A nice recent video about Azamara

excitedofharpenden

19 minutes ago, teacherman said:

Our first Azamara cruise was supposed to be this month out of Capetown.  We are hoping to do it next January, or just do a land trip through South Africa.  But maybe a light at the end of the tunnel - our CDC said yesterday that once you have had a second vaccine shot, and then waited 2 weeks, it would be safe to associate with other people who had also had the second shot.  So, maybe by November things can start back up.

Would be nice to think so but the problem comes with the new variants of the virus like the South African, Brazilian and those in the uk. All of these are more transmissible and it’s unclear if any of the current vaccines are as effective against them. 
AstraZenica are working on an updated vaccine, as no doubt others are, and it’s probable that we will need a booster vaccine later in the year.

I think it’s very doubtful that long haul travel will return for some time yet.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Riocca said:

Would be nice to think so but the problem comes with the new variants of the virus like the South African, Brazilian and those in the uk. All of these are more transmissible and it’s unclear if any of the current vaccines are as effective against them. 
AstraZenica are working on an updated vaccine, as no doubt others are, and it’s probable that we will need a booster vaccine later in the year.

I think it’s very doubtful that long haul travel will return for some time yet.

I am afraid you are right. The light at the end of the tunnel is less bright due to the mutations. Vaccines, despite all the expectations, will probably not be enough. I hope that effective treatments are also developed.

Ivi

3 hours ago, travelberlin said:

I am afraid you are right. The light at the end of the tunnel is less bright due to the mutations. Vaccines, despite all the expectations, will probably not be enough. I hope that effective treatments are also developed.

Ivi

I'm more hopeful on the mutations. Not to say we won't have to adjust the vaccine like we do for flu, but our medical knowledge base (which is extensive) seem very much on the case with this. I listened to Dr Jonathan Van Tam who is an extremely sensible and no nonsense scientist whom I trust and he gave a very good summary at a recent Covid-19 briefing. 

As far as the restart of Azamara goes, I agree with Riocca. It's very complex, not least that the crew come from all over the world.  It's going to take a while to get things going again.  

Phil 

3 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I'm more hopeful on the mutations. Not to say we won't have to adjust the vaccine like we do for flu, but our medical knowledge base (which is extensive) seem very much on the case with this. I listened to Dr Jonathan Van Tam who is an extremely sensible and no nonsense scientist whom I trust and he gave a very good summary at a recent Covid-19 briefing. 

As far as the restart of Azamara goes, I agree with Riocca. It's very complex, not least that the crew come from all over the world.  It's going to take a while to get things going again.  

Phil 

Not just the crew which is going to be a very complex logistical exercise, I think borders for leisure travel are going to open slowly. Even with a successful vaccination campaign there’s going to be a level of international mistrust about how other countries are tackling it.

• Like 2

On 2/17/2021 at 11:14 AM, excitedofharpenden said:

Phil 

That certainly doesn’t sound very promising for our July British Isles cruise.  I hope they make a decision before final payment is due in March.  My TA hasn’t had any recent updates.

8 minutes ago, midwestchick said:

That certainly doesn’t sound very promising for our July British Isles cruise.  I hope they make a decision before final payment is due in March.  My TA hasn’t had any recent updates.

I believe the UK government is currently considering mandatory government run quarantine for 10 days for travellers  arriving from the USA. It already applies for direct arrivals to Scotland from the USA. You need to keep an eye on that 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, uktog said:

I believe the UK government is currently considering mandatory government run quarantine for 10 days for travellers  arriving from the USA. It already applies for direct arrivals to Scotland from the USA. You need to keep an eye on that 

Do you think this ruling will change once vaccines have been made available?

8 hours ago, TeaBag said:

Do you think this ruling will change once vaccines have been made available?

Vaccines are fully available in the UK.  In all four nations they are bring rolled out under the control and management of the government supported by the army.  People are invited to one of the vaccination points in order of priority. Priority is based on age and is risk related. Virtually everyone over 70 has now had their first dose, many over 60 are being done this week and the schedule is to have all over 50 vaccinated by May.

Borders are closed except in a few special exemptions to prevent the importation of new mutations, we have no idea for how long this will be. 

12 hours ago, midwestchick said:

No it doesn't, but then this is just my opinion.  I'm sure Azamara will want you to make final payment.  From then who knows?  The decision by you to pay it for a potentially cancelled cruise is a difficult call. 

Phil 

I have a similar decision to make for a cruise starting in the UK so in theory an easier decision. I’m not optimistic currently and am also so scared as it’s my final booking with the dreadful travel agent. We only got resolution this week for a cruise cancelled in April 2020 with the help of the LCV team. To go through that again is something I cannot face. 

It’s one of these coin toss decisions 

4 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

No it doesn't, but then this is just my opinion.  I'm sure Azamara will want you to make final payment.  From then who knows?  The decision by you to pay it for a potentially cancelled cruise is a difficult call. 

Phil 

That’s what I’m afraid of.  And yes it is difficult since I have 4 free nights on that cruise.  Not sure what this new company will allow as far as keeping them.

2 hours ago, midwestchick said:

You will not know until your cruise is cancelled what the position will be regarding the complimentary nights however in the previous rounds of cancellations the free nights were rolled forward to a new deadline.  I doubt the new owners would want to disadvantage loyal cruisers by removing nights previously issued, however until we see the rule in black and white nothing can be certain.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, uktog said:

You will not know until your cruise is cancelled what the position will be regarding the complimentary nights however in the previous rounds of cancellations the free nights were rolled forward to a new deadline.  I doubt the new owners would want to disadvantage loyal cruisers by removing nights previously issued, however until we see the rule in black and white nothing can be certain.

Neither can I. The last thing they'll want to do is alienate their loyal client base that they recognised as so important when deciding to buy Azamara. 

Phil 

• Like 3

On 2/19/2021 at 2:47 PM, uktog said:

Even if people have been vaccinated? 

A somewhat related question . . . How are airport connections being made at Heathrow. If an international passenger has a connecting flight, can that person easily go from one terminal to another to make that connection?

24 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

I think that’s because there is not yet enough evidence about whether the vaccine prevents transmission.

There is also concern about the impact of the virus on new strains.  New strains will come from countries where the virus is considered not to be under control (less than 5% test positivity) as defined by the WHO.  Unfortunately USA has quite a way to go to reach that measure but time will tell.  

Rabo if your transit does not involve immigration eg it’s international to international there is no quarantine 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, onthebalcony said:

Hi Phil from the UK!  This is onthebalcony.  We sailed with you in May 2013 on the Journey thru the Suez Canal!  Wonderful trip!!

Anne, lovely to hear from you. That was a indeed a wonderful trip. Love those Suez cruises. I hope you are well. 

Phil