First Large Cruise Line to Require Passenger Vaccination

3 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Here for the comments.

I guess we will see who is ready to cruise and who is ready to take a break from cruising.

It will be interesting to see how soon the other major lines join in, especially if it becomes apparent that the 2021 season isn't going to start as envisioned.  I know in areas of NY and NJ, barring a miracle, the first phase of vaccination won't be complete until Oct/Nov. Winter sailings may be the the new (but probably silent) projection for cruises to resume from ports in the States other than Florida.

While they really do not cater to families their FAQ’s specifically state that there are no exceptions to the vaccine rule.  This includes kids who are not old enough to receive it or people who cannot get it for medical reasons. 

A negative PCR  test will still be required. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Interesting but Crystal is not a mainstream cruise line. I don't think I would call Crystal large. They have two cruise ships.

I think it's more like 9 ships: Endeavor, Serenity, Symphony, Esprit, Debussy, Ravel, Bach, Mahler, and Mozart are shown. Whereas, I agree there are only two ocean going, the point is ALL of their fleet will require that ALL passengers be vaccinated.

Edited by MaritimeR&R
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank goodness.  I've taken three vacations with Covid restrictions, and while they've been okay they are not anywhere near the normal experience.  I can't imagine cruising w/ masks, social distancing, blah, blah, blah and am hoping the vaccines will allow those of us who want a normal vacation to have it.  I'll take the test if necessary because that won't interfere w/ my vacation.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MaritimeR&R said:

I think it's more like 9 ships.

I don't count river boats as cruise ships. With two cruise ships and some river cruise boats they are not a large cruise line. They are a small cruise line.

Edited by Charles4515

8 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I don't count river boats as cruise ships. With two cruise ships and some river cruise boats they are not a large cruise line. They are a small cruise line.

Take it up with Forbes - it's their evaluation/headline.

3 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Forbes' headline says "large ship cruise line" while yours is "large cruise line"

Pardon my typo- missed the compound adjective. However, the article was here to clarify any mistake on my part.  

Edited by MaritimeR&R

10 minutes ago, MaritimeR&R said:

Pardon my typo- missed the compound adjective. However, the article was here to clarify any mistake on my part.  

I do think that Crystal and Saga, Saga also has two large ships, so Crystal was not the first with large ships,  could portend a vaccination requirement. Both those lines are niche cruise lines. Certainly mainstream cruise lines are thinking about it.  I personally would favor Royal Caribbean having a vaccination requirement. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 5

25 minutes ago, edspec said:

Thank goodness.  I've taken three vacations with Covid restrictions, and while they've been okay they are not anywhere near the normal experience.  I can't imagine cruising w/ masks, social distancing, blah, blah, blah and am hoping the vaccines will allow those of us who want a normal vacation to have it.  I'll take the test if necessary because that won't interfere w/ my vacation.

It's always a good idea to read the entire article and not just the headline. Masks and social distancing will still be in effect. 

"Crystal Cruises’ new vaccine requirement is part of the line’s Clean+ 4.0 measures, which requires a negative Covid test for both guests and crew prior to embarkation, temperature checks at the terminal prior to boarding, mask and social distancing guidelines, enhanced cleaning and disinfection measures and reduced capacity. Guests will need to provide proof of vaccination before boarding."

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

I do think that Crystal and Saga, Saga also has two large ships could portend a vaccination requirement. Both those lines are niche cruise lines. Certainly mainstream cruise lines are thinking about it.  I personally would favor Royal Caribbean having a vaccination requirement. 

So would I.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Why does “size matter” when it comes to cruising and vaccine requirements. I agree more people possible on the larger ships but getting infected is largely the same. 

M8

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

Here for the comments.

I guess we will see who is ready to cruise and who is ready to take a break from cruising.

1 hour ago, Yorkvillain said:

Ha. Same here. This should be fun. 

34 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Me too

Say what?  My kids can't sail😇

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Why does “size matter” when it comes to cruising and vaccine requirements. I agree more people possible on the larger ships but getting infected is largely the same. 

M8

Crystal and Saga are niche cruise lines with limited capacity to fill. Their demographic is most likely to get vaccinated without hesitation and want fellow passengers to be vaccinated. The mainstream cruise lines have many more berths they have to fill. 

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Crystal and Saga are niche cruise lines with limited capacity to fill. Their demographic is most likely to get vaccinated without hesitation and want fellow passengers to be vaccinated. The mainstream cruise lines have many more berths they have to fill. 

Great point but “capacity “ and how much of that may/can be utilized and for how long, remains to be seen. 

M8