How are balcony rooms next to life boat?

groundloop

We MUST have a balcony room on a cruise, it's just so relaxing watching the ocean go by while reading a book and sipping a drink.  I'm looking at booking a cruise in 2022 (on the Miracle) and it looks like I'm a little late to the party since all the balcony rooms remaining are next to life boats.  

Am I going to hate  those rooms?  Would I be better off saving a little bit and going with an ocean view?  

I'm kind of thinking it's not going to be too big of a deal, we just won't be able to look down and watch the goings on when in port (especially having a good laugh watching the stragglers who almost miss the boat).

Thoughts?

Edited by groundloop

9 minutes ago, groundloop said:

We MUST have a balcony room on a cruise, it's just so relaxing watching the ocean go by while reading a book and sipping a drink.  I'm looking at booking a cruise in 2022 (on the Miracle) and it looks like I'm a little late to the party since all the balcony rooms remaining are next to life boats.  

Am I going to hate  those rooms?  Would I be better off saving a little bit and going with an ocean view?  

I'm kind of thinking it's not going to be too big of a deal, we just won't be able to look down and watch the goings on when in port (especially having a good laugh watching the stragglers who almost miss the boat).

Thoughts?

If you Google the stateroom number, you might see the balcony view.  I had looked at them and decided the view would not be ideal since I was taking a first timer.

I like them just fine when I've been upgraded to one from a lower category room, or if the cost is only a little more than an inside or window room. I really do value the sea air, but not highly enough to spend a lot of money.  If it's quite a upgrade cost to get a balcony room, I want a real balcony with a real view - or (most likely) I'll just book the low cost inside and content myself with the many open decks all over the ship.  

25 minutes ago, beachbum53 said:

groundloop, are you only able to go during one specific week, or would you be able to book at a different time when there might be more balcony cabins available, specifically any that don't have any lifeboats beside them?

Unfortunately this is the only date that's available, otherwise I'd definitely look at different options.  

14 minutes ago, MommytoAsquared said:

I had this happen a last week when I booked a June 2022 cruise on the Pride.  You might consider waiting a few days...

A few days ago, it was only showing obstructed view balcony rooms.  I waited a few days and more "normal" balcony rooms opened up.

I wonder if a travel agent would have access to a normal balcony?

10 hours ago, groundloop said:

Unfortunately this is the only date that's available, otherwise I'd definitely look at different options.  

I wonder if a travel agent would have access to a normal balcony?

That is possible.Travel agents are sometimes able to reserve a block of cabins to sell. If you're working with a TA, ask if she/he can help you get the balcony cabin (or one similar) that you'd prefer. 

1 hour ago, Aplmac said:

Balcony cabins are so over-rated!

Get the Ocean View

and have all that balcony space included in your cabin..

Lol.  I'd give up half the remaining cabin to get a bigger balcony!  We just need somewhere to shower and sleep, we love sitting out on the balcony!

• Like 3

Pre COVID, I would book an inside if solo, a balcony otherwise.

Post COVID, I would only book balconies, as insurance against a lockdown in a windowless, tiny room.  

And if booking a balcony, I would want an unobstructed view. JMO, YMMV.

Edited by evandbob
  • Like 2

I was able to find a bit more information on the 'lifeboat balconies' on the Miracle.  The first 3 boats on each side are Tender Boats, and the top of the boat is approximately even with the top of the balcony railing.  The remaining boats are regular lifeboats, with the top of the boat approximately even with the balcony floor, which doesn't seem too bad.  

I also checked with the travel agent I'd used on another booking and they didn't have any more balconies available either.  SO...... we're going to go with the lifeboat balcony.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, groundloop said:

Thoughts?

groundloop, if there are any balcony’s available at the rear of the ship you might be able to get one that is not blocking your view. We were on the Miracle with an obstructed view a few years ago. The balcony was considered obstructed because when you looked down the ship you saw a life boat. Had a beautiful view of Alaska.