Princess 2022-2023

GUT2407

21 minutes ago, Ondine said:

At least we get a different ship.  Grand Princess.  Must look up her deck plans so I know where to book.

She is standard Grand Class, like Golden etc. She was first of the grand class, launched in 1998. 

I might have misread but I thought Coral was doing 2022 and 2023 worldies?

Edited by NSWP

I think Coral is doing the worldies out of Brisbane.  Grand is sailing out of Melbourne and Adelaide.

Just looked her over.   Only 12 covered mini suites on Emerald.  Uncovered on Dolphin.  Grand does not have the lovely Skywalkers night club but a smaller multi space area on deck 15.  Think she may have been the first of the Grand class.  1998  Yes the oldies for us but she only takes 2600 pas so that is ok.  Not too big.  She was the ship that had the bad outbreak over in the States and they would not let come in.  Think she eventually had to unload the passengers at a military base.  Perhaps they think we won't know about that.  

She would be a good fit for P&O if they go for a fourth ship.

21 minutes ago, LC1950 said:

And the Grand has window suites like the Golden had.  Whilst on the Golden a few years ago I peeped into one while it was being cleaned ... it looked very noyce, very spacious!

A friend of mine booked an 'obstructed ocean view' and was allocated a window suite on the Grand. She invited me to the cabin to pick up something and I was stunned when I walked into the cabin. She hadn't mentioned the up-grade.

We have just registered an interest in Coral P's  W.C 2023.... great ports and reasonably priced.... our last hoorah as Elite pax with Princess me thinks..... one thing we have learned over the last year is life is for living.... full stop....😉😁😁😁

• Like 3

12 hours ago, badgerbill said:

We have just registered an interest in Coral P's  W.C 2023.... great ports and reasonably priced.... our last hoorah as Elite pax with Princess me thinks..... one thing we have learned over the last year is life is for living.... full stop....😉😁😁😁

Reasonably priced? You are surely jocular.

Very disappointed    what happen to the Sapphire ? interieries same same.... prices up a bit....

Melbourne   the after thought of cruising....

I fear we could have taken our last cruise with Princess..

Have one book in Nov 2021   but not looking good...  so say goodbye to the FCD...

Is Don  is now not so good

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Very disappointed    what happen to the Sapphire ? interieries same same.... prices up a bit....

Have one book in Nov 2021   but not looking good...  so say goodbye to the FCD...

I feel the same. Melbourne is like an afterthought. 

Grand is such a tired old ship too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

I'm disappointed too Don, that Princess are sending the Grand, their oldest ship to sail from Melbourne. The cruises are not all that interesting, what happened to Tasmania? And more expensive.

Oh well, perhaps have to fly interstate if we want to sail Princess. Sailing on the grand doesn't really interest me.

Leigh

35 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I actually thought prices looked about the same as last year. But current prices are only from bottom of category, the test will come when I start looking at accessible balconies.

Are you doing the 2023 Worldie Gut, you need a spare $100,000 for two mate, plus shorex and booze, make it 140k lol.

2 hours ago, icat2000 said:

I feel the same. Melbourne is like an afterthought. 

Grand is such a tired old ship too.

That is why we got it, when the Americans have finished with the oldies, we get them.  Nothing new. We were on Grand in 2009, the Med. They took the skywalkers pram handle off some years ago. I like the pram handle on the Grand Class.

Edited by NSWP

17 minutes ago, NSWP said:

That is why we got it, when the Americans have finished with the oldies, we get them.

Like Sun and Sea. They had their faults, but they were good ships. Maybe getting a little unreliable with age.

19 minutes ago, NSWP said:

They took the skywalkers pram handle off some years ago. I like the pram handle on the Grand Class.

It was too heavy and sat the stern down too much. I think the later Grand ships used aluminium on the upper structures instead of steel to solve this problem. I don't know if Princess got a refund from their naval architect.

59 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Like Sun and Sea. They had their faults, but they were good ships. Maybe getting a little unreliable with age.

It was too heavy and sat the stern down too much. I think the later Grand ships used aluminium on the upper structures instead of steel to solve this problem. I don't know if Princess got a refund from their naval architect.

It gave good shade to the aft pool deck below.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

That is why we got it, when the Americans have finished with the oldies, we get them.  Nothing new. We were on Grand in 2009, the Med. They took the skywalkers pram handle off some years ago. I like the pram handle on the Grand Class.

We liked Skywalkers on the Golden Princess. I think it was the Golden. Skywalkers is a lovely quiet spot during the day. Hardly anyone went there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Are you doing the 2023 Worldie Gut, you need a spare $100,000 for two mate, plus shorex and booze, make it 140k lol.

Whilst I would love to do a W/C there would be a few issues

1. Travel Insurance

2. Some of the medications I am on are, let’s just say, frowned upon in many countries

3. And most importantly I can’t be away from Maxy for that long.