Oceania Extends Final Payment Dates

retafcruiser

My TA sent me the email pushing my final payment into June.  Good move on Oceania's part. Had they left final payment in May, I would cancel.  I will not pay more money out while cruises are not sailing. If things don't improve soon and ports open up, I would predict summer cruises will not happen this year.

I'm thinking this policy is so that they don't have to give any "goodwill compensation" for cruises that are cancelled & have been paid in full. I believe if you have only put down a deposit they just refund it but if you have paid in full they give you 25% extra for the cancellation.

15 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

I'm thinking this policy is so that they don't have to give any "goodwill compensation" for cruises that are cancelled & have been paid in full. I believe if you have only put down a deposit they just refund it but if you have paid in full they give you 25% extra for the cancellation.

I continue the hope O is giving passengers, the CDC (and the virus)  as much time as possible before cancellation is the only viable option.

• Like 3

On 2/17/2021 at 3:20 PM, PaulMCO said:

To me it says most likely no cruises at least through 31 October.

We are booked on an October 28, ‘21 cruise from Tokyo to Singapore. We are more concerned with not being allowed to disembark at various ports than it not sailing at all. I fear that may well be the case, especially in Japan.

I don’t know where RedTravel’s cruise is to. If not out of or into an American port, the CDC doesn’t matter. 

All eyes are on the decision, which has supposedly been promised by 4/1 on when, and under what conditions,  tourism along with cruising can resume there. The rest of the world will watch and follow what occurs there, not a  bumbling CDC that has announced its opposition to any cruises.

6 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I don’t know where RedTravel’s cruise is to. If not out of or into an American port, the CDC doesn’t matter. 

All eyes are on the decision, which has supposedly been promised by 4/1 on when, and under what conditions,  tourism along with cruising can resume there. The rest of the world will watch and follow what occurs there, not a  bumbling CDC that has announced its opposition to any cruises.

I'm a little lost as to what you're talking about. What decision?

On 2/16/2021 at 5:03 PM, retafcruiser said:

I just received an email extending cruise final payment and/or cancellation dates:

IMPORTANT FINAL PAYMENT EXTENSION

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Advisors,

On behalf of your entire Oceania Cruises family, I hope you are doing well and that you are looking forward to your upcoming Oceania Cruises voyage. We know what a great deal of planning goes into a vacation and we are also acutely aware that travelers have many more concerns than they did in the past.

In order to provide you with an extra measure of flexibility and peace of mind, we are amending the final payment due date for all cruises departing through October 31, 2021 to 60 days prior to departure. Additionally, cancellation penalties will not start until the new final payment deadline, at 60 days prior to departure.

Should you have any questions regarding payment or any facet of your Oceania Cruises voyage, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Warmest regards,

Carlos E. Ortega

Vice President of Guest Services 

Okay, I need some input here.  See my bolding above.  I'm sorry if I'm giving you too much detail, but it always seems that if I try to be broad, I end up going into the minutia for someone on the thread.

We had two cruises booked this spring:

• One in May 2021 (just cancelled by Oceania) on Sirena.
  • One on 3 June 2021 on Marina. 

It's not a B2B, we were switching from Sirena to Marina in the port of Southampton the same day.

The May cruise had HEFTY FCC applied from cancelled cruises from May LAST YEAR.

We had already placed additional deposits on replacement cruises booked for Fall 2022 for both itins, ahead of the announcement of May cancellations.  (with me so far?)

Upon the announcement of the cancellation of all May 2021 cruises, I instructed our TA to:

• lift and shift the FCC from the cruise being cancelled to next Fall's bookings
  • cancel the June 2021 cruise (that will  likely be cancelled anyway), and lift and shift that $1500 deposit to next year's cruises.

He responded that we would incur a $500 penalty if we cancel the June cruise now, before Oceania does.

That's not my impression from the quoted letter above.

Thoughts?

21 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

Okay, I need some input here.  See my bolding above.  I'm sorry if I'm giving you too much detail, but it always seems that if I try to be broad, I end up going into the minutia for someone on the thread.

It's not a B2B, we were switching from Sirena to Marina in the port of Southampton the same day.

We had already placed additional deposits on replacement cruises booked for Fall 2022 for both itins, ahead of the announcement of May cancellations.  (with me so far?)

Upon the announcement of the cancellation of all May 2021 cruises, I instructed our TA to:

• lift and shift the FCC from the cruise being cancelled to next Fall's bookings
  • cancel the June 2021 cruise (that will  likely be cancelled anyway), and lift and shift that $1500 deposit to next year's cruises.

He responded that we would incur a $500 penalty if we cancel the June cruise now, before Oceania does.

Thoughts?

Did you ask your TA about the notice, or send him a copy?

3 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Did you ask your TA about the notice, or send him a copy?

Sent him a copy of the original post of this thread.  Have not heard back yet.  Was i in error asking this question before I heard back?  If so, why?

8 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

Sent him a copy of the original post of this thread.  Have not heard back yet.  Was i in error asking this question before I heard back?  If so, why?

No, you weren't in error.  I was just wondering if he had seen it or not, or if he decided that the $250 pp penalty pre-final payment didn't apply.  My reading of the announcement was that it, too, was postponed.

Edited by 1985rz1

Just now, 1985rz1 said:

No, you weren't in error.  I was just wondering if he had not seen it or not, or if he decided that the $250 pp penalty pre-final payment didn't apply.  My reading of the announcement was that it, too, was postponed.

Okay, many thanks. I will post when I hear back, but I was primarily interested in whether my interpretation of the letter was.... unusual.  

5 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

Okay, many thanks. I will post when I hear back, but I was primarily interested in whether my interpretation of the letter was.... unusual.  

I agree, Kate with your interpretation of what he says in the Final Payment Extension. Your agent might not be up to date. Let us know when you hear back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kate-AHF said:

To me it sounded like your TA  did not check the facts

I do not think there is  a penalty according to my interpretation of the letter   but it is Oceania that has the final say

JMO

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/22/2021 at 12:25 PM, Kate-AHF said:

Thoughts?

Oceania cancelled May cruises on 2/16.  Deposit was a substantial FCC, which has been transferred to our cruises booked for Sept/Oct 2022.  Shore-x was already purchased for this cruise, that refund showed up on 3/9... so less than a month.

Based on the letter that was sent to other O cruisers, I asked my TA to look into cancelling our June cruise on 2/24.  His online program still showed a $500 penalty, so he called them with the info I gave to appeal that penalty.  They agreed to manually refund our deposit of $1500.  That refund, along with the shore-x pre-purchased for that cruise showed up on 3/3 (before the May cruise refend).

Quite pleased with the response/refund timeliness.

On 2/22/2021 at 12:03 PM, Kate-AHF said:

Hi has anyone determined if $250 p.p. fee is in place even if final has been moved?

16 minutes ago, thepla said:

Hi has anyone determined if $250 p.p. fee is in place even if final has been moved?

Generally the $250.00 pp is in effect prior to final payment but it is a credit that can be applied to your next Oceania cruise not a lost fee

1 minute ago, basor said:

Generally the $250.00 pp is in effect prior to final payment but it is a credit that can be applied to your next Oceania cruise not a lost fee

Thanks, if final is now 60 not 90 I wonder if that means 250 moves from 120 to 90. I have a July cruise and if it does not seem really high chance of going I have no intentions leave money on table, if I can avoid.

2 minutes ago, thepla said:

Thanks, if final is now 60 not 90 I wonder if that means 250 moves from 120 to 90. I have a July cruise and if it does not seem really high chance of going I have no intentions leave money on table, if I can avoid.

It would be best to ask your TA or Oceania

so many things have changed in the past  year

• Like 1

12 hours ago, thepla said:

BTW Thanks

Hi, TA did call Oceania..  She sent a new itinerary with now a 60 day final. She was told they are waiving admin fee. There has not been a decision on if they cancel (either FCC + 25% / refund or just option for refund)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thepla said:

Hi, TA did call Oceania..  She sent a new itinerary with now a 60 day final. She was told they are waiving admin fee. There has not been a decision on if they cancel (either FCC + 25% / refund or just option for refund)

It will be intesting if they do offer the additional 25%:

"It may have escaped notice by some that Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings stopped offering future cruise credits 'since fall at least,' President and CEO Frank Del Rio said.

Anne Kalosh | Feb 25, 2021

Now, when cruises are canceled, everyone gets a cash refund. (Unless they paid for a suspended sailing with an FCC; then the refund goes back to them in the form of an FCC.)

'There is no choice; you get your money back,' Del Rio told analysts on Thursday, adding that the company has the liquidity, and FCCs are dilutive to future business since they include a 25% premium."

I was just talking to a sales rep at Oceania and was told the following

1.  Oceania will resume cruises last quarter of this year

2.  No ruling yet if you will only be allowed off the ship if you take Oceania tours

3. no ruling if you want to organize private tours

i got the feeling from my telephone call that all cruises will be cancelled up to September 30 but I may be wrong in my feeling 

We have an 18 day cruise booked for Dec 1 2021.  I wish they would extend final payment for the cruises the rest of this year since we lose money if we cancel less than 6 months in advance.  We really want to take this cruise but pushing us into making a payment decision so early may force us to cancel.  If final payment was 60 days before hopefully we wont have to cancel.  

1 hour ago, Lorna Doone said:

We have an 18 day cruise booked for Dec 1 2021.  I wish they would extend final payment for the cruises the rest of this year since we lose money if we cancel less than 6 months in advance.

How do you lose money if you cancel in advance?