Will ships be stopped from sailing from British ports before 17th May?

Windsurfboy

I'm currently booked for Iona to go on 15th. If P&O runs a shorter cruise starting a couple of days later then we could be on her maiden! 

Alternatively we could set off on the 15th and get to the first 'international' destination on the 17th. Might that work?

Probably not. 

I think it will still be some time before cruises on the current itineraries will happen.

A huge amount of work will need to be done to get the ships ready for paying guests, recruiting crew and training crew etc.

Then there's all the issues about whether ports will accept ships etc.

Maybe we can expect a few tester cruises by late summer,. 

• Like 4

People are forgetting about the foreign ports will they open up to cruises?

Also the staff, who will provide vaccines for them. Their own countries or the cruise companies? 

I guess around uk first to "test the water" so to speak. Then maybe cruising from July depending on other countries. 

41 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Any mention of vaccine passports?

Paraphrasing it... he mentioned they were looking at vaccine 'certification', but with potential issues like discrimination etc. very much in mind.

• Like 1

This from gov website. 

A second review will consider the resumption of international travel

which is vital for many businesses which have been hardest hit

including retail, hospitality, tourism and aviation.

A successor to the Global Travel Taskforce will report by 12 April so that people can plan for the summer.

So maybe some news after the 12th

• Like 1

Just now, Scriv said:

Paraphrasing it... he mentioned they were looking at vaccine 'certification', but with potential issues like discrimination etc. very much in mind.

If required by another country then uk will have to provide them. Its more dependant on them rather then us setting one up.

10 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

This from gov website. 

A second review will consider the resumption of international travel

which is vital for many businesses which have been hardest hit

including retail, hospitality, tourism and aviation.

A successor to the Global Travel Taskforce will report by 12 April so that people can plan for the summer.

So maybe some news after the 12th

Is it up on the website now? I can't find it -

PS Have just found it. COVID-19 Response - Spring 2021 - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Edited by Scriv

40 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I think it will still be some time before cruises on the current itineraries will happen.

A huge amount of work will need to be done to get the ships ready for paying guests, recruiting crew and training crew etc.

Then there's all the issues about whether ports will accept ships etc.

Maybe we can expect a few tester cruises by late summer,. 

I hope that even after a 15 month lay-off most hotel staff will have retained enough knowledge to slot back into  normal working practices.

I am still convinced that the tourist industry in most european countries is desparate to get back to work, and the shore excursion providers, bars and restaurants near to ports, as well as the port employees will all be pressuring the port authorities to open up ASAP.

As regards vaccination all UK national staff will have been immunised by May/June, and I imagine cruise lines are already looking at how they can get their foreign nationals vaccinated.

Many on here said vaccinating the entire UK in less than 2 years would be difficult, so there is no need to be pessimistic about the above scenarios.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

As regards vaccination all UK national staff will have been immunised by May/June

Immunised with BOTH DOSES - as the lines will likely insist upon. And that on a 12 week vaccine cycle ? Plus the 3 weeks to build up full power? No chance that happens by May/June. You are looking at October at the earliest for that. Most of the bridge staff on QM2 appear to be younger than 40 so in the bottom grouping in this. P&O are probably the same.

Edited by ace2542
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I hope that even after a 15 month lay-off most hotel staff will have retained enough knowledge to slot back into  normal working practices.

I am still convinced that the tourist industry in most european countries is desparate to get back to work, and the shore excursion providers, bars and restaurants near to ports, as well as the port employees will all be pressuring the port authorities to open up ASAP.

As regards vaccination all UK national staff will have been immunised by May/June, and I imagine cruise lines are already looking at how they can get their foreign nationals vaccinated.

Many on here said vaccinating the entire UK in less than 2 years would be difficult, so there is no need to be pessimistic about the above scenarios.

Do me a favour, and stop telling me what I need to think.

You often complain that people with your mindset aren’t allowed to have your opinion on this forum, yet you actively attempt to squash other people’s opinions. 

You may not realise it, but you are being very disrespectful, and it is time to stop. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

My view is cruises will be a few weeks later early June at earliest

Depends what you mean by cruises. ‘Normal’ overseas travel probably won’t start until June and cruises are not normal overseas holidays. They are a completely different thing and all the reasons that made them the first type of holiday to be pulled will almost certainly make them the last to be reinstated. Obviously it’s all guess work, but my money would be on a few tester cruises to nowhere or around UK cruises possibly around June / July time but I will be very surprised if conventional overseas cruises happen before around September.