Ships and stabilizers

zitsky

2 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Was reading a CC article about motion sickness.  It said ships with stabilizers are better.  Do all ships in the X fleet have stabilizers?  I am trying an aft cabin on my next cruise.  Just curious.

All modern cruise ships have stabilizers.

They only work to minimize roll (left to right motion) but not pitch (up and down forward and aft motion).  

Motion you will receive in an aft cabin will more than likely be pitch than roll, so stabilizers have less effect there.  Here is a graphic of the physics.

image.png.7fd59439ba6af622340d2e292f047b1d.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Yes, all modern cruise ships have stabilizers. If motion sickness is an issue, you should be looking for a cabin midship on a lower deck where there is much less movement.

Yes I know about midship versus fore/aft.  A few of the cabin reviews said there was not much motion in aft cabins (on Infinity) on deck 11.  We are trying an experiment booking an aft cabin for the first time.  We will have meclizine (Bonine) and ginger candy.

Was just curious about stabilizers and how they work.

12 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Yes I know about midship versus fore/aft.  A few of the cabin reviews said there was not much motion in aft cabins (on Infinity) on deck 11.  We are trying an experiment booking an aft cabin for the first time.  We will have meclizine (Bonine) and ginger candy.

Was just curious about stabilizers and how they work.

I would not take a few cruiser's opinions of aft movement as gospel.  Obviously, depends a lot on weather, location and other factors.  Sailing there in the Caribbean on a calm day is nothing like being there in the Atlantic with weather.  Also, the higher up you are in the aft, the more pronounced the effects will be.

We've sailed in aft cabins more than a dozen times and love them.  But there is a much better chance that you will experience movement there than midship and lower.  We've had nights and days that were very peaceful and nights and days that were, shall we say, "active."

• Like 1

We're (maybe) doing a Med/Atlantic in November.  So I suppose there could be unwanted motion.

Lots of mid ship AQ cabins to choose from....  just need to pick something quiet.  I thought deck 11 aft would be more quiet than deck 9 midship.  (Pool, buffet and spa above.)

Edited by zitsky

Our first cruise in 1991 was QE2 Southampton to New York and we had an inside midship cabin on deck 4. One day the swell (in June) was so bad about one third of the crew failed to show for breakfast, when the ship dipped all we saw was sea and when it rose it was only sky.

The only time on deck was leaving Southampton and arriving New York!!

We have done a great number of cruises since only came close to that experience once between Tasmania and Sydney, we still love cruising.

The some of the aft deck 11 cabins  on the M Class experience  vibration/ noise 

from the movies being shown on deck 12.  

We have stayed in 2 of the 5 aft facing cabins on Deck 11 and could hear the movie clearly on the balcony and, depending on the movie being shown, feel the  vibration in the cabin.  Not a problem for sleeping at night because the movies ended by 10.

2 minutes ago, jelayne said:

The some of the aft deck 11 cabins  on the M Class experience  vibration/ noise 

from the movies being shown on deck 12.  

We have stayed in 2 of the 5 aft facing cabins on Deck 11 and could hear the movie clearly on the balcony and, depending on the movie being shown, feel the  vibration in the cabin.  Not a problem for sleeping at night because the movies ended by 10.

And they have the larger balconies!

We've never stayed in an aft cabin, but we have had cabins all the way forward, under the Bridge.  We did sometimes feel the motion there (which we happen to love, but that's just us).

As others have said, midships, and as low as possible, gives the least movement.  That's why a ship's medical center is always located there.

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

We've never stayed in an aft cabin, but we have had cabins all the way forward, under the Bridge.  We did sometimes feel the motion there (which we happen to love, but that's just us).

As others have said, midships, and as low as possible, gives the least movement.  That's why a ship's medical center is always located there.

I enjoy the motion and don't mind it as much as my husband does.  

Our prefered cabin is at the aft, love looking at the wake.  however as mentioned there is significant movement at times. Even in what appears to be calm seas there will be a swell running which also may cause significant discomfort. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

This.

But we love the motion so we stay up higher. and will stay at any end of the ship.  IMHO our Med cruises were too tame even though we were port hopping avoiding a storm.

Trying an expedition size ship in Dec.  i would expect location might matter there more on the smaller ship.

We were in a Sunset Veranda on Silhouette on 7th Floor on a 9 night cruise. Never really noticed any movement so to speak. I’m pretty sensitive to motion and I just get those motion patches (transderm patch) you put behind your ears and I’m fine. I think one of the roughest we’ve been on was our first cruise in 2010 on Ruby Princess.

Go fiquire! 

10 minutes ago, cheeseheads4ever said:

We were in a Sunset Veranda on Silhouette on 7th Floor on a 9 night cruise. Never really noticed any movement so to speak. I’m pretty sensitive to motion and I just get those motion patches (transderm patch) you put behind your ears and I’m fine. I think one of the roughest we’ve been on was our first cruise in 2010 on Ruby Princess.

Go fiquire! 

Thanks.  I'm not familiar with all the cabins.  Was yours aft or midship?

4 hours ago, zitsky said:

We're (maybe) doing a Med/Atlantic in November.  So I suppose there could be unwanted motion.

Lots of mid ship AQ cabins to choose from....  just need to pick something quiet.  I thought deck 11 aft would be more quiet than deck 9 midship.  (Pool, buffet and spa above.)

For motion - you need to have a Magic 8 Ball to predict the weather.  Did a cruise to Antarctica and the Falkland Islands.  Ocean was like glass for 14 days.  The week before there were 70mph winds and cruise ships rerouted.  

Everyone is different.  Grandson was green before our Alaska cruise left the bay in Seward.  Only time I was ever sea sick was on a destroyer in a typhoon.  That said have had 2 cruises out of about 25 where we experienced significant motion except when docking.

14 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

For motion - you need to have a Magic 8 Ball to predict the weather.  Did a cruise to Antarctica and the Falkland Islands.  Ocean was like glass for 14 days.  The week before there were 70mph winds and cruise ships rerouted.  

Everyone is different.  Grandson was green before our Alaska cruise left the bay in Seward.  Only time I was ever sea sick was on a destroyer in a typhoon.  That said have had 2 cruises out of about 25 where we experienced significant motion except when docking.

Oh thanks I understand.  We did a South America cruise that had good days and bad days.  Even made it to the Falklands.   That was one of the good days.

We have been in aft cabin a few times.   It can be nauseous because of the sometime fishtail effect.   This is the constant wiggle or jiggle from side to side similar to a vibration.   

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

13 hours ago, zitsky said:

Was reading a CC article about motion sickness.  It said ships with stabilizers are better.  Do all ships in the X fleet have stabilizers?  I am trying an aft cabin on my next cruise.  Just curious.

If you are truly worried about motion sickness, even with stabilizers, an aft cabin might not be your best option.  As someone who suffers from severe motion sickness if I don't book a cabin in the middle of the ship with the bed positioned in the specific direction that, if I am lying in bed, my body is moving forward like I was driving my car (even with taking Dramamine) I always go sick. 

Thank goodness for the S-class thread that has enabled me to always book the correct cabin. 

Edited by Loracpin2