Is Aqua Class worth it?

johnasmith99

Just an FYI, Celebrity poorly writes that you have access to Blu in AQ cabins.  If you choose AQ, Blu is your assigned restaurant, you do not have a seat assigned for you anywhere else on the ship.

We have done Blu a number of times and do enjoy it.  I would not pay $1100 more for it however.  Best bet is get what you need and be proactive on the web site, prices do frequently go down. 

15 hours ago, Hygge! said:

Can't speak to the Edge but we enjoy Aqua class very much.  Having access to the Blu for breakfast and dinner is top on our list - it's very quiet dining and you can still request food off the main dining if you prefer.   In addition we enjoy the location on the upper decks and not noisey at all and access to the spa anytime we want - and we do like the spa. We will continue to book the Aqua class. For what it is worth you have earlier boarding time.  Not sure that applies with any new restrictions they may apply for the future.  

AQ on the edge is different- the restaurant is truly a disappointment- different then M and S class.  The anytime dining on the Edge, with multiple restaurants is great- much smaller restaurants and it is like being in a specialty restaurant every day.  

I previously forgot to mention that while the staff and restaurant servers were excellent in  BLU on EDGE,  dinner delivery from the kitchen was painfuly slow, not sure why and hope it has improved.  They had to open earlier so folks could get done in time to attend the shows.  Many just skipped dessert.

11 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Are there any IV cabins that are worth the price?

I initially booked an IV cabin on my Apex Mediterranean cruise last May then dropped down to a regular balcony I think it had a small cut out window. Read too many negative reviews about the IV cabins but the cruise ended up being cancelled anyway. 

• Like 1

We like AQ a lot and would pay "somewhat" more than a standard room.  I can only speak to non-Edge

Blu food is very good and is a slight twist on MDR.  If you are a plain eater - roast chicken, salmon or steak then you won't like it.  The other plus is that Blu is less chaotic and noisy than MDR.  Helpful if you have been out all day in port or on deck

Persian Garden is a great place to hang out and get recharged with the steam/sauna rooms.  The hot water loungers are an easy way to unwind in late afternoon

I don't know how much more I would pay for AQ. $1k is too much as you could eat almost every night in specialty restaurants for that difference.  Persian Garden is worth something but is more of a bonus than a defined cost.  As someone said, just keep looking at prices

2 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

AQ on the edge is different- the restaurant is truly a disappointment- different then M and S class. The anytime dining on the Edge, with multiple restaurants is great- much smaller restaurants and it is like being in a specialty restaurant every day.  

We usually book AQ or SS, but have decided to book SV cabins on the Edge-class ships just for this reason. Thanks for confirming our thoughts, as we have yet to sail on either, but have future bookings on both the Edge and Apex.

15 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Nope not for me.  Aqua Class is a cleverly designed category to sell  cabins in a poor location at a premium.

Even though I love Aqua Class and generally book it (have not tried it on Edge class yet), I agree with your statement about how they were created.  In general, at least on M and S class, the Aqua Class cabins are in less desirable locations (primarily due to being the deck below the pool and buffet area).  I do think they created the class specifically to make those cabins more desirable.  All that said, we love dining in Blu for breakfast and dinner so for that reason alone we will pick AQ most of the time and just try to find the 'lesser of evils' as it were regarding room location.  Some of the locations (like the hump cabins) are not bad at all and some (directly under the pool band area for example) can sometimes be annoying but nothing we can't deal with.

We usually book Aqua, but on Edge(transatlantic spring 2019) had no choice but an IV accessible 1E and it turned out fine. The ability to choose from the four main dining rooms offered a wide menu choice, as all the venues have similar mains and indigenous specialties. Reservations were made on line for dining times and location, but changing them as we went along was never a problem
Next years booking on Apex in the Med & transatlantic, we were astounded by the difference between Aqua(thousands more) and a IV 1E; so with the four dining rooms we’re happy, can always buy a Persian gardens package. Persian gardens on S class are in the front looking out over the bow(the best is Reflection with double the loungers), on Edge more interior.

Hal

On 2/14/2021 at 3:26 PM, Cruise a holic said:

In my opinion no.  First cabins are infinite balcony which we didn’t like.  Also blu was located off a busy hallway and some tables are abutting the hallway.  Not a fan of the Aqua spa facilities.  iMO, would rather book a regular balcony with anytime dining, as the anytime dining rooms are fabulous like specialty restaurants.  Also with saved money you can try a few specialty restaurants.  Enjoy

I agree with this regarding Edge specifically.  We did not like the room location of AQ nor did we like Blu's layout. The IV is a total miss for us.  We always sail forward (no overhang) on S class for the proximity to the Relax room, the stairs directly to the Solarium and the convenience of the spiral stairs to the gym.  We believe Blu is worth it on S class.  Hope to try AQ on M in June if Summit sails.

4 hours ago, HS2BS said:

We usually book Aqua, but on Edge(transatlantic spring 2019) had no choice but an IV accessible 1E and it turned out fine. The ability to choose from the four main dining rooms offered a wide menu choice, as all the venues have similar mains and indigenous specialties. Reservations were made on line for dining times and location, but changing them as we went along was never a problem
Next years booking on Apex in the Med & transatlantic, we were astounded by the difference between Aqua(thousands more) and a IV 1E; so with the four dining rooms we’re happy, can always buy a Persian gardens package. Persian gardens on S class are in the front looking out over the bow(the best is Reflection with double the loungers), on Edge more interior.

Hal

Hal brings up another good point.  Blu is certainly an upscale experience from an S class MDR, but I'm not sure that's the case in Edge with its four individual main dining experiences.  I sort of regret not skipping AQ just to try them out.  

aquaclass/Blu is definitely better but not 1100 better than main dining room regular balcony room  I look at the prices and figure it out.  Location of rooms is not a factor to me since I only use it as storage for clothes/shower and to sleep in truthfully.  Blu is one aspect I like  but I do use the Persian Gardens daily and if not in an AQ will get a cruise pass for it and use it.  All really depends on price for me when looking at the different classes of rooms on the ships.  Have not been on the E class so cant say anything about them.  I prefer the S class overall still 

• 2 weeks later...

ive never been on X but when i did extensive research thru pics and this forum, for suite restaurant seating, it seems the seating is waaaay too close together. hopefully that could change with todays virus issues. but to overspend for the honors of being inches from my neighbor, sandwiched between 2 other tables, just isnt my cup of tea.

on the other hand if you are super social and the others are, this is perfect. 

9 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

ive never been on X but when i did extensive research thru pics and this forum, for suite restaurant seating, it seems the seating is waaaay too close together. hopefully that could change with todays virus issues. but to overspend for the honors of being inches from my neighbor, sandwiched between 2 other tables, just isnt my cup of tea.

on the other hand if you are super social and the others are, this is perfect. 

Nobody knows what seating for meals will look like when cruising resumes.  Not sure what you are referring to as Blu is not for suite guests.  Luminae is their restaurant.  Seating pre pandemic varied from ship to ship.  Blu on Shilouette was wonderful.

In Blu if you want to be by the window then the tables are close  together.  I’ve never understood the allure  of sitting by the window when it’s dark and the ship is in the middle of the ocean.    Other areas of Blu are spaced out a little more.  

Any dining room on a mass market cruise ship will have tables close together.

8 hours ago, jelayne said:

In Blu if you want to be by the window then the tables are close  together.  I’ve never understood the allure  of sitting by the window when it’s dark and the ship is in the middle of the ocean.    Other areas of Blu are spaced out a little more.  

I understand what you are saying that you can't see anything in the dark with the curtains closed, but I always find it more enjoyable sitting next to the window or even a wall.  I dislike sitting in the middle of the dining room have waiters running around my table going to other sections or back to the kitchen.  Sitting next to the window or wall usually eliminates all of this foot traffic and makes it more enjoyable for me.  My absolute least favorite place is next to one of the waiter stations, I'll usually decline sitting in one of those locations.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, jelayne said:

In Blu if you want to be by the window then the tables are close  together.  I’ve never understood the allure  of sitting by the window when it’s dark and the ship is in the middle of the ocean.  

Perhaps you should remove your sunglasses at breakfast , nice view in the am on S class ships!

On 2/15/2021 at 3:35 PM, bikerunner said:

aquaclass/Blu is definitely better but not 1100 better than main dining room regular balcony room  I look at the prices and figure it out.  Location of rooms is not a factor to me since I only use it as storage for clothes/shower and to sleep in truthfully.  Blu is one aspect I like  but I do use the Persian Gardens daily and if not in an AQ will get a cruise pass for it and use it.  All really depends on price for me when looking at the different classes of rooms on the ships.  Have not been on the E class so cant say anything about them.  I prefer the S class overall still 

SInce it's introduction, we've always booked AQ but, after our last sailing on the Reflection in January 2020, we decided it just wasn't the same dining experience in an overcrowded venue. So when we returned, we changed our reservation for our Sept 2020 Reflection Holy Land sailing from Aqua to Concierge class and planned on using the savings for a Specialty dining package. Needless to say, Covid made sure that never happened! 

Agree with the chorus of replies. Enjoyed Aqua on S class, actually missed my Persian Garden day when in a suite!

I have sailed Edge, but not in Aqua, but I don’t see how AQ would be a big advantage. Take that $1100: and eat in Eden, the food is excellent. Even on a longer cruise, with the 4 dining rooms and the specialty restaurants, I think  you wouldn’t get bored. Blu is the reason to book AQ for most people,and while I think the food and service is a little better in Blu, the novelty of dining on the Edge equals that out.

• Like 2

After 35+ cruises with other lower mainline cruise lines, now traveling without our now grown kids, we decided to splurge & booked the everything-included Apex for Jan next yr, but in the cheapest inside cabin.  TA called back & said he had one AQ cabin left on the 9th deck for only $700 more than current inside cabin, & it's even less expensive than Infinite Verandah cabin.  Might as well...  Looking forward to our first Celebrity cruise & experiencing this AQ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cangelmd said:

Agree with the chorus of replies. Enjoyed Aqua on S class, actually missed my Persian Garden day when in a suite!

I have sailed Edge, but not in Aqua, but I don’t see how AQ would be a big advantage. Take that $1100: and eat in Eden, the food is excellent. Even on a longer cruise, with the 4 dining rooms and the specialty restaurants, I think  you wouldn’t get bored. Blu is the reason to book AQ for most people, and while I think the food and service is a little better in Blu, the novelty of dining on the Edge equals that out.

We have to agree with you regarding the Edge class ships. When we found out we could dine in 4 different dining rooms, all with different menus, for us it was a no-brainer to "downgrade" to an aft-facing SV cabin. We enjoy Blu, but couldn't resist trying a different restaurant every night.

21 hours ago, jelayne said:

In Blu if you want to be by the window then the tables are close  together.  I’ve never understood the allure  of sitting by the window when it’s dark and the ship is in the middle of the ocean.   

If you arrive when Blu opens - was 5:30 when we last booked AQ - it is still light out. And later on you get to see the sunset if it happens to be setting on the port side of the ship.

I have to say that we loved Blu on the Summit because they let you order off of the menu from Blu or the regular dining room...or both. The restaurants are next to each other so I guess they shared the kitchen and it was easy for them to get either.

Obviously that isn't the case on the Edge/Apex but if you're booked in an Aqua class cabin and you went to one of the 4 main dining rooms and just gave them your cabin number when asked do you think they'd turn you away?