Will ships be stopped from sailing from British ports before 17th May?

Windsurfboy

20 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Do me a favour, and stop telling me what I need to think.

You often complain that people with your mindset aren’t allowed to have your opinion on this forum, yet you actively attempt to squash other people’s opinions. 

You may not realise it, but you are being very disrespectful, and it is time to stop. 

Stating an opinion isn't telling you what you need to think! 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Stating an opinion isn't telling you what you need to think! 

He told me ‘there’s no need to be pessimistic’

That’s not an opinion about the situation- that’s telling me how to think and also labelling my opinion.

He does this time after time. That’s why I mentioned it - he always does this, it’s by no means the first time 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Depends what you mean by cruises. ‘Normal’ overseas travel probably won’t start until June and cruises are not normal overseas holidays. They are a completely different thing and all the reasons that made them the first type of holiday to be pulled will almost certainly make them the last to be reinstated. Obviously it’s all guess work, but my money would be on a few tester cruises to nowhere or around UK cruises possibly around June / July time but I will be very surprised if conventional overseas cruises happen before around September. 

Watch out, somebody will be along to tell you that’s there’s no need for you to be pessimistic 😉

2 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

He told me ‘there’s no need to be pessimistic’

That’s not an opinion about the situation- that’s telling me how to think and also labelling my opinion.

He does this time after time. That’s why I mentioned it - he always does this, it’s by no means the first time 

Ah yes, fair point. Although I do agree with him 😉

3 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Watch out, somebody will be along to tell you that’s there’s no need for you to be pessimistic 😉

Don’t worry. I learned long ago the rules on here when it comes to discussing the resumption of cruises;

Realistic assessment based upon logic = negative / pessimistic

Cloud cuckoo land optimism & wishful thinking, ignoring all facts = realism. 

You need to get with the programme 😉 

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Selbourne said:

Don’t worry. I learned long ago the rules on here when it comes to discussing the resumption of cruises;

Realistic assessment based upon logic = negative / pessimistic

Cloud cuckoo land optimism & wishful thinking, ignoring all facts = realism. 

You need to get with the programme 😉 

😂

Hi everyone,

I have (... well, had 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️) two one week cruises booked - one with Royal leaving 7th May and then one with P&O leaving 15th May both from Southampton. Now obviously due to the announcement this evening, I will not be able to go on either of these, but is there any chance whatsoever that the ship might still sail (with passengers who have flown to the UK and then cruise out of it)?  I suppose what I’m asking is, is there a possibility that I might be refused a refund of my deposit because the ship is still sailing? Or do you think ships will be prevented from sailing out of British ports - until after 17th May? Any help would be appreciated - thanks 😀

18 minutes ago, shopaholic6 said:
14 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I wouldn't think there is a snowball's chance in hell of ships sailing by then.  Sorry.

I could not have put it better Jean.

I am thinking that since the review on travel abroad is not due until 12th April, would that mean cruise lines could not be assured of some certainty about cruising starting on any specific date until then?  Hence, given a three month preparation time, does that mean mid July at the earliest for a re start?  They are not so much questions, as thoughts about how P&O will react with the next cancellation tranche.  Hopefully we will not have too long for that information.

Edited by tring
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

International travel is not even considered until June?

No it states possibly from 17th May - my cruises won’t be going ahead but if there is any chance the ship may sail, I might be struggling for a refund. That’s what happened with flights - passengers weren’t allowed to fly under UK rules however the flights still went and people were denied refunds.

Just now, jeanlyon said:

Don't agree.  If you read through it says this at 21st june.

"A second review will consider the resumption of international travel

It’s not a case of what you agree with.

it’s the case that the government have said May 17th is earliest for international travel. Read the government website again. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shopaholic6 said:

No it states possibly from 17th May - my cruises won’t be going ahead but if there is any chance the ship may sail, I might be struggling for a refund. That’s what happened with flights - passengers weren’t allowed to fly under UK rules however the flights still went and people were denied refunds.

No need to worry. Zero chance of either cruise happening at all. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes, that's what is says, but followed by "A second review will consider the resumption of international travel

That's after mid May.

No, end of argument is the roadmap released by government with this image. 17th May, subject to review beforehand, not after! 

E9A33240-B81E-490B-A525-085A814DA584.jpeg

4 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes, that's what is says, but followed by "A second review will consider the resumption of international travel

That's after mid May.

The second review you’re talking about will actually have the details released on April 12th. 

• Like 1

In my opinion, there is no chance of P&O starting cruises in May. Even if the government says a couple of days before the cruise is due to leave that cruising can restart, logistically it would be impossible to achieve in such a short space of time. They will announce a next tranche of cancellations, probably fairly soon, and my guess is that nothing will go before July unless a few non-stop test cruises sail prior to that. I am booked on a cruise from August 5th and am not confident it will happen. 

• Like 8

Just now, pete14 said:

In my opinion, there is no chance of P&O starting cruises in May. Even if the government says a couple of days before the cruise is due to leave that cruising can restart, logistically it would be impossible to achieve in such a short space of time. They will announce a next tranche of cancellations, probably fairly soon, and my guess is that nothing will go before July unless a few non-stop test cruises sail prior to that. I am booked on a cruise from August 5th and am not confident it will happen. 

Absolutely Pete.

1 minute ago, jeanlyon said:

Ha ha.  If 17th May is the first date for domestic overnight stay and International Travel says (subject to review) you can bet it won't start then.

No it isn’t, April 12th is domestic overnight stay. Goodness Jean I really think you should re read all the details. 

the international review will be before April 12th so if it’s a yes which it will most likely be (we travelled last year!) then it will be allowed from May 17th.

• Like 1

Just now, joeecco said:

No it isn’t, April 12th is domestic overnight stay. Goodness Jean I really think you should re read all the details. 

the international review will be before April 12th so if it’s a yes which it will most likely be (we travelled last year!) then it will be allowed from May 17th.

Well sorry, but in your own picture above in Green, it says 17th May - in the last column it says domestic overnight stay followed by International Travel.