Good News / Good Progress towards back to Cruising....

NavyCruiser

Just saw NY Times: 

New Covid -19 cases down 73% from Jan 10 - Feb 21

& New Deaths down 69% from Jan 14 - Feb 21

According to CDC,  64 Million cumulative doses of vaccine has already been administered

All of my family members 65 & above have had their 2nd vaccinations already.

Got email from VA below, so trying to get mine later this weekend.

So trying to be positive, thinking cruising will be back soon...

email-icon-reading_original.png

VISN 16 – Houston VA Medical Center – Announcement

Dear Veteran,

Your VA is proud to offer the COVID vaccine to all enrolled Veterans ages 50 and over!

This week we will be opening a special Drive thru vaccine clinic on our main hospital campus, located at 2002 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX 77030. The Drive-Thru Clinic will be open Wednesday through Friday, February 24-26, from noon to 6 p.m. and Saturday, February 27, from 8 a.m. to noon.

Enter through our Almeda gate to get the COVID vaccine at the VA Regional Office on our campus without leaving the comfort of your car.  No appointment is necessary for these drive thru vaccine clinics.

Veterans will receive a two-dose series of vaccinations and will receive an appointment for their second vaccine dose when they check in to get the first dose. 

If you are 50 years and older and would prefer to make an appointment to get the COVID vaccine at our main medical center during the week, call us at 713-794-8985.  If you already have an appointment to get the vaccine, please keep your appointment.

Thank you for choosing the Houston VA as your healthcare provider. It is our honor and privilege to serve you.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone know if the VA offers this in all states or just Texas?  I never received an Email like that.  I did enroll on a Florida State Email site and was enrolled to receive the vaccine.  That was weeks and I never heard from them again and now we have the weather delay.

4 hours ago, richfret said:

Does anyone know if the VA offers this in all states or just Texas?  I never received an Email like that.  I did enroll on a Florida State Email site and was enrolled to receive the vaccine.  That was weeks and I never heard from them again and now we have the weather delay.

It’s is in Florida VA , there is a delay in moderna vax due to weather ,  don’t wait till they get back to you . 
three sites in Florida  plus publix supermarket . Insee you are in lee county now .. they have a very high percentage of seniors vaccinated .. get on the three sites and Publix and check in every day .. you will get it if you are persistent .. good luck 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm 71 and I've received both doses at the VA in Tampa, Florida.  If you're enrolled for VA health care, check with your primary care team.  You should be able to get your shot now or very soon.  You might have to drive up to Tampa or to Bay Pines.

• Like 2

On 2/23/2021 at 8:01 AM, richfret said:

I got this message in my email today from the Bay Pines VA.  Call them.

We have great news to share!

Veterans who are 65 and older, and Veteran essential workers as defined by the CDC (any age), who are receiving care at Bay Pines, may be able to schedule an appointment to receive the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine TODAY. Appointments are also available today through February 27.

On 2/23/2021 at 6:01 AM, richfret said:

We are in Phoenix AZ and my husband received a letter and a phone call. We had already received the 1st dose and are scheduled for the 2nd. 

On 2/22/2021 at 5:22 PM, May1cruiser said:

thank you for your service. Trends do look favorable, but we have a way to go before cruising. I am personally unsure if my August cruise will happen, based on the trends. Glad your family is protected!

I have been crunching a few numbers and based on population 18 and over, that 30 percent of Americans will not wish to be vaccinated , and current rate if getting doses in arms, everyone wanting the shots will have them the first week of August in the state of NC.  This is not assuming that other vaccines will become available like the Johnson and Johnson one that should be approved soon but doesnt have a stockpile.  

Now that Canada has approved the Astra Zeneca vaccine and purchased 20 million doses this add to our previous two approved vaccines and i am hopeful my estimated vaccination timeline of Sept-Oct can be moved up.  Crossing my fingers.

2 hours ago, kdr69 said:

Now that Canada has approved the Astra Zeneca vaccine and purchased 20 million doses this add to our previous two approved vaccines and i am hopeful my estimated vaccination timeline of Sept-Oct can be moved up.  Crossing my fingers.

Wishing you in Canada good luck with that. Isn't the Astra Zeneca the vaccine that seems to be prevalent in the UK? Odd that it is not even in the trial stage in the USA.

20 hours ago, mredandchis said:

I have been crunching a few numbers and based on population 18 and over, that 30 percent of Americans will not wish to be vaccinated , and current rate if getting doses in arms, everyone wanting the shots will have them the first week of August in the state of NC.  This is not assuming that other vaccines will become available like the Johnson and Johnson one that should be approved soon but doesnt have a stockpile.  

NC here too. Based on the numbers I am seeing with J&J and Novavax most likely being approved, 100% of all eligible in the US will have a vaccine they can take by the end of July. The question cruise lines need to do immediately is get an answer from the CDC on vaccination requirements. They don't have to be definitive, but get a direction. If the CDC is hinting at vaccinations as a requirement, they need to make the statement like "If vaccines are required those that are under 16 will not be able to cruise" or "because children under the 16 will not have a vaccine available, they will be exempt if it is required. However, there will be more rigorous test requirements for those under the age of 16". 

I don't know percentages of cruisers that have kids under the age of 16, but the number can't be small. I also know it is probably not 50% either. This is a requirement that could be addressed now without the CDC making a directive that vaccines are required.

21 hours ago, kdr69 said:

Personally I dont see that timeline being moved up. Here cases are dropping and some doctors have said we could reach herd immunity as early as the end of april. Maybe after that mock cruises can start, but the news from the top here continues to ignore the good news. Where I live we still have a mask mandate. ..even if you have both shots. 

I see no signs from the cruiselines of resuming. If they were resuming soon, there would be signs. I'm hoping for September.... hope I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, BoozinCroozin said:

NC here too. Based on the numbers I am seeing with J&J and Novavax most likely being approved, 100% of all eligible in the US will have a vaccine they can take by the end of July. The question cruise lines need to do immediately is get an answer from the CDC on vaccination requirements. They don't have to be definitive, but get a direction. If the CDC is hinting at vaccinations as a requirement, they need to make the statement like "If vaccines are required those that are under 16 will not be able to cruise" or "because children under the 16 will not have a vaccine available, they will be exempt if it is required. However, there will be more rigorous test requirements for those under the age of 16". 

I don't know percentages of cruisers that have kids under the age of 16, but the number can't be small. I also know it is probably not 50% either. This is a requirement that could be addressed now without the CDC making a directive that vaccines are required.

I dont think you or I know if they will give emergency approval to children say in 6 more months of children's trials. Our news interviewed a 12 year old here involved in a trial that will go on for a year, but might have results sooner.

https://www.cruisehive.com/cayman-islands-thinks-about-cutting-cruise-tourism/47358

Does anyone have an opinion how this might effect cruising. I like the Caymans. A lot of 7 day cruises include Montego Bay, Cayman and Cozumel. With limited Caymans and Key West  possibly out, this will effect future iteniraries.

8 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Personally I dont see that timeline being moved up

Really? I would assume with an extra 20 million doses coming to Canada that it will increase my Province's allocation.  More vaccines = more people vaccinated sooner which should translate into my Segment of the population getting a shot sooner than the Sept-Oct timeslot we are in now.  No?

21 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

Really? I would assume with an extra 20 million doses coming to Canada that it will increase my Province's allocation.  More vaccines = more people vaccinated sooner which should translate into my Segment of the population getting a shot sooner than the Sept-Oct timeslot we are in now.  No?

Our president says everyone who wants the vaccine here should have it by July. Even some doctors saying as early as april we could have some herd immunity. All kinds of good news out there, except from the cdc and faucci.  Unless cdc gives cruiselines what they need to resume, I personally dont see things moving forward any faster. Its the four cdc holding things back. Just a week ago the four faucci said he can see us still wearing masks into 2022. And the cdc has to inspect every ship. 

Sorry I'm not thinking the cdc wants cruises to resume or they would at least tell the lines the requirements and let them get started. ...and I dont mean you, but I keep getting posters attacking me how the cdc only wants to protect us. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kdr69 said:

It seems to me that you and Firefly are talking about 2 different things.

You seem to be saying with the more doses in Canada you might be able to get your vaccine before your originally scheduled timeline of Sept-Oct and Firefly seems to be talking about the timeline for cruises to be moved up.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but that's my take on it.

On 2/23/2021 at 8:01 AM, richfret said:

I did enroll on a Florida State Email site and was enrolled to receive the vaccine.  That was weeks and I never heard from them again and now we have the weather delay.

For anyone enrolled in the Florida State email site: Check your junk (spam) folder everyday. The emails might be there.

I found one several days after it was sent.

Luckily, I no longer need to play in the Covid Hunger Game.  We had enrolled in the CDR Maguire system that several counties were using and we managed to book appointments in the next county down from is.