Caribbean Cobbler

neeko

Celebrity served this drinks for years in the main dining room. I notice that it not on any Celebrity menu now. Does anyone know how to make one? I do have the list of ingredients but not sure of the exact measurements. 

The menu lists.... Caribbean cobbler - remy vsop cognac, mount gay extra old rum, amontillado sherry, lemon juice, simple syrup and bitters $9

You'll need to play with your proportions though😎🍸🍾🍹🍷

41 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

I never liked those Caribbean menus when on track. I am more into classical European type of menu with Lasangna, some beef, cognac and etc. I am not that of an exotic food lover kind of person

I think Caribbean Cobbler is a cocktail not food

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, groryjm said:

The menu lists.... Caribbean cobbler - remy vsop cognac, mount gay extra old rum, amontillado sherry, lemon juice, simple syrup and bitters $9

You'll need to play with your proportions though😎🍸🍾🍹🍷

You need to start an early next cruise log with daily cocktails...by the time we all actually cruise again we will be experts!

• Like 1

This one got my attention for some reason. Possibly because the first thing I thought when I saw the thread title was who's getting shoes repaired in the Caribbean? 😁

Google can be fun. The Cobbler is supposedly one of the oldest cocktails out there. Originally made with sherry, and usually with fruit (I think berries). NOT muddled! Kind of an interesting story.

For the OP, just looking at the mix, I'd start by trying:

1.5 oz Rum

0.5 oz Cognac

1.5 oz Sherry

1.0 oz lemon juice

0.5-1.0 oz Simple Sugar

Shot of bitters

Most of the recipes I've seen online go for 3-4 total ounces of liquor, BUT, sherry is around 14% ABV and the others are 40-45%. If you go too heavy on rum and cognac, you're going to have a total alcohol bomb. For the traditional Cobbler with sherry, you could go 4 ounces and not have a crazy drink. I'm guessing the drink was rum heavy on board, and I'm also guessing almost no one could actually taste the cognac for the rum and sherry. I probably wouldn't go for more than 2 ounces total of rum and cognac for a standard sized drink. There are versions online that are pure sherry, pure whiskey or bourbon, pure rum, and some mix of a couple of liquors. Some with a fruit juice, and some without.

You'll have to play with the proportions and balance of flavors to see what comes close to what you remember. I'm thinking the sherry is going to play like a vermouth in a Manhattan, so that's probably what I'd vary first if it's not close.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, markeb said:

This one got my attention for some reason. Possibly because the first thing I thought when I saw the thread title was who's getting shoes repaired in the Caribbean? 😁

Google can be fun. The Cobbler is supposedly one of the oldest cocktails out there. Originally made with sherry, and usually with fruit (I think berries). NOT muddled! Kind of an interesting story.

For the OP, just looking at the mix, I'd start by trying:

1.5 oz Rum

0.5 oz Cognac

1.5 oz Sherry

1.0 oz lemon juice

0.5-1.0 oz Simple Sugar

Shot of bitters

Most of the recipes I've seen online go for 3-4 total ounces of liquor, BUT, sherry is around 14% ABV and the others are 40-45%. If you go too heavy on rum and cognac, you're going to have a total alcohol bomb. For the traditional Cobbler with sherry, you could go 4 ounces and not have a crazy drink. I'm guessing the drink was rum heavy on board, and I'm also guessing almost no one could actually taste the cognac for the rum and sherry. I probably wouldn't go for more than 2 ounces total of rum and cognac for a standard sized drink. There are versions online that are pure sherry, pure whiskey or bourbon, pure rum, and some mix of a couple of liquors. Some with a fruit juice, and some without.

You'll have to play with the proportions and balance of flavors to see what comes close to what you remember. I'm thinking the sherry is going to play like a vermouth in a Manhattan, so that's probably what I'd vary first if it's not close.

4 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

We are going to try some cherry juice from a jar of maraschino cherries tonight—just a splash

A favourite cocktail of mine is a Bakewell Tart Sour ....30ml Cognac, 30ml Disaronno Amaretto, 30ml Maraschino cherry juice, 15ml lemon juice, 1 dash Angostura bitters

23.jpg

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

We went with a splash of pineapple juice and the recipe posted above.  Very nice.

Were the proportions about right? I was really wagging just thinking about taste and alcohol content!

Pineapple juice would be an interesting twist. Actually sounds a little more tropical than lemon, and probably wouldn't need as much simple sugar...

1 hour ago, groryjm said:

A favourite cocktail of mine is a Bakewell Tart Sour ....30ml Cognac, 30ml Disaronno Amaretto, 30ml Maraschino cherry juice, 15ml lemon juice, 1 dash Angostura bitters

23.jpg

That sounds strangely yummy! Other than using a lot of Maraschino syrup. Looking to see if I can find that on its own...

Edited by markeb

3 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

I never had that drink on board a ship, but what we made was pretty tasty

Shoot. Guess I'm going to have to buy some more liquor and try this myself!

Also never had it onboard, so I was just guessing. If it worked and your like it, I win! 🍸