs are waiting for  Walgreens or CVS to start up. Too many people. Too little supply.

I am personally  concerned with  the extent of vaccine protection and how long it lasts... esp if required for  cruising.  

Concerning Medicare, keep in mind that, in general, over all, commercial insurance pays about 1.3 to 1.5 X what Medicare does for physician services. That is why physicians limit the number of patients of each kind of insurance they will take.

The difference is actually larger for hospital services.

8 minutes ago, nocl said:

Concerning Medicare, keep in mind that, in general, over all, commercial insurance pays about 1.3 to 1.5 X what Medicare does for physician services. That is why physicians limit the number of patients of each kind of insurance they will take.

The difference is actually larger for hospital services.

My dr  says he got tired of all the paperwork, rejections and low fees.

We are just as happy to pay him outright....but would need a Medicare enrolled dr for any surgery or hospital visits. Our other drs accept Medicare and the rates they are paid are low.

We were told that both of our covid tests(NY & Fl) would be covered  In Fl some "walk ins" wanted $199`for a rapid test...we shopped around &  found a great place we might use in general.

1 hour ago, hcat said:

My dr  says he got tired of all the paperwork, rejections and low fees.

We are just as happy to pay him outright....but would need a Medicare enrolled dr for any surgery or hospital visits. Our other drs accept Medicare and the rates they are paid are low.

We were told that both of our covid tests(NY & Fl) would be covered  In Fl some "walk ins" wanted $199`for a rapid test...we shopped around &  found a great place we might use in general.

Dont want to derail and talk about Medicare, but as a practicing physician, Healthspring and some of the other commercial Medicare Advantage plans are even worse. Great for patients, good benefits that are otherwise patient responsibility, their sales staff go around and try to sign up as many healthy seniors as possible. But if you get sick, or don't have a physician when you sign up, watch out

8 hours ago, TeeRick said:

There is confusion on this egg issue and vaccines because some influenza vaccines are derived from hen eggs.  But many are now made by other methods and do not involve eggs at all.

COVID mRNA vaccines currently approved do not come from eggs or do not have any components from eggs.  

https://www.allergicliving.com/2020/12/16/faq-on-allergy-concerns-and-the-mrna-covid-19-vaccine/

The J&J vaccine does not come from eggs or have egg-based ingredients.

https://snacksafely.com/2021/03/johnson-johnson-covid-19-vaccine-list-of-ingredients/

Just to support TeeRick, as an allergist we now know that most common vaccines use chick fibroblasts cultures and not embryos.  There is only scant amount of egg protein in these vaccines and not considered dangerous except to severely egg sensitive patients.  In fact, most vaccine related reactions have been to other components like the gelatin.  The Covid vaccines do not contain egg protein although the minimal risk is thought related to PEG which is a component of other vaccines.  In general, people with common allergies are not at greater risk for the Covid vaccine then the general population which is a rate of about one in every 100,000 doses.  They are considered extremely safe and effective.  Only significant risk is for those who have reacted to other vaccines containing PEG.  Sorry for the scientific explanation but some might be interested.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cangelmd said:

Dont want to derail and talk about Medicare, but as a practicing physician, Healthspring and some of the other commercial Medicare Advantage plans are even worse. Great for patients, good benefits that are otherwise patient responsibility, their sales staff go around and try to sign up as many healthy seniors as possible. But if you get sick, or don't have a physician when you sign up, watch out

The US health care system is like a giant balloon when one program cuts expenses, the balloon just bulges out somewhere else.  It is built on a convoluted system of pricing smoke and mirrors where each provider ends up getting paid different amounts depending upon the program and/or company. A lot of energy goes into creating the appearance of price reduction, while skimming money into middlemen.

It is the NHS here in the U.K. that has enabled our roll out to be so successful. Even though it has been handled slightly differently in the four nations, the NHS database which covers virtually every person in the U.K. enabled centralisation for issuing the vaccination letters. The booking service worked very well and whether you attended a local GP vaccination centre or one of the large centres, it all ran very smoothly. Has it been perfect; of course not. There are still some people unable to leave home who are still waiting for home visits to be vaccinated. However, overall the figures speak volumes. That said, we therefore have in excess of 19 million people who require their second vaccination (mainly April, May onwards) and I hope that we have sufficient supplies to meet this requirement.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, cangelmd said:

Perhaps it depends on the individual and their financial situation, but I think the Medicare Advantage plans are terrible for the patients.  They limit patient choices and that's not good for the patient.  I'll bet most physicians keep traditional Medicare and supplemental plans.

13 hours ago, docsneeze said:

Just to support TeeRick, as an allergist we now know that most common vaccines use chick fibroblasts cultures and not embryos.  There is only scant amount of egg protein in these vaccines and not considered dangerous except to severely egg sensitive patients.  In fact, most vaccine related reactions have been to other components like the gelatin.  The Covid vaccines do not contain egg protein although the minimal risk is thought related to PEG which is a component of other vaccines.  In general, people with common allergies are not at greater risk for the Covid vaccine then the general population which is a rate of about one in every 100,000 doses.  They are considered extremely safe and effective.  Only significant risk is for those who have reacted to other vaccines containing PEG.  Sorry for the scientific explanation but some might be interested.

Recent update from the CDC on the 3 COVID vaccines in the US and allergies.  The mRNA vaccines have PEG.  The J&J vaccine does not have PEG but it does contain polysorbate.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/recommendations/specific-groups/allergies.html