New Ship Name Revealed tomorrow 18/2/21

cruisefan2012

3 hours ago, joeecco said:

Your? I wish it was my ship, I’d love to own one hahaha! 

I don’t think P&O will sway from ending the name in A with a sister ship. 

I never noticed before that all P&O ships ended with the letter A.

36 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

They could also reinvent Adonia. 

Avril

In Ancient Sanskrit, doni means ‘ruler of the world’. Stick an A on either end and you have a P&O ship that rules the world. 

I can’t see them calling such a large ship after a much loved tiny ship. May alienate too many of those who prefer small ships to large ones (not that most of them would travel on it).

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, pete14 said:

In Ancient Sanskrit, doni means ‘ruler of the world’. Stick an A on either end and you have a P&O ship that rules the world. 

I can’t see them calling such a large ship after a much loved tiny ship. May alienate too many of those who prefer small ships to large ones (not that most of them would travel on it).

Adonis came to P&O after a spell as Royal Princess.  Soon after the Britannia look alike of Royal Princess was born and was considered very big then.  That size difference was no problem to Carnival Corporation.

I would guess at Adonia.  The word means a festival held to celebrate the life of the Greek god  of beauty and desire who was called Adonis.

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Oriana is a name everyone associates with P&O and wouldn't be the first time a name has been reinvented.

NO, NO, NO, NO! Oriana was a beautiful, elegant ship of classic proportions. This will be a floating fun palace. Just my opinion folks, I know and fully accept there are other completely valid opinions...

Oriana, like Canberra before her had a lot of loyal fans. I don't think they will want to upset us so soon...

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

I have never heard of that ship to be honest with you. Only been into cruising for about 6 years.

Artemis was the first ship we sailed on in 2005. She was sold a few years later and became Artania (I think) and is still sailing.

• Like 1

Been thinking further about this and for what its worth, this is where it took me. The two new ships are, pardon the pun, a sea-change for P&O. They are designed specifically to attract a new breed of P&O cruiser. As such, I don't think they have chosen to bring back a previously used name - they will want to look forward, not backwards. I think they will have picked a fresh name that is punchy and might resonate more with 30-somethings. Because of this, I don't think it will be a name that is obviously classical. Of those mentioned above, Luna could be a possibility, especially as it is the name of the Roman goddess of the moon and so would balance with Aurora, goddess of the dawn. But that may be too subtle for P&O.

Of course, Iona was a complete curve-ball that bore no links at all to what P&O said when they announced the competition to name her.

Just my thoughts and of course, I may well be way off beam...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Artemis was the first ship we sailed on in 2005. She was sold a few years later and became Artania (I think) and is still sailing.

I have never heard of it. Who bought it from P&O? I know the Adonia is part of Azamara now isn't it?

26 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

I have never heard of it. Who bought it from P&O? I know the Adonia is part of Azamara now isn't it?

She is now owned by Phoenix Reisen, a German cruise line. As Pete14 said above, her name now is Artania.

• Like 3

When we started looking seriously at P&O after taking a few cruises with other lines, having several ships beginning with A used to confuse and annoy me ..... Artemis, Adonia, Arcadia, Aurora, Azura at the time. I had to remember then which were family ships, which were adult only etc. I soon got the hang of it but but as Britboys mentioned above, if they’re trying to attract new, younger cruisers, it makes sense to go for something different and distinct. 

Edited by Ardennais
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

You don't think that naming Iona might have upset countless other Scottish, or even English, Welsh or Irish, islanders?

Not sure how often Iona is likely to be calling at various small Hebridean, Shetland, or other Celtic islands, and thus causing offence . Not really a valid comparison. 

Having said that, my critique was slightly tongue in cheek, but I think it highly unlikely that P&O will choose to name their new flag ship after a small Caribbean island.

2 hours ago, Britboys said:

NO, NO, NO, NO! Oriana was a beautiful, elegant ship of classic proportions. This will be a floating fun palace. Just my opinion folks, I know and fully accept there are other completely valid opinions...

Oriana, like Canberra before her had a lot of loyal fans. I don't think they will want to upset us so soon...

I agree. I think it would be very unwise to re-use the name of a recently retired small ship that is held in great affection by P&O traditionalists. Maybe one from the long lost past, but not Oriana / Oceana / Adonia - all still too fresh in people’s minds. It’s going to be critically important how P&O now position these new ships. They were clearly designed with the previously booming ‘new to cruising market’ in mind but, post Covid, that market is going to take a lot more convincing to try their first cruise, so P&O will need to appeal to the traditionalists as well, especially if the future of the remaining smaller ships is looking less and less certain as each month of suspension passes. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Not sure how often Iona is likely to be calling at various small Hebridean, Shetland, or other Celtic islands, and thus causing offence . Not really a valid comparison. 

Having said that, my critique was slightly tongue in cheek, but I think it highly unlikely that P&O will choose to name their new flag ship after a small Caribbean island.

So do I,

1 minute ago, Selbourne said:

I agree. I think it would be very unwise to re-use the name of a recently retired small ship that is held in great affection by P&O traditionalists. Maybe one from the long lost past, but not Oriana / Oceana / Adonia - all still too fresh in people’s minds. It’s going to be critically important how P&O now position these new ships. They were clearly designed with the previously booming ‘new to cruising market’ in mind but, post Covid, that market is going to take a lot more convincing to try their first cruise, so P&O will need to appeal to the traditionalists as well, especially if could the future of the remaining smaller ships is looking less and less certain as each month of suspension passes. 

You could be right, but Arcadia was named after a very recently retired older ship, and at the time she was definitely a major change for P&O, being their first of the new breed of ships with more balconies than anything else.  Who knows P&O might think such a name could encourage some of their traditional cruisers to give her a try.

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Who knows P&O might think such a name could encourage some of their traditional cruisers to give her a try.

I'm not sure any name will change the minds of those who like smaller ships, fixed dining times, formal evenings etc. (And I'd include myself in that category). 

The can call the ship "The Dog's Dodahs" , but it will not change people's perceptions. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I'm not sure any name will change the minds of those who like smaller ships, fixed dining times, formal evenings etc. (And I'd include myself in that category). 

The can call the ship "The Dog's Dodahs" , but it will not change people's perceptions. 

That doesn't end in A!🤣

There is also the possibly the chance you might take a page from the white star line and classic boats to sail in history and call it the Aquitania or one of the old white star Cunard ships Mauretania.

Or if you are going for a different group of P&O people bit younger then maybe the Fantasia or Republica.