Coffee Talk

naturelovergirl

21 minutes ago, daydreamer16 said:

We love the coffee on Celebrity because our first few cruises were on Princess! They have the worst coffee, IMHO. 

That is how I feel about the coffee on Cunard... I adore the whole experience about Cunard- except the coffee... it’s very bad coffee... same Carnival umbrella as Princess... so maybe they are sharing bad coffee... hahahaha!

When we were on our very lovely Cunard cruise in 2019 we ended up going to their Cafe Carinthia to buy the specialty coffee instead....

The regular coffee was hot... it was dark... but flavor was surprisingly lacking and it was unpleasantly bitter... just very strange.

So I’m glad to read you like the coffee on Celebrity better!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hawkesbaynz said:

I prefer coffee but have to drink a tea immediately on waking. If no tea making facilities in the room I will have a tea followed immediately by a coffee at breakfast. Can confuse the waiters in Blu but if having breakfast in the buffet will grab a coffee on the way back to the cabin from Cafe Baccio.

Life has become sad in Lockdown Britain. My weekly treat is to walk the Labrador puppy around a large pet store and grab her some dental chews, then buy a Flat white in Starbucks getting the 25 pence discount by having it poured into my NZ All Blacks cup.  Roll on mid-May when we might be able to travel and go to the pub!

Nice to be able to get a flat white when away from home. I found a Starbucks in Istanbul that served them.

I don't mind the Lavazza on Celebrity but that's about as far as it goes for me when cruising. My late wife used to take, from home, Aldi packet cappuccino (double strength) on cruises. It was better than the cappuccino she got from Baccio on Solstice.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, daydreamer16 said:

I'm getting the second dose of the vaccine this Friday, so early March, we are going to eat inside at a real restaurant. It's the little things 😀

I am dreaming of that too. Mid-May for indoor restaurants/bars for that too. Just cancelled an early May trip to London as nothing would be open😪. All vaccinated up too.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, naturelovergirl said:

...  I totally agree with some of the posters above who said they try different coffee while in port... love doing that too!!!

Off topic - but one of our favorite things to do is try coffee prepared & served in the typical manner for the country/location as we travel. 

Then again, I also like to try a Coke (Coca Cola) as well, then there's the beer, wine, cocktails...

• Like 1

Cafe Baccio used to be a great spot any time of day...

Once the drink packages came on line,  it became overcrowded ( and seriously understaffed) with many lining up in their PJs or swimsuits for Coffee to G or drinks.

Wish more folks would go to Baccio 2 at  the entry of the buffet for their coffees to go! But sometimes that line is long too...also serves alcohol. Even if you just want water, you have to line up.

We spent many  late afternoons at Baccio  having our afternoon treats while listening to great live classical or mellow music. Many officers used to hang out there as well.  Now,  card players take over tables for the day...much more crowded and noisy. 

But we can still find some off times to enjoy peaceful coffees or teas with  lovely sea views...

• Like 2

13 hours ago, naturelovergirl said:

That is how I feel about the coffee on Cunard... I adore the whole experience about Cunard- except the coffee... it’s very bad coffee... same Carnival umbrella as Princess... so maybe they are sharing bad coffee... hahahaha!

When we were on our very lovely Cunard cruise in 2019 we ended up going to their Cafe Carinthia to buy the specialty coffee instead....

The regular coffee was hot... it was dark... but flavor was surprisingly lacking and it was unpleasantly bitter... just very strange.

So I’m glad to read you like the coffee on Celebrity better!

I have also had bad coffee on Cunard, but their quality seems irregular. At times, the dining room coffee has been reasonable, not great but drinkable, and at other times...what comes below abysmal?

I've found the Celebrity dining room coffee to at least be consistent in its quality, which I also classify as reasonable, not great but drinkable.

Edited by ExArkie
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Nice to be able to get a flat white when away from home. I found a Starbucks in Istanbul that served them.

I don't mind the Lavazza on Celebrity but that's about as far as it goes for me when cruising. My late wife used to take, from home, Aldi packet cappuccino (double strength) on cruises. It was better than the cappuccino she got from Baccio on Solstice.

This brings me back to my Solstice cruise around your country a couple of years back.  I stayed at the Marriott in Sydney and they had a Starbucks.  I had no idea what a Flat White coffee was.  But I ordered one and found out.  The coffee terminology and traditions and tastes vary by country.  So questions about coffee on Celebrity pretty much depend on your country of origin.

Edited by TeeRick
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I had no idea what a Flat White coffee was.  But I ordered one and found out.  The coffee terminology and traditions and tastes vary by country.  So questions about coffee on Celebrity pretty much depend on your country of origin.

How does it differ from a Latte?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

How does it differ from a Latte?

It should be smaller, in general, and have more espresso to milk. Most descriptions I've seen of a true Flat White (not to be confused with SBUX) are two shots of espresso and steamed milk in a 5-6 ounce cup. For SBUX, a tall flat white is 12 ounces total with two shots of espresso; a tall latte is 12 ounces total with 1 shot of espresso. Which I guess means that my triple grande latte is essentially a grande flat white...

Edited by markeb
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, TeeRick said:

This brings me back to my Solstice cruise around your country a couple of years back.  I stayed at the Marriott in Sydney and they had a Starbucks.  I had no idea what a Flat White coffee was.  But I ordered one and found out.  The coffee terminology and traditions and tastes vary by country.  So questions about coffee on Celebrity pretty much depend on your country of origin.

True. I was in Changi airport a few years ago and couldn't order a Long Black. The nearest they got to it, once I described it, was an Americano which I had never heard of - it wasn't quite the same thing.

• Like 1

For the price of a cruise you can buy this like I did and enjoy coffee almost any way you like it    

I have one and  it paid for itself compared to what it would have cost going to Starbucks 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

On 2/24/2021 at 9:18 AM, TeeRick said:

The coffee terminology and traditions and tastes vary by country.  So questions about coffee on Celebrity pretty much depend on your country of origin.

I have a feeling I would like the coffee options on a European cruise more. They are not afraid of high fat content cream! Unfortunately, when I was stationed in Europe I was not a coffee drinker so didn't get to experiment there. I'm still figuring out what I like. Started out drinking it black but now love the heavy cream. Don't think I will ever like it with sugar.

• Like 2

My first memory of coffee was when I was about 2 - Gramphs loved his "coffee" and was always willing to share 🙂 
Of course his coffee was very light & w/ lots of sugar...

My little sister & I send coffee flavored candy to each other - as it so reminds us of Gramphs "coffee"

I started drinking coffee when I was 16 - I became a restaurant server. 

Coffee was free to drink - I would start my shift w/ coffee, 2 creamers & 2 packs of sugar...
Through the shift I would refill my cup (those tiny restaurant cups @ the time), but never added any creamer nor sugar...

Within a couple of weeks I was drinking my coffee black 🙂
These days - my stomach doesn't enjoy coffee as much as it used to...

Therefore I generally have only (2) cups (large mugs) per day & I now add heavy cream...
I love my espresso & on the rare occasion I have it (generally vacation) - I ENJOY!!!

• Like 2

I’m afraid a Nespresso Essenza mini suits me fine at home.

It only makes two sizes,Espresso/Ristretto or Lungo.

If I want added milk I make a Cortado with Ristretto with hot milk in a 110ml glass.

Dozens of pods to try until I find the ones I like.up till now it’s a Dutch company called L’Or.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Von & John said:

My first memory of coffee was when I was about 2 - Gramphs loved his "coffee" and was always willing to share 🙂 
Of course his coffee was very light & w/ lots of sugar...

My little sister & I send coffee flavored candy to each other - as it so reminds us of Gramphs "coffee"

Wonderful story

😊

Gramphs Coffee!

I started drinking coffee with my grandparents too... my parents did not drink coffee, so when I went to my grandparents’ house they would offer me coffee... it was special! They also started me off on weak, sweet, and milky coffee... I soon moved on to black coffee. I do drink my iced tea unsweetened too (much to the dismay of many of my southern friends and family... ha!) so black coffee was an easy transition.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, naturelovergirl said:

Wonderful story

😊

Gramphs Coffee!

I started drinking coffee with my grandparents too... my parents did not drink coffee, so when I went to my grandparents’ house they would offer me coffee... it was special! They also started me off on weak, sweet, and milky coffee... I soon moved on to black coffee. I do drink my iced tea unsweetened too (much to the dismay of many of my southern friends and family... ha!) so black coffee was an easy transition.

Unsweetened Tea here as well 🙂

On 2/25/2021 at 12:22 PM, JeanieC,Aston said:

I’m afraid a Nespresso Essenza mini suits me fine at home.

It only makes two sizes,Espresso/Ristretto or Lungo.

If I want added milk I make a Cortado with Ristretto with hot milk in a 110ml glass.

Dozens of pods to try until I find the ones I like.up till now it’s a Dutch company called L’Or.

We also have a Nespresso machine, and really like the coffee.  I like my espressos, and my DW likes to add hot milk to hers.  Much tastier than Keurig pods.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

We also have a Nespresso machine, and really like the coffee.  I like my espressos, and my DW likes to add hot milk to hers.  Much tastier than Keurig pods.

Totally agree on Nespresso!  Have you tried the coffees specifically for iced coffee, so delish!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, zitsky said:

But chocolate snobs likely wouldn't. You want a stronger, but smooth, dark chocolate - at least 70%- to complement the coffee bean. 60%  is just cheaping out.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mom says said:

But chocolate snobs likely wouldn't. You want a stronger, but smooth, dark chocolate - at least 70%- to complement the coffee bean. 60%  is just cheaping out.

Alright then.  Well we could chew the beans right off the coffee plant.

• Haha 1