Hot Dogs

Harry and Lucille

16 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

We use either Boars Head or Nathan Famous from Coney Island Skinless.

And we also use the Top Sliced Rolls for better holding Sauerkraut and/or Coney Island Cooked Red Onions. The NY Hot Dog Vendor use them on those Street Carts. And we use our local Deli mustard.

And also we have Stonehill Green Emerald Relish which is also tasty...

New York is the "hot dog" expert region of our country, I think.  My grocers do carry Boars Head deli meats, but never have seen hot dogs.  Maybe I have seen Nathan Famous for sale at Kroger's.  But, why are these better than Oscar Mayer?  

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

New York is the "hot dog" expert region of our country, I think.  My grocers do carry Boars Head deli meats, but never have seen hot dogs.  Maybe I have seen Nathan Famous for sale at Kroger's.  But, why are these better than Oscar Mayer?  

This is the brand and package we get.... Maybe U can get It...

Nathans is not that far away from home where they are being made. Close to home made in distance..

We use either one....

large_abcba592-2c72-446e-84f0-74735b1f8626.jpg

Edited by BklynBoy8
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Basic hot dog building for me: mayo on the bun, a bed of chopped raw Red or Vidalia onion, a _teeny_ dab or two of mustard (coarse-ground Dijon or horseradish-flavored), some black pepper and maybe a few garlic dill pickle chips.

Heaven.

Edited by capncarp
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, capncarp said:

Basic hot dog building for me: mayo on the bun, a bed of chopped raw Red or Vidalia onion, a _teeny_ dab or two of mustard (coarse-ground Dijon or horseradish-flavored), some black pepper and maybe a few garlic dill pickle chips.

Heaven.

Interesting...

On 9/17/2021 at 5:03 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

Interesting...

On 9/16/2021 at 8:15 PM, capncarp said:

Heaven.

capncarp's presentation of a hot dog sounds rather gourmet.  Nothing wrong with that.  When I prepare a hot dog for my dinner entree, it will because I want something quick and easy to fix.  Bun/mustard/some relish/the dog:  that meets my needs at the time.  

A favorite cold weather entree that I enjoy is a casserole of Pork and Beans with additional ingredients of catsup, minced onion, brown sugar, parsley flakes, a touch of salt with generous black pepper added, and a touch of MSG.  I then top that with some wieners and let them bake. incorporate the flavors, for at least 60 minutes at 350 degrees.  Delicious!  

10 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

capncarp's presentation of a hot dog sounds rather gourmet.  Nothing wrong with that.  When I prepare a hot dog for my dinner entree, it will because I want something quick and easy to fix.  Bun/mustard/some relish/the dog:  that meets my needs at the time.  

A favorite cold weather entree that I enjoy is a casserole of Pork and Beans with additional ingredients of catsup, minced onion, brown sugar, parsley flakes, a touch of salt with generous black pepper added, and a touch of MSG.  I then top that with some wieners and let them bake. incorporate the flavors, for at least 60 minutes at 350 degrees.  Delicious!  

Fortunately I come from a region that has great hot dogs.  We have a local company called Kayem that makes some of the best hotdogs anywhere.  I very much prefer them to Boars Head, Hebrew National and Nathan’s.  Kayem is the official hot dog at Fenway Park…The Fenway Frank.  We also have a regional brand called Shoenland that is a great dog at a discounted price.  The whole secret of a great dog is a lower salt content and slightly smoked to a perfect degree.  

I can see how a Chicago Dog is interesting but I can never see putting ketchup or mayo on a hot dog…never!  

We also have B&M Baked Beans from Portland, Maine.  Their Boston’s Best are our go-to quick fix.  Just a bit of my own mix of mustard and chunks of onion then 6 minutes in the microwave…superb!  We always grill our dogs in a bit of butter and vegetable oil then place the leftovers in the beans until we have them a few days later.  The beans actually get better after a few days in the fridge.  

5 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Fortunately I come from a region that has great hot dogs.  We have a local company called Kayem that makes some of the best hotdogs anywhere.  I very much prefer them to Boars Head, Hebrew National and Nathan’s.  Kayem is the official hot dog at Fenway Park…The Fenway Frank.  We also have a regional brand called Shoenland that is a great dog at a discounted price.  The whole secret of a great dog is a lower salt content and slightly smoked to a perfect degree.  

I can see how a Chicago Dog is interesting but I can never see putting ketchup or mayo on a hot dog…never!  

We also have B&M Baked Beans from Portland, Maine.  Their Boston’s Best are our go-to quick fix.  Just a bit of my own mix of mustard and chunks of onion then 6 minutes in the microwave…superb!  We always grill our dogs in a bit of butter and vegetable oil then place the leftovers in the beans until we have them a few days later.  The beans actually get better after a few days in the fridge.  

The. Best HD's are those when the skin snaps.

Also my dad's baked bean recipe is to die for homemade with pork belly in side with Pork Belly..But Alternative is B&M w the Brown Sugar.

6 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Also my dad's baked bean recipe is to die for homemade with pork belly in side with Pork Belly..But Alternative is B&M w the Brown Sugar.

Right you are BB.  DW and I have to have skin on and skinless.  She likes skinless and I love the traditional skin on…for the snap.  I make my own mustard.  I start with a good deli mustard and then doctor it up with a bit of yellow, Dijon and whole grain.  You have to get the mix just right.

On 9/20/2021 at 11:17 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

Yes!

On 9/20/2021 at 5:48 AM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

We also have B&M Baked Beans from Portland, Maine.  Their Boston’s Best are our go-to quick fix.  Just a bit of my own mix of mustard and chunks of onion then 6 minutes in the microwave…superb!

It is very interesting to me to learn how we, who live in different areas, like something as simple as a hot dog and baked beans.  

Autumn has arrived.  It's time for another casserole of Baked Beans and Wieners as I like them, I think.  (On this early Fall evening with temperatures expecting to drop into the upper 40's with rain, I wish I could prepare such a dinner!)  

Edited by rkacruiser

On 9/22/2021 at 8:33 PM, rkacruiser said:

Autumn has arrived.  It's time for another casserole of Baked Beans and Wieners as I like them, I think.  (On this early Fall evening with temperatures expecting to drop into the upper 40's with rain, I wish I could prepare such a dinner!)  

I now have the ingredients.  When the weather cooperates, that will be my dinner for a couple of days.  We are enjoying a bit of "Indian Summer" type of weather currently.  Comfortable days and beautiful skies:  what a delight!

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I now have the ingredients.  When the weather cooperates, that will be my dinner for a couple of days.  We are enjoying a bit of "Indian Summer" type of weather currently.  Comfortable days and beautiful skies:  what a delight!

I too have to pull my Dad's recipe for BB and use it as comfort food.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 9:42 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

I too have to pull my Dad's recipe for BB and use it as comfort food.

Don’t you love the smell of baked beans cooking for 8 hours in the oven on a cool Fall day?  I really like baked beans served with fresh baked bread!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Don’t you love the smell of baked beans cooking for 8 hours in the oven on a cool Fall day?

YES!  But, I wouldn't cook the concoction that I had made for 8 hours.  Slow oven  at 325 degrees for 2 hours is what I do.  What is your oven temperature for an 8 hour cooking time?  

YES!  But, I wouldn't cook the concoction that I had made for 8 hours.  Slow oven  at 325 degrees for 2 hours is what I do.  What is your oven temperature for an 8 hour cooking time?  

Have to look at Dad's Old Recipe but he did slow with Ham Hocks and Fat Backs work it's flavors into the pan. Dad used this restaurant size roasting pan he used for TG Turkeys.

One thing we use to love is stealing the fat backs afterwards since eating them, they melted in your mouth. We also use brown sugar from a certain store in Vermont.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I pre soak the beans overnight then put them together in a Dutch oven with the molasses, mustard, ham hocks, etc.  Then slow cooked for 6-8 hours at 200*.  The more they bake the better they get!  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Have to look at Dad's Old Recipe but he did slow with Ham Hocks and Fat Backs work it's flavors into the pan. Dad used this restaurant size roasting pan he used for TG Turkeys.

One thing we use to love is stealing the fat backs afterwards since eating them, they melted in your mouth. We also use brown sugar from a certain store in Vermont.

12 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I pre soak the beans overnight then put them together in a Dutch oven with the molasses, mustard, ham hocks, etc.  Then slow cooked for 6-8 hours at 200*.  The more they bake the better they get!  

Gentlemen:  I think you are making a gourmet Baked Bean dish that puts my Baked Beans and Wieners seem most plebeian.  Your recipes sound very delicious, though.  Never considered using Ham Hocks.  (My teachers, my Grandmother and Mother, never used those.)    And, I agree with slow cooking for some time provides the best flavors of some foods.  When I make Vegetable Beef Soup or Beef and Noodles or Chicken and Noodles, I slow cook the heck out of the meat to make a stock that is very flavorful.  And, the more fat on the meat, the better!  

31 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Gentlemen:  I think you are making a gourmet Baked Bean dish that puts my Baked Beans and Wieners seem most plebeian.  Your recipes sound very delicious, though.  Never considered using Ham Hocks.  (My teachers, my Grandmother and Mother, never used those.)    And, I agree with slow cooking for some time provides the best flavors of some foods.  When I make Vegetable Beef Soup or Beef and Noodles or Chicken and Noodles, I slow cook the heck out of the meat to make a stock that is very flavorful.  And, the more fat on the meat, the better!  

Everyone in my family, DGM, DM and DMIL all used ham hocks, ham rind, etc. to make their beans.  Sneaking a couple of thick strips of bacon over the top is legal!  

RK…your soup is only as good as your stock.  Slow and long cooking is the key.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Sneaking a couple of thick strips of bacon over the top is legal!  

That is what "my teachers" did.  I would do so as well, but I don't use enough bacon to purchase a package of it.  I suppose I could purchase 2 or 3 strips from the service case of my grocer while the staff member wonders why I want such a small amount.  

11 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

That is what "my teachers" did.  I would do so as well, but I don't use enough bacon to purchase a package of it.  I suppose I could purchase 2 or 3 strips from the service case of my grocer while the staff member wonders why I want such a small amount.  

Hi RK,

Buy a package of bacon and just freeze it.  Take it out of the freezer and put the package in the microwave for 30 seconds, turn the package over, and give it another 30 seconds…until still chilled.  Open the package and take out two or three strips.  Put the package into a zip lock bag and throw it back into the freezer…easy peasy!  

• Thanks 1

On 10/1/2021 at 6:47 AM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Hi RK,

Buy a package of bacon and just freeze it.  Take it out of the freezer and put the package in the microwave for 30 seconds, turn the package over, and give it another 30 seconds…until still chilled.  Open the package and take out two or three strips.  Put the package into a zip lock bag and throw it back into the freezer…easy peasy!  

Thank you for the suggestion.  Never thought of that possibility.  

• Like 1

Thank you for the suggestion.  Never thought of that possibility.  

We put our bread and English muffins in the freezer too.  Just remove a couple slices and heat them in the microwave for 30/seconds…bingo.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/12/2021 at 2:13 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

When I was a child the best hot dog was Howard Johnson’s.  It was a mild dog grilled with a bun that was grilled in butter.  I have to admit that I’m a traditionalist...mustard, relish and minced onion...never ketchup.  This is the way they were done in the area where I grew up.  I could never get used to a steamed hotdog with a steamed bun.  All that being said...a good chili dog or a dog with sauerkraut is always allowed.  

Now...what ship or line would serve me such a dog??

What he said! 

The Best Hot Dog we had was at a New York Franchise Called Nedick's. They were all around NYC and some of the 5 Boro's.

Our closet was in Downtown Brooklyn on the Corner next to the A&S Department Store on Fulton Street.

They served a Beef Hot Dog from the BBQ type of Rotisserie. Served on a Hot Dog Bun like those used for Lobster Rolls with the sides cut off and toasted. They had the tastiest yellow mustard. 

The Best Part was accompanying the Dog with the tastiest Orangeade in a Paper Cone on a Plastic Stand.

Yummy! 

21 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

The Best Hot Dog we had was at a New York Franchise Called Nedick's. They were all around NYC and some of the 5 Boro's.

Our closet was in Downtown Brooklyn on the Corner next to the A&S Department Store on Fulton Street.

They served a Beef Hot Dog from the BBQ type of Rotisserie. Served on a Hot Dog Bun like those used for Lobster Rolls with the sides cut off and toasted. They had the tastiest yellow mustard. 

The Best Part was accompanying the Dog with the tastiest Orangeade in a Paper Cone on a Plastic Stand.

Yummy! 

Add some fresh cut French fries and a chocolate milkshake and that would be just about perfect!