Sky Suite selection

tfred

Can't get the Sky Suite idea out of my brain on a 2022 Baltic cruise.  Seems to be a few choices on Apex and I am having a difficult time determine if it is better to spend more - $100 more for each level up of the 3 sky suite levels

any thoughts on which of the levels and what cabins are better choices?  Looking for smooth ride less noise.  Is the Magic carpet a concern?

The S3 suites are all on the Starboard side and are located between the rails of the Magic  Carpet.  I’m not sure if the rails would obstruct the view.  Some of the S1 suites are on the aft corners and are very popular.  We choose a port side S2 

near mid ship.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tfred said:

Can't get the Sky Suite idea out of my brain on a 2022 Baltic cruise.  Seems to be a few choices on Apex and I am having a difficult time determine if it is better to spend more - $100 more for each level up of the 3 sky suite levels

any thoughts on which of the levels and what cabins are better choices?  Looking for smooth ride less noise.  Is the Magic carpet a concern?

Stayed in EDGE S3 8200, I highly recommend, it is between the magic carpet rails.  Caused zero issues ever, very large balcony, 100+ SF, awesome window on one end with great forward facing view.  Had breakfast here almost everyday, loved it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Stayed in EDGE S3 11160.  The magic carpet rails definitely blocked the view.  Do NOT recommend.  Really wished we had paid the small upgrade fee for S2 on port side.

Do you think it was because you were on an upper level deck, close to where they park the MC?

No, it was the basic design of the S3s within the Magic Carpet rails – plus the most forward ones have a HUGE metal cabinet in the outer front corner:1.thumb.jpg.ca14c7caf10090e67a74ae88c3bfa9ea.jpg

The top deck only makes it slightly worse, in that when the MC is parked above you there are daggers pointing down:

2.thumb.jpg.211958b95451e28cbb2c9a8a61ab8120.jpg

3 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

No, it was the basic design of the S3s within the Magic Carpet rails – plus the most forward ones have a HUGE metal cabinet in the outer front corner.  The top deck only makes it slight worse, in that when the MC is parked above you there are daggers pointing down.1.thumb.jpg.ca14c7caf10090e67a74ae88c3bfa9ea.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.211958b95451e28cbb2c9a8a61ab8120.jpg

Honestly, the cabinet did not bother us at all, we had the forward window and the open view over the rail as well.  As I said, MC for us being on deck 8 never saw the daggers.  Seems the trick is to get one of these on deck 10 or so and below.  Again we loved it and would book again in a second, we actually did on APEX May 2020, but we know how that worked out.

25 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Honestly, the cabinet did not bother us at all, we had the forward window and the open view over the rail as well.  As I said, MC for us being on deck 8 never saw the daggers.  Seems the trick is to get one of these on deck 10 or so and below.  Again we loved it and would book again in a second, we actually did on APEX May 2020, but we know how that worked out.

I'm glad the cabinet didn't bother you.  I'll let the picture speak for itself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I'm glad the cabinet didn't bother you.  I'll let the picture speak for itself.

We considered the S3, glad we went for a S2 that  cabinet  would have bugged me.  That’s for posting the photos.

• Like 4

We've sailed with an aft cabin on several ships.  It's our preferred view so we booked the S1 aft facing suite on our Apex cruise.  There's just something about watching the wake when you're sailing that we really enjoy.  Also if you dock facing the correct way, the views are really fantastic.  We had that in Bermuda.

But it really boils down to your personal preference and whether you want to pay extra for the different view.  The S1 corner aft suits also don't have the infinity "balcony" but a real one.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

We've sailed with an aft cabin on several ships.  It's our preferred view so we booked the S1 aft facing suite on our Apex cruise.  There's just something about watching the wake when you're sailing that we really enjoy.  Also if you dock facing the correct way, the views are really fantastic.  We had that in Bermuda.

But it really boils down to your personal preference and whether you want to pay extra for the different view.  The S1 corner aft suits also don't have the infinity "balcony" but a real one.

I find those aft facing suites fascinating just for the view as well.  Are there any downsides to that cabin?  People looking over the top, exhaust fumes drifting down etc?

20 minutes ago, tfred said:

I find those aft facing suites fascinating just for the view as well.  Are there any downsides to that cabin?  People looking over the top, exhaust fumes drifting down etc?

I've only had one XX S class ship where there was some soot but a quick wipe of the chairs helped.  No problem on other ships.  regarding people looking over the top, I had clothes on. I used to look down from my railing at others below. lol  It's no biggie. I found the extra cost worth the difference.

The only down side being AFT is some people complain about the long walk to the elevator.  I never found it that long. 

aft wake.jpg

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tfred said:

We didn’t have any problems like that on our two sailings in aft S1's on the Edge. Love those suites.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2021 at 9:08 AM, ChucktownSteve said:

I've only had one XX S class ship where there was some soot but a quick wipe of the chairs helped.  No problem on other ships.  regarding people looking over the top, I had clothes on. I used to look down from my railing at others below. lol  It's no biggie. I found the extra cost worth the difference.

The only down side being AFT is some people complain about the long walk to the elevator.  I never found it that long. 

aft wake.jpg

took your advice - booked the S1 aft cabin on Apex

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tfred said:

took your advice - booked the S1 aft cabin on Apex

I hope you will enjoy the aft view as much as we have on several ships. My DW's favorite was aft through the Panama Canal.  Mine, besides the wake, was when we were docked in Bermuda. I've attached a panoramic picture of the view from the Summit aft cabin.  The other pics are of Pina Colada, who hitched a ride on our balcony, enjoying the wake with me.

We have an Apex S1 aft corner booked next February.  Can't wait.  Our first XX suite too.

Bermuda Panoramic.jpg

Sunset heading into Bermuda w Pina.jpg

Pina Colada enjoying the view.JPG

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Thanks 1