Will ships be stopped from sailing from British ports before 17th May?

Windsurfboy

8 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I haven’t seen any announcement that there will be one but who knows? 🤔

P&O put out a general statement on their social media page yesterday. 

As already mentioned on other threads, it's unlikely they will make an announcement until after March 1st, when their current promotion ends.

39 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

Holy moley I think I aged a year just reading this thread!

I find it amazing how people can read the same words but interpret them differently I read it as 'on May 17th the government will decide when foreign travel can begin'. 

Avril    

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

I try and avoid this place nowadays. Too depressing with all the doom and gloom predictions.  I only pop on now and again to see if Moley has posted anything. 

As one of the ' positive gang ' Your popping is a ray of sunshine. I hope you keep on popping on.,🤣

• Like 1

I had this email from a Travel Agent this morning

·        Hotels are planning to reopen from 17 May, in time for a spring getaway. 

And while there is no fixed date yet on international travel, it could be as early as 17 May

That's as clear as it can be atm

Cathy

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I find it amazing how people can read the same words but interpret them differently I read it as 'on May 17th the government will decide when foreign travel can begin'. 

Avril    

Yes, that always amuses me too. However, I ploughed through the whole 60 page roadmap last night as I wasn’t 100% clear on several aspects and, in so far as overseas travel is concerned, it says that 17th May is the earliest date that international travel might be possible (as opposed to definitely will). It is dependent upon the recommendations of a review body. Of course, what many overlook is that overseas travel isn’t just dependent upon what we in the UK think, but what the countries we intend to visit will agree to. I would say that it’s looking likely that some overseas travel will be possible from 17th May (unless we hit some bumps in the road between now and then) but I can’t see that including cruises as 17th May is the earliest date that UK hotels open and a cruise ship is about as big a hotel that you can get and it floats to multiple overseas countries! 

• Like 6

I almost can't believe the number of people booking flights and foreign holidays.  Then they've got all the hassle of trying to get refunds if it all goes belly up.  All over the news this morning.  Thank you both for confirming what it said.  I find the block button very useful on here 🤣

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Selbourne said:

Yes, that always amuses me too. However, I ploughed through the whole 60 page roadmap last night as I wasn’t 100% clear on several aspects and, in so far as overseas travel is concerned, it says that 17th May is the earliest date that international travel might be possible (as opposed to definitely will). It is dependent upon the recommendations of a review body. Of course, what many overlook is that overseas travel isn’t just dependent upon what we in the UK think, but what the countries we intend to visit will agree to. I would say that it’s looking likely that some overseas travel will be possible from 17th May (unless we hit some bumps in the road between now and then) but I can’t see that including cruises as 17th May is the earliest date that UK hotels open and a cruise ship is about as big a hotel that you can get and it floats to multiple overseas countries! 

Selbourne - totally agree with that.  Where is Moley when you need him?

26 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril    

Not sure if you saw Boris making his statement in the HOC but he gave more detail there about foreign travel. He said that a review will take place around foreign travel which will report on 12th April. He said they then hope to be able to give people some more info as to when and how foreign travel will resume to give some certainty about booking summer holidays. But the earliest that foreign travel will start is 17th May. 

Edited by cruisenewbie1976
Typo
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I almost can't believe the number of people booking flights and foreign holidays.  Then they've got all the hassle of trying to get refunds if it all goes belly up.  All over the news this morning.  Thank you both for confirming what it said.  I find the block button very useful on here 🤣

The same thing happened when vaccinations started. I think it is that glimmer of hope for many people who are desperate to get away. Hopefully it will all work out. We will sit tight until things are a bit clearer.

• Like 2

I think the only problem with that is whether the other countries are going to allow normal travel without quarantine.

Just read this on the Beeb website

"

Despite question marks over the return of international travel, the UK's biggest holiday operator, Tui, said bookings jumped 500% overnight.

The government said a decision on easing international travel would not happen until mid-May at the earliest.

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I did notice that cruising was not specifically mentioned, only UK hotels, which was a concern for me.

Avril

2 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I think the only problem with that is whether the other countries are going to allow normal travel without quarantine.

I'm sure he said that they were in talks with other countries to work out a plan. Presumably something similar to last year when they had the travel corridors. I didn't pay as much attention to that bit though as he was starting to waffle 🤣

Edited by cruisenewbie1976
Typo

14 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Me too. Keeps the blood pressure down😊

Avril

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

They aren’t confirming what was said, they are stating how they read it.

again, the government said May 17th is the earliest date international travel can possibly resume. So I was right.

you said the date was June which was incorrect. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

The same thing happened when vaccinations started. I think it is that glimmer of hope for many people who are desperate to get away. Hopefully it will all work out. We will sit tight until things are a bit clearer.

Same here, we won't be booking anything at the moment. The holidays already booked for Cornwall & Dorset in May and June, the cruise in August and Menorca in September don't leave much room. Hang on July is empty, I wonder if........🤔

• Like 1