Three price drops in two weeks

JerrySueW

We booked a mini-suite for the January 4, 2022 Antarctica and Cape Horn cruise. The price has dropped three times for a total of $600 per person since January 28th. Is this happening on other itineraries and room categories? It certainly has me guessing about the reasons and the likelihood that the cruise will actually take place. Since we have some FCC from other cancelled cruises, it makes us feel like we're getting a bargain (ha ha!). 

• Like 1

We have a 28 day Sydney to San Francisco Trans pacific cruise booked 4/2/22. Caribe balcony was reduced twice in last 3 weeks by $1300 total and I gained a free specialty dining on top. Very pleased, now 

just hope it cruises. Charlie

We have 3 cruises booked, a TA for November 2021, a Trans Pacific in April 2022 and a Baltic cruise in September 2022 and all 3 have had price drops in the past few weeks. One price drop each for the TA (about $600 less for the cabin)  and Baltic (about $300 less) and 2 price drops for the Trans Pacific (for a total of $1300 less for the cabin).

I see the wording ‘refared’ off and on and that many have saved additional money by having a cruise refared. 

Could someone possibly explain how this works? Do you still retain your original booking or do you rebook? Appreciate any guidance.

1 hour ago, Loki S said:

I see the wording ‘refared’ off and on and that many have saved additional money by having a cruise refared. 

Could someone possibly explain how this works? Do you still retain your original booking or do you rebook? Appreciate any guidance.

I can only answer for the USA and it may be different in Australia.

If you see a lower fare for your cruise that is not for new bookings only (usually only before final payment date), you can ask to have your booking refared:

a) There must be availability in the exact same category you have booked. For example, if you have a BC balcony cabin booked, there must be availability in the BC category. You will keep the same cabin. However if your category has no availability, you could ask to change the booking to an available category and thus a different cabin.

b) Usually you will retain the same booking number. If switching to a different category you may get a new booking number.

c) Any amenities (specialty dining, OBC, etc.) that came with your original booking will be lost unless they are also included in the current promotion with the new fare.

d) If your booking is with a travel agent, you must work with the travel agent to get the refare.

e) If you do get a new booking number, you might lose your choice of dining, any booked Princess excursions and any other pre-cruise reservations you have made and have to make them all again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, caribill said:

If you see a lower fare for your cruise that is not for new bookings only (usually only before final payment date), you can ask to have your booking refared:

a) There must be availability in the exact same category you have booked. For example, if you have a BC balcony cabin booked, there must be availability in the BC category. You will keep the same cabin. However if your category has no availability, you could ask to change the booking to an available category and thus a different cabin.

b) Usually you will retain the same booking number. If switching to a different category you may get a new booking number.

c) Any amenities (specialty dining, OBC, etc.) that came with your original booking will be lost unless they are also included in the current promotion with the new fare.

d) If your booking is with a travel agent, you must work with the travel agent to get the refare.

e) If you do get a new booking number, you might lose your choice of dining, any booked Princess excursions and any other pre-cruise reservations you have made and have to make them all again.

Thanks caribill, appreciate your post. That makes total sense. I’ll can only see once getting closer to final payment.

We were notified by our ta this week that our 3/5/22 & 3/19/22 South America cruises had significant price(downward) changes. Prices were adjusted, without the need to be refared, it’s what a good ta does!

Hal

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, beach_fever_4ever said:

We have had price drops over the years, but not for our 2022 cruises, so far. Our B2B Panama Canal cruises have gone up $1500 and $500 per leg. We continue to watch the prices.

Our B2B 2022 cruises have now increased by $1500 and $900 per leg. We have never seen a price increase of this magnitude before.

2 hours ago, seapals2 said:

This isn’t an option in the UK unless the price difference is sufficient to cover the cost of lost deposit on the original booking and rebook.  The best we have done is to complain and hope for a cabin upgrade at no cost.  

I thought I read here that those in the UK were permitted one, maybe two changes, without forfeiting the deposit.

3 hours ago, skynight said:

I thought I read here that those in the UK were permitted one, maybe two changes, without forfeiting the deposit.

As I remember it, they can make one change but with a fee of ₤100.

Maybe someone in the UK can verify if my memory is correct.

Our cruise from Sydney to LA next year has had a price drop of ~$2500 for a mini.  I went on line and many of the cabins are still available which may explain the price drop.  We have 3 other cruises out of the US on the books for 2022 and all have modest price increases.  It is supply and demand pricing.  

15 hours ago, caribill said:

Superb summary, Carbill.

I am guessing that there will be a lot of price drops on the 2022 and 2023 cruises.  The reason is that when the cruises for those years were finally announced, people were so desperate to get on a ship going anywhere that they rushed out to book.  As an example, when Oceania announced their 180 day world cruise for 2023, is sold out in I believe 1 hour.  As it gets closer to cruising time,  a lot of people will decide that they don't really want to whatever cruise they booked and they will cancel.  This will result in price drops.

DON

On 2/13/2021 at 11:18 PM, caribill said:

Today I refared a 13 day Australian cruise. The new price was $227 less per person. Additionally I had them add on the free Specialty Dining and the Valentine's Day promo with the 19 piece box of Godiva chocolate. Same booking number.

I actually had them add the specialty dining to 3 of our booked cruises - one already had it. I also had them add the chocolate perk to all 4 booked cruises. Considering that 3 of them are a B2B2B that's lot of freaking chocolate! 57 pieces of chocolate for a 26 day cruise. Will likely have to either give some away or take some home.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ChangeOrder said:

I'm noticing a $200 drop on my Aug 2022 cruise that I was debating calling in for. I hate having to bother the agents for (relatively) so little money, but that's like 1-2 free excursions for me!

just curious - how much commission ( even estimated ) is your TA 'earning' from your cruise ... and how much time do they have invested in your cruise ?

38 minutes ago, ChangeOrder said:

I'm noticing a $200 drop on my Aug 2022 cruise that I was debating calling in for. I hate having to bother the agents for (relatively) so little money, but that's like 1-2 free excursions for me!

The last time I called for a refare it was less than one minute. 

Edited by texasgirl29