The Final Shot

jetsfan58

3 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Wow.  You want to go off topic from the off-topic discussion of slanted journalism back to returning to cruising?  What do you think this is, a website about cruising?

Perhaps we can have a journalist do a story about to getting the vaccine so we can get back to cruising which of course will lead to the need for weight loss.   😄

On 3/19/2021 at 3:51 PM, SelectSys said:

will provide you with my opinion which is somewhat different than a definition.

This is superb writing and thinking. Thank you so much.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2021 at 6:12 PM, ilikeanswers said:

... I have found many smaller sites that do a great journalism and give detailed explanations on events far better than mainstream media. So maybe it is all a bit of give and take.

Personally I'm not a believer in objective journalism. I don't think any writer can be truly objective, it is the reader who I think needs to be more open minded... I think this is why journalism gets dumbed down because if you look in depth into any thing it becomes contradictory and won't fit into a neatly defined boxes and with readers seeking echo chambers who is willing to inflame them with complicated explanations🙄

Totally agree with you that one can find better journalism and explanations outside the traditional, "mainstream media."  Maybe that's part of their issue.  The traditional media is being outmaneuvered by more nimble competitors.

I have no problem with subjective  journalism.  It's simply the portrayal of something subjective as objective that I have a problem with.  I think the UK and Australia are better in this regard as people are raised to expect more subjectivism in media than they are in the US.  Until Rupert Murdoch came to the US, it seemed TV was a single monolith in terms of presentation.

On 3/19/2021 at 7:37 PM, lenquixote66 said:

In my opinion print journalism is passé...

They literally give out free papers to residents be cause very few people buy them.  The majority of the news is on the internet.  One of my closest s friends from high school publishes an internet blog read in 72 countries.

He writes about politics, entertainment and history. I read the blog every week.I also read other on line news.

Print as a form of distribution seems to be dead.  Those tied to print are struggling.  Traditional TV and Cable are also struggling.  It's always hard for an existing organization to deal with such fundamental change and thrive.  

Like you, I also consume pretty much everything via the internet whether in print or a stream.  I still prefer to read rather than watch a stream - I guess I am too old!

7 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

Totally agree with you that one can find better journalism and explanations outside the traditional, "mainstream media."  Maybe that's part of their issue.  The traditional media is being outmaneuvered by more nimble competitors.

I have no problem with subjective  journalism.  It's simply the portrayal of something subjective as objective that I have a problem with.  I think the UK and Australia are better in this regard as people are raised to expect more subjectivism in media than they are in the US.  Until Rupert Murdoch came to the US, it seemed TV was a single monolith in terms of presentation.

Print as a form of distribution seems to be dead.  Those tied to print are struggling.  Traditional TV and Cable are also struggling.  It's always hard for an existing organization to deal with such fundamental change and thrive.  

Like you, I also consume pretty much everything via the internet whether in print or a stream.  I still prefer to read rather than watch a stream - I guess I am too old!

I too prefer to read and most likely I am older than you 😀

2 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I too prefer to read and most likely I am older than you 😀

Yes, based on some of your posts you are likely older.  I am curious what type of journalism/media you were involved with if you don't mind me asking?

7 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

Yes, based on some of your posts you are likely older.  I am curious what type of journalism/media you were involved with if you don't mind me asking?

I initially worked for a publication that you likely never heard of ,Crusader Magazine .Later on Life Magazine ,then some free lance.